Is this a good deal on this AR-15?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBigShow

Buck Farack
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Looking to buy my 1st AR and don't know a lot but am trying to put in due diligence to make an informed purchase. Any opinions on this particular AR are appreciated. The use for it will be plinking, killing a few varmits (turtles, snakes, etc), the occasional Zombie, and for Tacticool wow factor :)

I know I could get a better deal by building my own but I have neither the time nor interest in doing so due to time devoted to work and helping out with with the kids to take some of the load off of my wife. For whatever AR I buy, I'd like to keep it at around $900 or less.

Thanks in advance......

http://www.jsesurplus.com/16completem4rifle-1-1.aspx

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    For what it's worth, I'm 'building' mine for under $900 but with a much nicer upper. I'm picking up a fully assembled Bravo Company upper and an assembled Spike Tactical lower so 'building' really isn't anymore than sticking the two halves together (no different than field stripping your pistol).

Just food for thought :)

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    I built my first ar-15, it was a RRA/Stag hybrid... it's a great experience if you want to do it.

that said, , I'd personally recommend Daniel Defense, BCM, Spikes, Colt, CMT, maybe the new S&W's, etc. You can get a complete Spikes for around 800, any of the others might cost a little more.

I'm not saying that others (Stag, RRA, DPMS, etc) don't necessarily make quality hardware, just the more I ended up learning about the AR-15 platform, the more I realized that some manufacturers cut corners here or there... (not properly staking things, batch testing instead of testing each bolt, etc) these might not make any difference to you... but it always bothered me.

I'd probably really stay away from any custom built type jobs for two reasons...

#1. warranty, if you buy the entire rifle from a manufacturer, and something doesn't work right, you can send the whole thing in and get it fixed. (If you notice in their ad, they are pretty specific about not calling Spikes...)

#2. I think re-sale might be a little easier if you have a full rifle... no facts to back this up, but I know i'd be hesitant to buy a built ar-15 vs a factory rifle.

Google the "M4 Comparison Chart" it does a pretty good job explaining some of the differences.

Aaron

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    DPMS makes fine guns for your price range and people I know that own them love em just fine. only thing I would sugest would be get one with the flat top and flat gas block with rail on top. That way you could always get flip up buis and use whatever optic you want without front sight clearence issues. Kinda silly to brand pick with ar's too much. I picked up a SW15 in academy the other day and had to explain to the guy behind the counter that it had a loose barrel meaning there was actually play between the upper reciever and the barrel itself. I'd sugest finding a friend to go with you that knows alittle about them. At least somone that has read a 10 level TM on PMCS checks. I know smaller shops around pinville selling the dpms out the door for 700. Big Als.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    i have that jse upper on my plum crazy budget rifle. my only complaint about the upper is the screws that hold the gas block are not set with loctite so the block ends up moving after 300 or so rounds.

Stake the screws in place.

ETA: pics: random pic off 'net.
    gas-key-stake.jpg

Last edited:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Thats a pic of gas key stake. He meant the gas block itself on the barrel which he would want to remove and apply lock tight.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    im thinkin of buying the delton rifle kit and putting it on a spikes lower.

the rifle kit is 465 and with the coupon code SGNEWS10 it comes to 415, spikes stripped lower is 100 bucks so for under 600 you can have a pretty damn good ar. only thing idk, is how this stacks up to CMMG bargain bin rifles

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    the coupon code came from this months shotgun news. it doesnt work on complete rifles, just on parts. it does work on the rifle kit though.

it takes 10 percent off the rifle kit.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Looking to buy my 1st AR and don't know a lot but am trying to put in due diligence to make an informed purchase. Any opinions on this particular AR are appreciated. The use for it will be plinking, killing a few varmits (turtles, snakes, etc), the occasional Zombie, and for Tacticool wow factor :)

I know I could get a better deal by building my own but I have neither the time nor interest in doing so due to time devoted to work and helping out with with the kids to take some of the load off of my wife. For whatever AR I buy, I'd like to keep it at around $900 or less.

Thanks in advance......

http://www.jsesurplus.com/16completem4rifle-1-1.aspx

I've got a brand new Rock River Entry Tactical that I'd sell for $900. I've just been too lazy to take a picture and list it. Brand new with a Rock River hard case.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Same situation was discussed in another thread, and IMO:

BCM Upper & BCG - $520
    Palmetto State Armory Lower & MOE Parts Kit - $200
    MOE Handguard - $30

Is the best value out there. $750 for a top shelf rifle. Just throw on a rear site and shoot the **** out of it. You can build one cheaper, but the dropoff in quality is HUGE compared to the relatively small decrease in price.

If you really don't want to tinker and prefer a complete (basic) rifle, the Spike's Tactical Midlength LE Carbine is hard to beat.

bestiller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    CDNN has Colt 6520's for $899 and 6920's for $1099....Sturmgewehr has 6520's for $849..Both great prices on Colts....I suspect prices will continue to drop too

Top Bottom