Is This True

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • causey02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2006
    Silencers" or "Suppressors"
    are not illegal in many U.S states. In the 1930s
    silencers, as well as fully automatic weapons,
    came under the control of the BATF via a $200.00 "tax

stamp" to curb the use of these weapons and
    devices in criminal activity.

If your state allows
    possession of class 3 weapons you then apply for
    the "tax stamp" through your local BATF

office for each fully automatic weapon and each
    silencer and if you are approved then you can
    legally own the item(s).

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Yep, if you want a suppressor first make sure the local chief will sign off on it.

Then you pay for the suppressor, file the form with the aft & send in your $200, wait for your tax stamp comes in then pick up your suppressor.

Zack3g

Full Auto is fun!
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2007
    Lafayette
    The law you reference was the 1934 National Firearms Act.. it wasn't so much to control criminals as it was to give the prohibition cops something else to chase after. At the time, a $200 tax was more than many people earned in a year. It was absolutely ridiculous to spend a $200 tax on a $15 gun. The major players were the corporations and the unions. You should see the collection of thompsons that Ford motor co. has.

As far as legality in louisiana is concerned, they, along with all the rest of the NFA goodies are perfectly legal. The problem is louisiana also has state paperwork in addition to the federal stuff.

Stop by the Class III section of the board, i'll be happy to answer any more of your questions.

13d2b9cd.jpg

80c78b84.jpg

8fde6507.jpg

jeremyws1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Ruston, LA
    It was absolutely ridiculous to spend a $200 tax on a $15 gun.

Ironically, the $200 tax is a joke compared to the modern $20,000 fully auto firearms. I'll gladly pull the trigger faster and use subsonic ammo...oh and BUY A NEW CAR!

Last edited:

Zack3g

Full Auto is fun!
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2007
    Lafayette
    Ironically, the $200 tax is a joke compared to the modern $20,000 fully auto firearms. I'll gladly pull the trigger faster and use subsonic ammo...oh and BUY A NEW CAR!

eh..the mac was 2700, m16 13k, + the mods i've done to both of them I'm at around 22-23k total not counting ammo :-P

It is expensive, but in my opinion totally worth it. Once you've got the bug you'll understand. It's just like BRD, only much, much worse.

XyX

Cars and Guns? Why not!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    eh..the mac was 2700, m16 13k, + the mods i've done to both of them I'm at around 22-23k total not counting ammo :-P

It is expensive, but in my opinion totally worth it. Once you've got the bug you'll understand. It's just like BRD, only much, much worse.

13,000?

jeremyws1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Ruston, LA
    Depending on which part he meant to quote, my comment either came off offensive or defensive. Either way, it is my honest opinion. I usually find myself taking up for people. I guess I wrongly assumed everyone knew about the BS/SNI combo.

Last edited:

Zack3g

Full Auto is fun!
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2007
    Lafayette
    You do realize $13k is a ridiculous price for a gun no matter what website you are visiting, right?

i agree that it's ridiculous. but if you want to play you've got to pay. Thank the democrats for making them so expensive. 20 years ago, you could buy a M16 for the same price as a regular AR, + the $200 transfer tax.

jeremyws1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Ruston, LA
    Well put! Raw material and labor cost compared to supply and demand cost is what is ridiculous, not the person willing to play the game. I'm a firm believer in doing what makes you happy.

XyX

Cars and Guns? Why not!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    sorry for all the confusion..i know this is a gun website..i was just saying 13,000 is a lot for a gun, and i hope i don't get into a gun buying habit b/c i'll be even more broke :)

Top Bottom