Is This Legal?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DomTak96

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    New Orleans
    Long story:

My son is 16 years of age. We currently reside on the former Algiers Navy Base. It is now known as Federal City. Having gotten his license last month, I've been letting him make short trips to the store, to a friends house, or like today, fishing. There is a pier about a mile away from our house which leads out onto the Mississippi. So he packs his fishing gear up and heads up there. Ever since the Navy left, a new company (HRI) has now owned the majority of Federal City (to my knowledge). There is a rather small, gated and guarded military area about a quarter of a mile away from where my son parked the car to go fishing. HRI, owning all the property that was previously owned by the Navy on the old Algiers navy base, placed heavy-duty key & combo locks on the their fences. There are two gates in the fence-line which are basically right alongside the levy (maybe a foot away, if that). The gates aren't locked in the most secure fashion, and the excess chain allows for kids/smaller adults to squeeze through. I told my son, hell, if you can fit, go ahead; reason being because a mile down the levy, the gate is WIDE OPEN with no sign restricting access. He hears someone from far away yell to him "You're not allowed up there!!" after he's already squeezed through the gate and is walking along the levy the short distance to the pier. I'm pretty sure they saw him squeeze through the gate. I'm also presuming they were military personnel with some MP (Military Police) buddies.

After fishing for 15-20 minutes, he sees people at the gate. He couldn't tell they were MPs at first because they were about 100-125 yards away. Then he hears them screaming "HEY!!!". He calls me up and asks if I can come up to the pier real quick while he's walking back towards the fence. There were two African-American officers. One dressed in his Marine Corps uniform, the other dressed in his MP uniform. They were on the other side of the fence. The officer walks up close to the fence and asks him to walk to the gate. My son complies. The officer then proceeds to tell him to come to come through the gate. Now, my son is very intelligent. He is an Honors student at a pretty good school (Ben Franklin). He asks if he's done something wrong in a very tranquil voice. The officer repeats himself and says "Come through the fence, please." My son then repeats himself too. After being rather forcefully prompted, he complies. He told me that as soon as he got on the other side, the officer in the MP uniform put him in a kind of "wrist-lock" hold behind his back even though he was being fully compliant! He told me that he showed no signs of aggression or loss of composure.

Finally I get there and I see my son, hands on the back of the car, with the two officers surrounding him. I immediately jump out of the car and ask what the hell they're doing (along with a few other select words thrown in there). The one, more veteran officer dressed up in his pretty MP uniform of course tells me to calm down after he pulls out his pepper spray (which wouldn't of done much good to an infuriated, 210 pound Marine), but I do eventually calm down. We have a small heated exchange of words. He believed he had the authority to come off of the military base. In all my years of service, I have never heard of any MPs having jurisdiction over any other property besides federal government property. I still don't believe he could call my son off of property not located in his jurisdiction. Anyway, long story made a little shorter, he calls his higher-up and I talk to him. He was much more relaxed and understanding about the situation. He even tells me that my son was allowed to slip through the gates, the only reason they checked him out was because they got "suspicious activity" report.

After all the talk, they take my son's information and let him go. He went right back through that gate and went fishing lol. Caught a 58lb catfish too!

Just to clear one thing up:
    1. The fence-line is still on HRI property I believe. The levee is literally a foot away though.

What do you guys think about this?

Last edited:

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    You tell him it is OK to go through a locked gate and then bitch about the outcome ? Then you jump out of the car with a few other select words thrown in from an infuriated 210 lb
    Marine ? I think you are lucky that both of you did not end up in jail.

DomTak96

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    New Orleans
    You tell him it is OK to go through a locked gate and then bitch about the outcome ? Then you jump out of the car with a few other select words thrown in from an infuriated 210 lb
    Marine ? I think you are lucky that both of you did not end up in jail.
    Does that sound like bitching to you? I was asking for your guys' opinions, thinking maybe I could gain some insight of something I was unaware of. And to add on to it, the funny part is HRI handpicks a few of their buddies and decides to give them the combos to the locks. We see people go through the gate with their fishing poles (and not to mention alcohol) all the time. That's not unjust? FURTHERMORE, going through the gate wasn't even illegal. He said that was perfectly fine! So the only thing that they had to go on was a "suspicious activity" call, which probably came from one of their buddies who saw him go through. They can keep their asses on their little 300x300yd area next time. If that's the most significant offense they have to worry about, we got problems.

Last edited:

SamNavy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Belle Chasse, LA
    When dealing with MP's, you're not dealing with police officers. You're dealing with people who must assume that anything out of the ordinary is an attempt by our enemies to collect intelligence so they can determine a better way to bomb us. Yes, occasionally they write speeding tickets on base or have to pick up some dunk kid who had too much at the all-hands club, but it's NOT a fine line between a beat cop in a black&white out writing tickets and standing by for some ******* to beat up his wife, and a person responsible and held accountable for defending a federal installation. You're making a big deal about "jurisdiction", but missing the point entirely.

