interested in buying my first AR-15 need advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Having been in both factories I am convinced that Daniel Defense builds a better rifle than Colt or anybody else making ARs.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Having been in both factories I am convinced that Daniel Defense builds a better rifle than Colt or anybody else making ARs.

Yea, I was 50/50 between DD and BCM, got a DD because it seemed like everyone and their moms was doing BCM. I found a deal that got me a complete upper with all DD components, for less than comparable BCM parts, and pulled the trigger on it. Never looked back, and couldn't be happier. It's boring in it's reliability. I'm only a few thousand into it, so take that fwiw. Never had one issue though.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Go with a good basic rifle from one of these THREE brands: Colt, BCM, or Daniel Defense. All are top of the line and can be had for right at $1000 a rifle (or less if you find a sale).

Why pay $100 less for a rifle that the manufacturer cut corners on, when you could save up just a bit longer and get something you could depend on if your life is at stake.

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    Spikes tactical, stag, daniel defence are my top choices. My m&p lower was wore out after 1000rnds. Friends bushmaster's barrel began to sag at 2000 rounds and I have no experience with any other brands. But I have been told that palmetto and bcm are great products.

Edit becasue I am on drugs today and somewhat unpleasant.

I'll just give an example instead.....I own a lever action rifle, but I have never really taken the time to learn anything in particular about them.....therefore I would never get on a public forum and tell people about them....know what I mean?

To the OP, if you can give some thoughts on what you want to do with the rifle, just have fun, plinking, defense course, zombie attack, etc, that will help the crowd.

Carry on.

Last edited:

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    My advice is to do some reseach on your own, not 100% based on internet opinion. It's ALL out there if you search for it...and Google IS your friend.

Just like the old saying, "measure twice, cut once". Once you've plunked down the bucks, you're done, good or bad.

And having a purpose in mind for the rifle as previously noted will certainly help you narrow your search. Just gonna plink occasionally? ANy brand name will probably do. Building your ultimate bunker and need AR"s as a main defense, different horse entirely.

My answer is probably not much help to you...but you didn't give much info either .

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I liked sabre defense before they dicked up. Now, I'm a noveske fan now, but DD is good, too. To me there are good ar and bad ar manufacturers. The rest is just preference.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    That last statement is further proof that you don't know what your talking about. There are huge differences in process and QC even amongst the good brands.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom