Is there a gunsmith in North Louisiana that works on Schofield replicas?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    I have a single action Uberti Schofield that has had binding problems after ever dozen shots or so, with the problem only going away everytime I take the cylinder out and wipe down topstrap and cylinder. I'm told by somet this is is "just the way the gun is made" (the factory repair says this) others say this was THE major problem with the original schofied design. Still most of the guys over on the CAS site tell me that it is a mechanical problem with the gun as theirs have never had any problems. People who work at teh gunshop I got the gun from tell me they've never had problems with schofield replicas (and not these are not just guys trying to sell products, they are shooters that work there more as a hobby or semi-retirement thing and they are shooters themselves)

Are their gunsmiths in north Louisiana that work on Single action Schofields

Athensgunsmith

Athensgunsmith
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    Athens, LA
    We work on all kinds of firearms. Sounds like the parts in question maybe a little out of spec on the high side causing problems when a little bit of grit builds up. We are in the little village of Athens about half way between Shreveport and Monroe. Check out our website for directions and contact info. www.athensgunsmith.com

VincentBuckles

Mesa Kinetic
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    check the barrel/cylinder gap with a feeler gauge. are you shooting black powder cartridge? if you are, the residue can quickly build up in the gap and cause cylinder drag.

i'm down in gonzales / baton rouge but feel free to give me a call about the issue. i've done a lot of single action work for cowboy shooters.

- Vince (412) 670-2620

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    I only shoot smokeless powder. Mainly just Winchester Cowboy Action loads that they sell at Acadamy.
    I put 6 rounds through the gun last night out back. It started binding after those 6 rounds. I took the cylinder off, cleaned it and the force cone with a paper towel. It now turns fine again.

Top Bottom