Is the Merit Optical Attachment legal in CMP Matches?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    Yesterday I shot in the Garand Match at Honey Island. The front sight was fuzzy (function of being 57 years old, plus it was dark and stormy). Could compensate during slow fire by squinting really hard, but during rapid fire I just couldn't get the squint done fast enough. Last time I shot for score 20 years ago my slow and rapid fire prone scores were consistently close--this time I sucked on rapid fire, scoring only 79...just couldn't really see the front sight!

I anticipated this, and used a weaker contact lens in my shooting eye, but front sight was still fuzzy (I'm near-sighted, with +5.25 diopters in shooting eye). :squint: Didn't help.

Did online search and read several articles about the "Merit Optical Attachment", which attaches to glasses with a suction cup. Has an adjustable aperture that increases depth of field, and according to the reviews works really well for us senior shooters. Does not magnify.

I've looked in the CMP rules, and did not find anything making it illegal, but I could have missed something...does anyone know whether this device would be legal in CMP competition?

Top Bottom