Inviting an officer into your home / consent to search house

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    I understand the best option is to politely refuse entry and state I will not consent to a search. I watched some videos and had a few questions.

If an officer comes to my door and asks to come in and I let him/her, did I just consent to a search of my home? If I did let them into my home, and they search my house while I am saying 'hey don't do that, I didn't consent to a search' and want to look inside my gun safe or other locked area, can I refuse and force them to get a warrant? If I invite them into my house and then state I'm not agreeing to a search how does that work (did I already agree and am now SOL)?

This has never happened to me.

Picture something along these lines:
    Officer: Hi, I'm officer suchandsuch, do you mind if I come in for a moment?
    Me: That's a strange name, but sure, it's cold outside, lets talk inside.

I'm talking about more than 'plain sight' searches.

Lawson

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Get to the point and we can help you better. Officers don't knock on people's doors randomly and ask to come in for coffee or blowjobs.

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    I'm not sure how to be more clear. I am trying to ask if agreeing to let an office into your house is - in itself - consenting to a search.

Maybe I shouldn't have included the example since it's a bit far fetched.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    No, inviting an officer incise does not mean you are agreeing to a search. But if he sees that bong sitting in the dining room table he can take action. Also, even if you consent to a search of your house/vehicle/property you can set the limitations of the search or end said search at any time you want.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I'm not sure how to be more clear. I am trying to ask if agreeing to let an office into your house is - in itself - consenting to a search.

Maybe I shouldn't have included the example since it's a bit far fetched.

No, that doesn't mean you agreed to have your house searched? What brought this up? Have you ever had something similar happen to you?

•MOTOR51•

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    No, inviting an officer incise does not mean you are agreeing to a search. But if he sees that bong sitting in the dining room table he can take action. Also, even if you consent to a search of your house/vehicle/property you can set the limitations of the search or end said search at any time you want.

Thank you Alpine, that's what I was asking. I didn't realize you could stop a search after you already consented to it.

Motor, Like I said in my first post, nothing like this has ever happened to me. A video I was watching made it seem that inviting an officer into your home is the same as consenting to a search.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Thank you Alpine, that's what I was asking. I didn't realize you could stop a search after you already consented to it.

Motor, Like I said in my first post, nothing like this has ever happened to me. A video I was watching made it seem that inviting an officer into your home is the same as consenting to a search.

Post the video for us to discuss

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Seriously, quit watching these silly videos. People who make videos like that are the Jessie Jackson's of the anti government crowd.

•MOTOR51•

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    Just step outside and talk to Officer Friendly there.

Last year I refused to even open the door when a deputy came to my front door. We could see each other through the glass. He was miffed that I would talk to him only through the door. Too bad. He was looking for someone I never heard of.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Here's how I see that playing out.

Officer: sir, would you mind if I stepped inside, I'd like to talk to you about something.
    Person: no. You can talk to me through this door.
    Officer: ok........ well your kid was just killed in a car crash. Have a good day.

::walks away::

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Alpine tackled it.

First off, "I don't consent to searches". Note the "."

That being said, if an officer is standing alone on your doorstep in 20 degree weather, there's no reason not to show him the courtesy of stepping in. If he asks to "step in", he needs to have a conversation with you. If he asks you to "step out", ...well, thats a different conversation.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Just step outside and talk to Officer Friendly there.

Last year I refused to even open the door when a deputy came to my front door. We could see each other through the glass. He was miffed that I would talk to him only through the door. Too bad. He was looking for someone I never heard of.

Thanks for working on building a better relationship between the public and law enforcement.

Here's how I see that playing out.

Officer: sir, would you mind if I stepped inside, I'd like to talk to you about something.
    Person: no. You can talk to me through this door.
    Officer: ok........ well your kid was just killed in a car crash. Have a good day.

::walks away::

Yeah, I can see that happening.

JR1572

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Alpine tackled it.

That being said, if an officer is standing alone on your doorstep in 20 degree weather, there's no reason not to show him the courtesy of stepping in. If he asks to "step in", he needs to have a conversation with you. If he asks you to "step out", ...well, thats a different conversation.

Bam. Logic.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Alpine tackled it.

Bam. Logic.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom