Is Christmas in the Oaks safe?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    NOLA residents: My daughter wants to go to Christmas in the Oaks Wednesday night with trusted relatives that couldn't cut much less shoot their way out of a paper bag.

How safe is it over there?

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    It's safe. I went there several times with my wife, 3 year-old, and my wife's 85 year-old aunt. Hell, usually we walk the lights (sans taunt) rather than driving.

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    You guys are too paranoid, the park is not in the hood.

I went last week, they will be fine - and it's pretty too, great cheap date IMO. I live 10 blocks from the park.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    It's City Park. There was about 3 million people there when I went Friday night.

Unless she's hanging out in the northern part of the park, the drive through Metairie poses more of a risk for her.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I went with my girlfriend a few weeks ago. there is no concealed carry allowed, there is a sign posted..with no weapons allowed. There are many democrats though. Have fun! Oh and the butter rum sucks.

operator223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    A) I dont leave home without it. Really !
    B) If it's posted like that.... too bad.. I aint going.

I live in Kenner and we are getting more home invasions and lots more parking lot robberies, even in apartment complexes...... you take your chances !! I dont play that game.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    A) I dont leave home without it. Really !
    B) If it's posted like that.... too bad.. I aint going.

I live in Kenner and we are getting more home invasions and lots more parking lot robberies, even in apartment complexes...... you take your chances !! I dont play that game.

That's Kennah.

City Park is safe.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Tried to go t'giving weekend but couldn't park for blocks. Glad I didn't walk all that way to find I couldn't carry there...

Also, its like $8 a person now to walk through the rose garden. Doesn't seem worth it.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Yes,,,City Park is safe and Security is pretty good at Christmas in the Oaks. Also,,,,It does not draw the "youngsters" who seem to be out of touch with reality,,,,and they seem to be the ones pulling out Glocks whenever someone bumps into them.

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    You guys are too paranoid, the park is not in the hood.

I went last week, they will be fine - and it's pretty too, great cheap date IMO. I live 10 blocks from the park.

Agreed. City Park is my neighborhood too. You should be fine. There will be cops and cars everywhere. You can park in city park in well lit lots and relatively close to the entrance. I would recommend walking over driving too.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    To the people who said its not worth it.. the money generated at the park is used to pay people that maintain the grounds. I would rather pay when I go than be taxed to death for its operation.. its a great place that has good rides for children and parents.. by no means is it Disney World, but I guess there would be people who, if paid $8 for Disney would still complain...

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I went, it was swell. Hugely more packed than usual.

While city park is in a generally safe part of town, I would not feel safe there as there were very large crowds.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I went with my girlfriend a few weeks ago. there is no concealed carry allowed, there is a sign posted..with no weapons allowed. There are many democrats though. Have fun! Oh and the butter rum sucks.

I have never seen such a sign in the park, and there is no city ordinance against carrying there either. There is a "rule" on a sign at the new dog park, City Bark, against being armed inside that, but that "rule" is clearly in violation of the statewide pre-emption law.

Top Bottom