Israeli Sniper Infor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Later

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Good Day,

Here is an information briefing I wrote couple years back that some of you may find use for and/or add onto it from your experiences.

Thanks

Israeli History in regards to Sniping and Marksmanship

Like some of you I have always been intrigued by Israel in regards to its military might in relation to its country size. Also intrigued in its level of training that has been honed to damn near perfection from experience, but what some people may not know is that Israeli sniper program has suffered the same misuse of manpower, same lack of understanding and training as the USA suffered years back that some will arguably say the USA still suffers from same problems.

I have made lifelong friends with members of the IDF and various security companies in Israel in my ventures. I have called upon some of them friends and experience to provide me with the information below.

Since the beginning of the Israel state the IDF has had only a small area to protect in which it is surrounded by enemies of far bigger size. Just the sheer size differences caused the IDF to adopt tactics that are very high speed and designed to bring war into the enemy areas. It is that mindset that hinders the IDF sniping/marksmanship program since its development. This “train of thought” has reflected the role of the Israeli sniper for many years and even to an extent today, the sniper was considered a luxury and was treated with bad manpower, bad training and bad attitude from Command. Today the program is constantly changing but will take few more years until the Israelis themselves are comfortable with the sniper level.

In 1997 the IDF began making some long overdue changes to its Sniper/Marksman programs. In that change is when they switched from the M14 to M24 bolt action system and by doing that the Israelis felt a void in their sniper program (The ability to lay down fast, semi accurate cover fire from the 5 round internal magazine on the M24). So they began to expand their mindset and formed the” KALA SAHAR”. A separate Designated Marksman Program. This was a great step for Israel in terms of mindset and utilization of manpower and equipment.

Recently the IDF Sniper and Sharpshooting School has been integrated with the Counter Terror School. In which Sniping and sharpshooting are taught by the IDF Sniping, Sharpshooting and CT School.

The schools break down as follows:
    1. The Snipers school teaches long range open field infantry sniping using the M24 SWS.
    2. The CT teaches with a focus on short range surgical sniping using the SR25 SWS.
    3. The sharpshooting school teaches 4 weeks of long sharpshooting instructors’ course. Most that attend this are future instructors in the school. Some return to their home units and are in charge of instructing and qualifications of Designated Marksman.
    4. There is also a Barrett M82A1 course held at the IDF infantry school, which is NOT part of the special training school. This course is 4 weeks long and individuals are qualified to operate the M82A1 along and are NOT considered snipers, but as Hard Target Sharpshooters.

Courses are broken down as follows:
    1. (5) week sniping course for infantry unit personnel.
    2. (3) week sniping course for SF unit personnel.
    3. (2) week sniping instructors’ course.
    4. “Training” series for qualified snipers which is usually a few days long.
    Other than the length of course the infantry and SF course is the same. The SF is shorter as most will proceed to the Counter Terror Schools CT sniping course which is an additional 3 week course specific to short range surgical precision Counter Terror missions.

Future Changes
    The second Lebanon War in 2006 re-demonstrated the lacking deployment of IDF snipers. As a result the IDF has recently announced several intended changes to schools and snipers which will take place of next few years. Changes are to include:

1. New course for team leaders, which will teach them how to best deploy snipers.
    2. Increased focus on sniper and spotter mutual work.
    3. New selection test for snipers.
    4. Increased field deployment of sniper instructors with specific attention to conflict areas.
    5. Review and possible acquirement of a standard issue large caliber rifle system that will allow snipers to interdict targets at longer ranges.
    6. While maintaining and increasing training to IDF snipers, the school will further integrate with civilian units.

Weapon Systems:
    Barrett M82A1 Hard Target Interdiction Rifle (Semi Auto)
    Ruger 10/22 suppressed rifle (Semi Auto)
    KAC SR25 (Semi Auto)
    Remington M24 (Bolt Action)
    Mauser 86SR (Bolt Action)
    Modified M700 (Bolt Action)
    Enfield No.4 Mk1 (Disbanded)
    Mauser K98 (Disbanded)
    Sardius M26 (Disbanded)
    SA M14 (Disbanded)
    Mauser 66SP (Disbanded)
    IWI Galil (Disbanded)
    TCI M89 (Disbanded)

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Intriguing to see the lowly 10/22 included in such robust company. However, I have seen a few items mentioning their utilization of suppressed .22's.

Thank you.

Later

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Yes they actually have an intergral suppressed model that their counter terrorist teams love and model alot of their tactical applications as a Team in general around that weapons ability.

Thanks

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    So the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) searched for a 0.22 caliber accurate rifle that will be used to take out the key protest leaders by shooting them in the legs.

The Ruger 10/22, fitted with a X4 day optic, a full length suppressor and a Harris bipod was selected for this role and was due to be issued to all infantry oriented units, including both special and conventional forces.

OUCH!!! :mamoru:

Israeli_sniper_rifles_250.jpg

SwampKat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Laplace, LA
    Probably just a foreign made subsonic round. Nothing special and no need to be.

Would figure that much, but would be interested to know their testing procedure to why that type of 22lr round was chosen. Also if there is data on lubed (Wolf match) vs non lubed ammo (CCI std vel), and the failure/failure to feed.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    A friend of mine has a 10/22 similar to what is described here. It did indeed handle Remington Subsonics quite nicely.

It ALMOST made me take the plunge, myself. It shocked me as to how quiet it actually was.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    You know you're badazz when your idea of "less lethal" is a 10/22.

Indeed, suppressed .22 rimfires are quiet. You should (not) hear it in a bolt gun. "Was that a squib?" I don't know!

It's been a few years since I shot that one- but man I swear- most of the noise that 10/22 made was the sound of the metal action working. I was more than impressed....

SwampKat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Laplace, LA
    Never heard that before, CCI standard velocity and CCI green tag is what has been recommended to me my suppressor manufacturers when I was researching integral rimfires.

But it's my understanding that ported integral suppressors slow down supersonic ammo down to subsonic speeds, thus preferring supersonic ammo w/ the added benefit of copper projectiles that won't lead up the suppressor like most subsonic ammo.

Top Bottom