Is this enough?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Disregarding "concealed means concealed" and all that jazz.

By the letter of the law, is this enough to stop you from being able to carry in this establishment?

the total sign was probably 8x10 or 11x14. if i got far enough to take a pic of the whole sign you wouldn't be able to make out the text with the phone on my camera. That lettering was about 1/4" high or something along those lines. posted at the security office at the mall of LA.

i might or might not have been carrying one or two guns at the time.

security guard came out and said "hey duu, what's up wit dem pickchus" :chuckles:

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    As I understand it, signs have to be noticably posted at the entrances for them to be valid.

So, did you tell him what the pikchu was about? :-)

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I don't have an answer but it is interesting if the list is in order of importance they feel loitering and segways are bigger problems than illegal weapons.

You should have told the security there isn't a no pictures policy according to the sign.

Last edited:

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    No, the way I understand it (and I may be wrong so maybe someone more knowledgeable will respond) is that if you are discovered you can be asked to leave (just like any other place) and if you refuse, you can be arrested. Read the bottom of the sign. "-asked to leave. If they refuse to leave the - prosecuted for criminal trespass."

I would assume that the rest of it went something like "Any person violating the rules/regulations on this sign blah blah blah will be asked to leave. If they refuse to leave they can and will be arrested and prosecuted for criminal trespass.

I know the Oakwood mall in Terrytown has a sign that states "No Illegal Weapons" which means I am in the clear since my weapon isn't illegal. They may have you on the "No Firearms" part though.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I don't have an answer but it is interesting if the list is in order of importance they feel loitering and segways are bigger problems than illegal weapons.

You should have told the security there isn't a no pictures policy according to the sign.

I said "just taking a picture of the sign" and he said "oh, aite."

:mamoru:

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    What if I was holding the door open and yes that still happens and you walk through? You wouldn't notice the itty bitty lettering or the sign. Reverts back to being inviolation of their post and merely asked to leave.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    What if I was holding the door open and yes that still happens and you walk through? You wouldn't notice the itty bitty lettering or the sign. Reverts back to being inviolation of their post and merely asked to leave.

It's actually posted inside the rear main entrance (by the food court) on the first floor. If you walk in from outside, the security "center" is on the right. It's at the bottom left of the innermost window inside of the wall that the security is inside of.

derek_street

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have been in there several times and I always look for signs. I have never seen that at the Mall of La. Like the other guy said. Mine ain't illegal.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    use a different entrance lol

That's kind of my question. Does it have to be in plain sight?

Do they still have a leg to stand on if you go in through a different entrance?

My main question is; Does this sign constitute asking you to leave? IOW if you don't leave can you be arrested for remaining after forbidden after that point?

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    it appears the sign says "will be asked to leave" in the future tense. not that they must leave upon reading the sign.

I wouldn't arrest you because of a sign, only if security told you to roll out.

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    The sign is posted for liability issues. They feel that if someone is accidentally shot or shot on purpose the sign gives them some immunity. The truth of the matter is they could care less about what you have concealed. As far as open carry they do not want open carry for obvious reasons.

I had a security contract with a local mall for close to fifteen years and these issues were dicussed many times over the years. The mall owners owned malls all over the country and when policy is set in Houston or New York, then it is set at all of their locations.

Keep you pistol covered and go shop. If a security guard sees it and ask you to leave...say sorry as you exit the nearest exit.

If you have a problem dealing with stores that post these signs...go shop elsewhere.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    It's actually posted inside the rear main entrance (by the food court) on the first floor. If you walk in from outside, the security "center" is on the right. It's at the bottom left of the innermost window inside of the wall that the security is inside of.

What mall is this ??

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Disregarding "concealed means concealed" and all that jazz.

By the letter of the law, is this enough to stop you from being able to carry in this establishment?

the total sign was probably 8x10 or 11x14. if i got far enough to take a pic of the whole sign you wouldn't be able to make out the text with the phone on my camera. That lettering was about 1/4" high or something along those lines. posted at the security office at the mall of LA.

i might or might not have been carrying one or two guns at the time.

security guard came out and said "hey duu, what's up wit dem pickchus" :chuckles:

Unless it is stated in the handbook and/or LSP website under prohibited locations, carry. Those are the mall's rules, nothing more.

If you look at the bottom of the sign in your pic, basically what it says the penalty for violating the sign (like if you print or your shirt rides up and somebody spots your gun) is "You will be asked to leave". If you refuse, then it can turn into a criminal trespass charge.

Last edited:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    That's kind of my question. Does it have to be in plain sight?

Do they still have a leg to stand on if you go in through a different entrance?

My main question is; Does this sign constitute asking you to leave? IOW if you don't leave can you be arrested for remaining after forbidden after that point?
    In Texas, the signs have to be a certain sized, have specific wording, and must be visible as you approach the entrance.
    Disobeying those signs will result in your permit being revoked.

But of course, that's in Texas.

:)

Top Bottom