Internet speed question.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    We have a Cox package and I just did a speedtest. 24ms ping, 115.64 Mbps Download, 11.70 Mbps upload. That's just on one server though. I highly doubt I get anything that fast from most of the interwebz.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    We have a Cox package and I just did a speedtest. 24ms ping, 115.64 Mbps Download, 11.70 Mbps upload. That's just on one server though. I highly doubt I get anything that fast from most of the interwebz.

If your decimal points are in the correct position, you have a screaming fast connection!! With my cable speeds being 17.7 down, 1.27 up and a 26ms ping. :(

Dredd

Punisher
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    184   0   0
    Jun 16, 2007
    Folsom, LA
    They are both fiber fed, but the vrad has better hardware for faster speeds and video. :)

Last edited:

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Because Vrads act as only nodes once did. Would it suprise you to know that several Vrads are being fed on multimode (OM2) fiber?

C'mon Google fiber.

Dredd

Punisher
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    184   0   0
    Jun 16, 2007
    Folsom, LA
    No it doesn't surprise me. My only point of any of this was vrad based vdsl uverse is far superior to older adsl.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I agree its far better in terms of speed, However the same limits apply for the same reason.. and does it surprise you the vrad can be called something else depending on who is using it, and who is equipping it?

Fiber fed or copper fed, ATM or or some BGP IP connections or even metro Enet.. the limit is both the backplane and the end loop..

Give you some history, Prior to the deregulation, the big phone companies mainly ATT had to pay a tax on unused copper .. There was not an incentive to put in new copper..
    After the dereg.. the cost was so high and everyone was scared to spend money on the plant. when the analog repeaters were required every mile or so, depending on copper size the separation of the distribution copper and the feeder copper.. two different treatments.. one for voice one for carrier. DSL and specifically ADSL was the answer to that.. but to use it, it had to be copper without load coils.. after they were removed, it could carry data in the entire spectrum not just the voice portions.. Now with the newer DSL, it carries roughly 5x the amount, but at a cost.. it bleeds over the adjacent pairs so badly, only it can be used in the same copper..

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    it bleeds over the adjacent pairs so badly, only it can be used in the same copper..

Hence the rise or the DSL and following ADSL technology.
    After the divestiture Bell was OK for a while with voice and even dial-up, but higher speeds caused a need to look at newer technologies to utilize the infrastructure Ma Bell had put in place many years ago.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So an adsl dslam has the same hardware as a vrad?

No. Very different hardware installed.

More like the Vrad is feed with fiber and provides ADSL service to customers, to over simplify it.

No. A VRAD is only a VRAD if it supports streaming video distribution. Namely, U-Verse video and data splitting. You can have an ADSL cabinet next to it splitting data access to ADSL customers (but rare in metro areas).

If you are considering att uverse.. the technology is ADSL.. they changed the name for marketing purposes to mask the fiber fed houses and the non fiber fed.. they are both.. uverse..
    I have a customer who has the fastest connection over copper.. they say its 3 meg.. I do not see it.. in fact.. When streaming netflix or amazon.. the audio goes in and out with the speed quality..

Let me say it this way, with the upgrades of more quality video and the average speed now needed to watch tv or surf ... I suggest a min speed of 5meg.. I dont game.. So I cannot reference any of that.. If you want to use it for streaming services.. get what you can afford..

No, the technology is either ADSL or VDSL2. The naming convention is U-Verse High Speed Internet (VDSL2) or U-Verse DSL High Speed Internet (ADSL). They don't roll the two together under the same name. Also, NO U-Verse customers have FTTP service (that's separate, passive fiber that is pretty slow). VDSL2 uses the VRAD to split video and data over single or bonded pairs. Bonded pairs come into play for speeds over 30Mbps.

There's a world of difference between ADSL and VDSL2:

zG3J24.png

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Your right, my knowledge is dated.. My point is .. If the common user calls.. like the last two friends I suggested to call.. they sell uverse.. they do not tell or explain or even understand what delivery method is..

The rub is not with the naming.. its the purposeful misleading name..

Thanks for correcting my understanding as well.. I stopped doing that work in 06.. went to avaya and cisco more than end service delivery of layer 1-3// kinda cool to see the advance..

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Your right, my knowledge is dated.. My point is .. If the common user calls.. like the last two friends I suggested to call.. they sell uverse.. they do not tell or explain or even understand what delivery method is..

The rub is not with the naming.. its the purposeful misleading name..

Thanks for correcting my understanding as well.. I stopped doing that work in 06.. went to avaya and cisco more than end service delivery of layer 1-3// kinda cool to see the advance..

Yeah, I see where it would be confused. Here's their current breakdown:

Broadband Service Product Name*Downstream Speed RangeUpload Speed Range
    AT&T High Speed Internet Basic
    FastAccess DSL Lite
    200 Kbps - 768 Kbps128 Kbps - 384 Kbps
    AT&T High Speed Internet Express
    FastAccess DSL Ultra
    769 Kbps - 1.5 Mbps128 Kbps - 384 Kbps
    AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Express1 Mbps - 1.5 Mbps384 Kbps - 1 Mbps
    AT&T High Speed Internet Pro
    AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Pro
    FastAccess DSL Xtreme
    1.56 Mbps - 3.0 Mbps384 Kbps - 1 Mbps
    AT&T High Speed Internet Elite
    AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet
    FastAccess DSL Xtreme 6.0
    3.1 Mbps - 6 Mbps512 Kbps - 1 Mbps
    AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max6.1 Mbps - 12 Mbps512 Kbps - 1.5 Mbps
    AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max Plus12.1 Mbps - 18 Mbps768 Kbps - 1.5 Mbps
    AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max Turbo18.1 Mbps - 24 Mbps768 Kbps - 3 Mbps
    AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Power (45M)24.1 Mbps - 45 Mbps3 Mbps - 6 Mbps
    AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Power (75M)45.1 Mbps - 75 Mbps6 Mbps - 8 Mbps
    AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet 100 (100M)**Up to 100 MbpsUp to 100 Mbps
    AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet 300**Up to 300 MbpsUp to 300 Mbps
    AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet 1000 (1G)**Up to 1000 MbpsUp to 1000 Mbps

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    I do not know what I have but I know what I had. High speed internet was not available this far out from a city when I moved here 12 yrs ago. I bought a private satellite system and it was way better than dial up but had limitations in addition to cost.

Then I went to ComCast years later when they moved into the area. Worse service, more tech calls and higher rates than anything else. Dropped them in three months

Got ATT. Impressed. Upgraded as their Ports increased and speeds increased. Not once have I had to call them back out for tech service or trouble service. The speeds are close to being instant. The cost is reasonable.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Since there seems to be some techy people here I have another question on something that is driving me crazy. Using windows XP I want to be able to see when the last time a program was opened. I've tried going to control panel..uninstall program...right clicking on the program but the only option is to uninstall. I've opened up the list of all programs and do not see any options in there either. All I want to do is see the date the last time a program was opened. It's not a windows program, but an installed one. I've googled it and nothing seems to work.
    Any ideas?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Since there seems to be some techy people here I have another question on something that is driving me crazy. Using windows XP I want to be able to see when the last time a program was opened. I've tried going to control panel..uninstall program...right clicking on the program but the only option is to uninstall. I've opened up the list of all programs and do not see any options in there either. All I want to do is see the date the last time a program was opened. It's not a windows program, but an installed one. I've googled it and nothing seems to work.
    Any ideas?

BEAN-say-what.jpg

In all seriousness, right click and click properties. It will tell you when the last time you accessed it, but it depends on how it was opened (via Shortcut, Taskbar, Start Menu, etc.)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom