Is it registered?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I believe Kraut to be in error on one count. While getting an OK from the FBI, the serial number is never given over the phone. The only way for batf&e to get that data is to call the selling dealer and ask or go by an physically review the dealer's bound book.

Correct.

Here's how it works after the sale ...........

The gun shows up in the system for some reason, theft, recovery, crime scene etc. Something has to happen so that they (they=some form of law enforcement)now have the ser#
    Once that happens the BATFE contacts the manuf./importer and they go from there. If everyone in the chain of custody has done their job they call me and ask about it. They can only id it by the date the item was shipped to me. This is called a trace and it is the only time the weapons info and buyers info ever leaves an FFL's possession (unless like Brian pointed out, you go out of buis.) they want me to fax them a copy of the 4473

Thats it

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Correct.

Here's how it works after the sale ...........

The gun shows up in the system for some reason, theft, recovery, crime scene etc. Something has to happen so that they (they=some form of law enforcement)now have the ser#
    Once that happens the BATFE contacts the manuf./importer and they go from there. If everyone in the chain of custody has done their job they call me and ask about it. They can only id it by the date the item was shipped to me. This is called a trace and it is the only time the weapons info and buyers info ever leaves an FFL's possession (unless like Brian pointed out, you go out of buis.) they want me to fax them a copy of the 4473

Thats it

But, but, but that's not how they did it on CSI :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I gave my sister a .38, I told her not to keep it in her glovebox. It got stolen out of her Glovebox. I reported it stolen. The NOPD called me 3 yrs later and asked if I wanted it back. I said yes. They said do you have the original receipt? I said yes. They said come get it. I went to get it at the courthouse on Tulane. They would not give it to me even with the receipt unless I registered it. I thought that was weird but did it in order to get my .38 back, that's all I got, on gun Registration.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I gave my sister a .38, I told her not to keep it in her glovebox. It got stolen out of her Glovebox. I reported it stolen. The NOPD called me 3 yrs later and asked if I wanted it back. I said yes. They said do you have the original receipt? I said yes. They said come get it. I went to get it at the courthouse on Tulane. They would not give it to me even with the receipt unless I registered it. I thought that was weird but did it in order to get my .38 back, that's all I got, on gun Registration.

Interesting. Can you tell us more about the process for registering it? Were there forms to fill out?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

NOPD is like a foreign country and they have their own rules that may differ from the State of Louisiana.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I'd like to hear what you had to do to "register" it too. Not doubting you at all, i'd just like to hear it.

Filled out a single sheet of paper with all the usual, name address phone,....make and model of gun along with serial number. I was at some kind of window almost like DMV they had the forms right there, filled it out,...they gave me my revolver. It was a Rossi M88 apparently it was evidence seems it was recovered less than a year after it was stolen, but I wasn't contacted till after the trial was completed. I don't know what it was used for, it had a few scuffs from being dropped or thrown,....

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    They told me, no receipt,....no gun. Original receipt, if you had the original one to the first owner(from FFL) and then one from him to you it may fly, don't know.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    So… "Why can/does LE run a guns #'s via NICS?"

...when in LA, the excuse can always be 'I sold that gun to Pierre last week'.

Anyone?
    IF they are investigating the murder of your mother-in-law and you say " Yea. I bought the murder weopon but I sold it to Pierre and don't know Pierre's last name" that wouldn't sound so good to them or a jury. If I ever sell a gun in an individual sale I'd have to have a receipt noterized (it only costs $5 in Miss.)That way if something goes down with that gun I could get LEO out of my living room ASAP.

tintmasters

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Thibodaux / Houma
    They told me, no receipt,....no gun. Original receipt, if you had the original one to the first owner(from FFL) and then one from him to you it may fly, don't know.

:dunno: So.... If someone reports their gun stolen and is the 4th or even the 10th owner he must have the "Original receipt" to recover it from the PD? Why even have a receipt if your the one that reported it? :doh:

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    :dunno: So.... If someone reports their gun stolen and is the 4th or even the 10th owner he must have the "Original receipt" to recover it from the PD? Why even have a receipt if your the one that reported it? :doh:

Just relaying what they told me, I didn't think I would be able to find the receipt, but I did, they told me it had to be the "original "receipt from a FFL.

Top Bottom