is 7.62x39 going anywhere??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Yes, it will probably all be banned when Obama signs the UN treaty later this month. That said, I have about 500 rounds of Brown Bear Polymer-coated that I will be happy to sell you...

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Seriously though, if you mean longevity then no, it is here to stay. Sig has introduced their 556R that uses the round and also takes AK mags. Beretta also has a sweet offering in that caliber that we hope to see in the US soon. There aren't very many 7.62x39 US ammo manufacturers, so if import restrictions were implemented, say maybe via executive order or UN Treaty, then it might dry up for a while as US manufacturers tool up to meet the new demand. There are just too many rifles out there right now that use that caliber. Me may loose access to the cheap stuff, but it will always be produced.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    There's millions upon millions of AKs in the US. Probably more than there are ARs. Not to mention all the SKS's and other x39 rifles.

Like Verm said, even if it could no longer be imported it would start being produced here in no time. There's a HUGE market for it.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Yes, it will probably all be banned when Obama signs the UN treaty later this month. That said, I have about 500 rounds of Brown Bear Polymer-coated that I will be happy to sell you...

He can sign whatever he wants. It's a "treaty" and as such, has to be ratified by congress. That ain't happening so close to mid term elections. They learned a lesson last time. No way they dig themselves another hole to die in.

762x39 ammo isn't going anywhere. Even the imported stuff will keep flowing.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I dont think that he will have enough support to ban ammo importation any time soon, and the Russians are making too much money from it to ban export also...

Bullwinkle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Considering the events of the last few years under the current admin I don't put anything past them and surprised at nothing.

Responses are correct in that MOST 762x39 is imported, from of all places RUSSIA. During the ammo crunch prices got ridiculous and supplies dried up, but the supply is there now and the price has been coming down.

Barring any ridiculousness from DC, 762x39 will be around for a while as it has gone, from what I remember, from just an AK47 round to an all out sporting round in the last few years.
    Many have adopted it for feral hogs as it performs well in bush and intermediate ranges, without the use of a full size rifle. For all intents and purposes, the AK47 has turned out to be rather good for hogs.

But, you must always prepare for what MIGHT happen. If you have a 762x39 weapon, stock up on the ammo. The inventory is there and the price is well, not as much as it was.
    One thing for sure, it won't get much cheaper and will only increase in price as the years go by. If you store it correctly, it will last a VERY long time.

On the other hand, if you like the performance of the 762x39 and are leery of its future, might I suggest 300 Blackout.
    Can use same light projectile as 308 and uses resized .223 Remington cases.
    Since it was introduced just a few years ago, it has caught on like wildfire in the AR community. It does however require the purchase of either an upper or an entire rifle depending on what you have. Right now it doesn't compare with the 762x39 in price or inventory, but its popularity is definitely on the rise.

And then if all else fails.................... get a 308.

Last edited:

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Top Bottom