If you'd read a report of a muslim kid who's dad was base interpreter who was out fishing, and the kids dad had shown up wearing a turban and started yelling at the MP's... and that dad had been shot to death, you'd probably be the first guy to give a fist-bump about a job well done because "that guy should have known not to argue with the police."

But instead your kid going fishing in a questionable location, where they've never seen a kid fishing before, who they don't know, and who they saw "slip through a fence" to get there, is exactly the kind of thing our enemies will try and do in order to probe our defenses, and for some reason you're mad. I'll just assume you're not muslim.

Oh yeah, you're comments about "pretty MP uniform" did not go unnoticed by me. Next time, how about "the man wearing a uniform signifying he's taken an oath to defend the country, and to die if necessary performing his duty."

DomTak96

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    New Orleans
    When dealing with MP's, you're not dealing with police officers. You're dealing with people who must assume that anything out of the ordinary is an attempt by our enemies to collect intelligence so they can determine a better way to bomb us. Yes, occasionally they write speeding tickets on base or have to pick up some dunk kid who had too much at the all-hands club, but it's NOT a fine line between a beat cop in a black&white out writing tickets and standing by for some ******* to beat up his wife, and a person responsible and held accountable for defending a federal installation. You're making a big deal about "jurisdiction", but missing the point entirely.

If you'd read a report of a muslim kid who's dad was base interpreter who was out fishing, and the kids dad had shown up wearing a turban and started yelling at the MP's... and that dad had been shot to death, you'd probably be the first guy to give a fist-bump about a job well done because "that guy should have known not to argue with the police."

But instead your kid going fishing in a questionable location, where they've never seen a kid fishing before, who they don't know, and who they saw "slip through a fence" to get there, is exactly the kind of thing our enemies will try and do in order to probe our defenses, and for some reason you're mad. I'll just assume you're not muslim.

Oh yeah, you're comments about "pretty MP uniform" did not go unnoticed by me. Next time, how about "the man wearing a uniform signifying he's taken an oath to defend the country, and to die if necessary performing his duty."

With all due respect, anything off base is not their concern. My kid fishing an area that's not even on a military base shouldn't be of their concern. That's what bothers me.

1. If you call a pier a questionable location, then should all of the bikers, runners, and other fishermen that use the levy also have the MP's called on them?
    2. There's plenty of kids and young military personnel that go fishing up there all the time.
    3. I guess you missed the part where I said the higher-up told my kid he could go through there and that it was not a problem.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Sounds to me like you have your mind made up and are looking for people to agree with you. If I had a problem, I would be sitting in the bosses office when he showed up for work Monday morning.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I dunno, I was always taught that if a gate/door was locked, it was for a reason and I had better not cross it. Is there another way to get to the pier? Would have eliminated all of this by your son not having to squeeze through a LOCKED gate.
    And just a FYI, it's levee not levy. ;)

DomTak96

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    New Orleans
    I dunno, I was always taught that if a gate/door was locked, it was for a reason and I had better not cross it. Is there another way to get to the pier? Would have eliminated all of this by your son not having to squeeze through a LOCKED gate.
    And just a FYI, it's levee not levy. ;)
    Lol damnit, I always mess that up!
    And yea, I see that now. To prevent any future issues like this, I told my son from now on he should take the way where the levee is unlocked which is about a mile long walk. Sucks to do that but I guess it's for the better.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I just realized something . People who START a thread are more likely to be attacked than someone that just posts in an existing one . I have purposely avoided starting a thread about something because I knew it would just bring on a **** storm .

In a way , I can understand the OP's anger . It is his son he was talking about . Sometimes emotions get in the way of good sense .

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I was a 5811 in the Corps, and congrats, you ran into the ones that pull that crap on everyone, even their own. They are the ones that lack the reasoning skills required to advance in life, and usually get locked into tunnel vision when approached with a task. They do not understand that EVERY situation is different, so they will handle a 9yr old lost in the PX the same way they handle a dependent high on meth trying to kill them. Theyusually also think their jurisdiction is everywhere, since they are "Federal."

Every police department has "that guy" or several of them, that push the boundries, or "love to use their pepper spray." They typically are the ones that end up making the rest look bad. I think the military has more, since they are usually so much younger and less "life experienced."

If he was in charge of the area, then he would have known the other gate was not secured, and should have made it so if it was off limits. It's also fairly obvious when kids are just going fishing, even though 16yr olds now a days don't look like kids.

Top Bottom