Is Monarch 9mm any good for target shooting?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qwerty

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Metairie
    I usually use Winchester or Remington 100 round boxes for basic target use but these 2 have been harder to find lately. I'm looking for similar alternatives. Thank you very much

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    In the not so distant "good ol days" I used to turn my nose up at it, but I tell you what, I finally had to use it and I found it to be good quality ammo..

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    No problem in my S&W 9mm. I've run about 300 rounds through it and have not noticed any more funk compared to any other brand I've used. For the record, the 300 or so rounds I've shot were a mix of brass and steel cased Monarch. No problems with them firing and/or ejecting either. Wal-Mart in Covington has had a pretty steady supply of the WWB the last two or so months if you're willing to make the drive. I'd call them first though. They are usually $26.97/box.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Runs fine in my Glock 19. I actually like it very much. I shoot the brass cased version. Paid about 13 dollars at academy sports. I think the steel cased stuff was 11,bucks. (Per 50 RDS)

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    The 9mm works great in my Glock 17(steel case) and Walther P-1. The .45 is just as good as anything in my 4586TSW. The .380 works well in my PPK. Yes, Monarch is as good as any Winchester, Federal, or Remington target fodder. It might even be better.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    The simple answer is, if it run through your gun without issue, its good for traget shooting.

This^
    it runs fine through all my Glocks/shield, etc
    However, I stay away from their steel case "Lacquer" coated stuff. Just personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sigfan556

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    slidell,LA
    Ill probably get bashed for saying this but i don't care. I have seen it blow up 2 guns using 40 s&w. Also saw one box had 15 squib loads in 9mm. You can take that for whats its worth but I don't shoot it anymore. And before anyone ask the guns were an h&k and a fnh that blew up at the chamber.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    That's why I don't tactically Tap Rack and Bang.
    If there is a problem, figure it out before you continue. If I'm in a gunfight then Ill take my chances by trying to get my gun back going as fast as possible. If its not life or death I want to know exactly what is going on.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I haven't used it in years but when I did, they tended to have hard primers. About 1 round per box would have what I thought was a light strike in my xd. But when I put the same round in my Hk it would go off. Then I compared the brass one day. And the dimples left by the firing pin, was a lot more shallow on the monarch ammo than it was with any other ammo. But this was probably 5 years ago. So I don't know about today's ammo.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom