Is there a way to install a muzzle brake on an Un-threaded Barrel?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arkangel77

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Picayune - Mississippi
    I bought a 6.5 Grendel Overwatch Upper. It came in with an Un-threaded barrel. I did not even know they were avalible without threaded barrels when I ordered it. My question is - Is there a way to install a muzzle brake on a barrel thats not threaded?

Thanks, Arkangel77

5.45 Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Evansville, IN.
    The best way is to thread the end of the barrel & use a screw on muzzle brake. Are you sure someone didn't make a mistake all of the ones I have seen are threaded 3/4-28TPI. The type of muzzle brake is an option that costs more, but if you choose no muzzle brake you would think they would thread the barrel.

Last edited:

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    The comp should not unscrew if it was installed correctly. There are different ways the comp would be installed on the barrel like crush washers , flat washers etc. crush washers are common. They are cone shaped washers ,and when they are tightened they crush between the flat part of the barrel and the comp.The pressure from the crushing is what holds the comp on.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    .223/5.56 are usually 1/2" x 28TPI
    308 family is ususally 5/8" x 24TPI

I would not trust just any gunsmith to do it. I would make sure he is going to indicate the barrel from the bore as the bore is not always in perfect center of the barrel OD. Also he will need to cut the threads/shoulder (if bumping the comp against the shoulder of the cut he is going to make) of the barrel so that the comp indicates or clocks correctly so that it is not crooked.

Indicating off of the bore insures that he center of the bore and the center of the threads are concentric. If they just put a generic threading tool (like you would thread a peice of pipe) then the center of the bore and the center of the threads WILL NOT BE in perfect alignment. Depending on how far off the centers are and the opening of the comp itself, the bullet may or may not strike the comp. This is why I would MAKE SURE they will do the job in a lathe.

As far as temporary attachment if you want to be able to remove it the a crush washer will do. If you do not intented to take it off then I would put Rockset on it. Basicly like a locktight but better.

Last edited:

Arkangel77

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Picayune - Mississippi
    .223/5.56 are usually 1/2" x 28TPI
    308 family is ususally 5/8" x 24TPI

Its a 6.5 and I have no idea the OD of the barrel, I just never checked.

I asked the shop I ordered the upper from and they said that "Some come with threads and some dont". I did not know it was even an option to get one without threads when I ordered it! I guess I need to talk with one of the local smiths?

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    You are going to cut the threads for rifle the same as the threads of the comp you go with. So it is all going to depend on the comp you go with. Of course assuming that there is enough material on the barrel (OD being large enough to machine the necessary threads) to beable to do the job.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom