Is it just me? Or has there been more shootings than normal?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't know whether I'm watching the news more than I did when I was younger, or is it I surf Nola.com often. But there seems to be a lot more shootings than I remember us having. Think I read there was a shooting in the east yesterday along with one in gentilly. There was a shooting already this morning before 7am in the St. Claude area.

So is it the media making these occurrences known? Is it the summer heat making people irritable? Is it the same amount of shootings?

I know we are up in murders for the year, but there's a nopd supervisor that I spoke to the other day, and I asked if we are getting more violent, he responded saying that's the criminals are becoming better shots. He said the number of shootings are about the same from previous years but the people are actually dying, instead of just being injured.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I think there might be a few more but I think the biggest factor is the media must have "reporters" that search for shootings to report on.

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    I was thinking the same thing recently. Its sad to say, but hearing about a shooting everyday is "normal" to me now.
    Stay safe my brothers
    :(

STTAB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    United States
    I had a conversation with some retired federal agents a few years ago. They worked cases in the 50's-70's. All three said the same thing, crime has not changed. Bad guys still do bad things and not getting more violent. Social media and the 24hr news cycle make things seam a lot worse. One said the most heinous case he experienced in his career was in 1954. Something about a father snapping and torturing/slaughtering his family (details are foggy). They also said older investigative techniques lead to dead ends, which also killed the story (news cycle).

Past generations preferred to not sensationalize suffering. Nowadays suffering sells.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I was thinking the same thing recently. Its sad to say, but hearing about a shooting everyday is "normal" to me now.
    Stay safe my brothers
    :(

You aren't alone.

A friend of mine worked in the emergency room of a Baton Rouge hospital. One day I told her about a shooting in BR and her reply was, "What's new?"

The only time anyone hears about them, is through hearsay or the news.

Luckily, I've convinced more people in the last year, to get their CHP, than in the past 5 years.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Now when I hear a shooting in New Orleans east, Algiers, st Claude, Elysian Fields, gentilly, and st roch, I'm like "surprise surprise"

Since I live in Algiers I like to try to guess where the shooting is, Bc it's always one of 2-3 places. Garden oaks/westbend prkway, tullis, Opelousas

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Follow WAFB on facebook and you'll get at least one, sometimes two or three stories daily about shootings, most of them on or near Plank Road.

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    Check out the FBI Uniform Crime Report, it's really interesting.

Murder rates in the U.S. have been falling since the mid-nineties.

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    actually there are FAR fewer shootings in the city now then there were up until the early 2000's through the storm in 05 when the city was de-populated..

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    if anything its lower than it has been - but until now it hasnt fetched ratings. you dont even want to hear about opelousas or crowley this year. 'Gaw' is what comes to mind.

Top Bottom