is it that crazy to have a .44 mag for sd in your truck?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    minutes ago on the news they said someone just died from getting shot by robbers at a gas station a few days ago(i think). they showed pictures of the two robbers(murderers). one of them looked so big that it seems if you shot him with a 9mm, .40, or .45acp, he would just laugh and snap your neck. when i saw his picture i thought of big foot, grizzly bear, ect. but when i show someone my .44 mag at my finger tips in my truck they can't help but laugh :confused:

if it wasn't so big and heavy i would ccw that gun.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If 9mm doesn't put a human down..... you didn't do your part. Caliber doesn't make up for poor shooting.

That guy may be big, but he's put together just like anyone else. .44 Mag is really a better HD gun for Big Animals who have bigger bones and whatnot.

I hope you don't leave that gun in your truck 24/7 just so it can get stolen from your driveway.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    If 9mm doesn't put a human down..... you didn't do your part. Caliber doesn't make up for poor shooting.

That guy may be big, but he's put together just like anyone else. .44 Mag is really a better HD gun for Big Animals who have bigger bones and whatnot.

I hope you don't leave that gun in your truck 24/7 just so it can get stolen from your driveway.

I tend to agree, in the word of a good friend of mine who has been there done that

"Why a 9mm? Because every single person that presented a threat to me and I have had the pleasure to put them down never complained about the "lack" of stopping power after being shot in the face"

If you do your part it will work, otherwise even a 12G slug will be a waste of time an effort

We dont generally have a lot of meat that needs to be penetrated before hitting vitals. Even "huge" corn fed people tend to have a small diameter chest area (1-2"depth) even if they wear a size 50" pants, compare that to a 200 pound deer who has at least 8" of tissue before you get into vitals, they are horizontal animals and we are vertical animals.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I tend to agree, in the word of a good friend of mine who has been there done that

"Why a 9mm? Because every single person that presented a threat to me and I have had the pleasure to put them down never complained about the "lack" of stopping power after being shot in the face"

If you do your part it will work, otherwise even a 12G slug will be a waste of time an effort

We dont generally have a lot of meat that needs to be penetrated before hitting vitals. Even "huge" corn fed people tend to have a small diameter chest area (1-2"depth) even if they wear a size 50" pants, compare that to a 200 pound deer who has at least 8" of tissue before you get into vitals, they are horizontal animals and we are vertical animals.

Very well put. The whole idea behind 9mm not being effective ,especially with today's hollow point ballistics is kind of silly.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I prefer 17+1 over 6. Even my Sub Compact 9mm holds 13+1. It is expensive to feed defense ammo these days though, I miss cheap Ranger ammo.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Ever shoot a 44mag from the cab of your truck? If you ever do you won't be able to hear the 911 operator after you shoot the perp.
    Anyway, nothing wrong at all with 9mm if you use it correctly....just like any other caliber, including 44mag.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    What you're really talking about when you consider the size of an attacker is a matter of penetration. You gotta punch through to the important stuff or you may as well be throwing rocks-- doubly so for someone pumped up on drugs, adrenaline, what have you. (Let's avoid the psychological stop factors-- they're way too unpredictable.)

Compared to me, a dude like you describe is thicker all the way around. Square us up to you and fire a 9mm into us COM, and you're going to get adequate penetration most of the time. Start working with crazy angles, limbs being in the way, intermediate barriers (even just a row of shelves in a gas station), etc... Things always have the possibility to go pear shaped. We are NOT ballistic gel blocks, no matter what snazzy tests would suggest that-- especially when things start changing trajectory and deforming as they kick off of random objects.

So you really have two approaches to those unpredictable issues, especially as it applies to meatier threats. You pack a lot of rounds into your firearm-- rounds that you can easily put on target at speed, as per the 9mm. Or you give up a bit of capacity for a heavier (not necessarily "bigger") projectile that isn't quite as upset by those stray factors.

Now, here's the kicker... When is that sacrifice moving in the wrong direction? The only correct answer is... Who the Hell knows???

Simply put, the vast majority of armed citizens and LEO are better off with the 9mm. Shot placement at speed even without stress makes this so; the guns are easier to shoot, accurately and quickly, and offer some "wiggle room" in capacity. Someone with more developed skill sets might very well find an advantage with a heavier pill-- but only within reason. IOW, coughing up 3-7 cartridges of capacity isn't such a bad thing... but not 10-12.

Now, when you throw in the growing likelihood of facing multiple threats during a violent encounter, that adds a whole new element to the equation. It's still up in the air without a definitive answer-- but it DEFINITELY seems to push a high caliber wheel gun closer to the line of unviability, no matter how good of a (combat) shooter you are.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    As a "truck gun" I don't see how you could get much better than a revolver. A gun can be neglected in a car/truck. The oil will evaporate much quicker due to the high heat during the day. A semi-auto will have a higher failure rate. A revolver will be more reliable, all things the same.

As far as capacity, it doesn't matter nearly as much in a truck as it does as a gun concealed on your person. You have a much greater ability to "get away" in a truck than you do hoofing it around, so capacity, I would think, wouldn't be as critical for a truck gun.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Ever shoot a 44mag from the cab of your truck? If you ever do you won't be able to hear the 911 operator after you shoot the perp.
    Anyway, nothing wrong at all with 9mm if you use it correctly....just like any other caliber, including 44mag.

I shot a 9mm and a .40 without HP when I was a teenager. I had ringing in my ears for nearly 2 weeks, and that was outside in a clear field. My dad used to shoot his .44 mag without HP all the time, but now knows that was not the smart thing to do. Point being, ANY pistol is going to be LOUD without HP, and I don't think there is enough difference between calibers. I think barrel length has a lot to do with it too.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    My go to gun at home is marlin 44magand it's back up is marlin 357mag. They stay loaded 24/7 so that's over 20 rounds of magnum. But not in the truck

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    As a "truck gun" I don't see how you could get much better than a revolver. A gun can be neglected in a car/truck. The oil will evaporate much quicker due to the high heat during the day. A semi-auto will have a higher failure rate. A revolver will be more reliable, all things the same.

As far as capacity, it doesn't matter nearly as much in a truck as it does as a gun concealed on your person. You have a much greater ability to "get away" in a truck than you do hoofing it around, so capacity, I would think, wouldn't be as critical for a truck gun.

Oil is for anti-corrosion; grease is for lubrication. My bottom feeder spent the better part of a month in a hot vehicle; I put 1k rounds through it in 4 hours without a hiccup.

As to getting away... Don't get stuck in traffic, blocked into a parking spot, or face more than one attacker before you can put it in gear I suppose... Truth be told, you'd probably be better off "getting away" rather than getting into a gunfight in the first place; I tend to think that breaking shots is a last resort, personally.

It seems like a lot of potential risk for absolutely no gain, to me. And if I'm going to have a "truck gun", it's going to be a rifle.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Oil is for anti-corrosion; grease is for lubrication. My bottom feeder spent the better part of a month in a hot vehicle; I put 1k rounds through it in 4 hours without a hiccup.

As to getting away... Don't get stuck in traffic, blocked into a parking spot, or face more than one attacker before you can put it in gear I suppose... Truth be told, you'd probably be better off "getting away" rather than getting into a gunfight in the first place; I tend to think that breaking shots is a last resort, personally.

It seems like a lot of potential risk for absolutely no gain, to me. And if I'm going to have a "truck gun", it's going to be a rifle.

With a rifle I would just raise the point of mobility. Unless it's an SBR, getting to it and bringing it to bare would seem.

I made the initial statement under the assumption that is only the OP's truck gun and he carries something else. I definitely prefer the options that a higher capacity gun gives you. Thanks to my stature I can get away with carrying a G17.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Oh, I should add:

When I was speaking above, an appropriate .44 Mag round will be fine. I tend to think of .44 Mag as the minimum for breaking bones of a big bear. I would have no problem with a .44 Mag downloaded to an anti-personel round or even using .44 Specials.

That being said, 9mm, .38 Special would be fine too if you use a good quality SD round and do your part.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    As for me, I'd take more rounds & easier controllability vs a big bore revolver for self defense- just my preference.

As for the shooting you are talking about, that's a terribly sad- and infuriating- event.

This man was not long out of the US Army, and was delivering gas to that Chevron station on Gov't Street (A/K/A "WORKING TO EARN A LIVING") when these worthless SOBs shot him multiple times over his wallet- which according to his sister didn't even contain any cash.

The punishment they truly deserve....I'm unwilling to put it into words.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom