It IS A Desease - Continual Upgrade XL7

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    Well, I do love how my 06 (Marlin XL7) has finally come in to its own with my load work. Had one real awesome group, you know, that group every now and then that you never duplicate again, but it is a for sure "WOW!" group, but you keep getting close to it because of the good load you found that the rifle likes. Yet, it is not enough! Got to do more! Time to tinker again! UPGRADE TIME!

I will be putting a new scope FX II 36mm LR Duplex on it and changing to Warne rings the DNZ are just to ugly, I can't do it.

Also, after knowing of a person who reduced his average group size with his different loads with his Marlin XL7 by putting a new laminated wood stock on his Marlin XL7, I will do the same. So, this coming week I have a new wood (laminated) stock Prairie Hunter coming from Boyd's (finished - drop in) like my acquaintance did with his 30-06 XL7 and it fit perfect and it allows the barrel to free float.

Leupold FX II 6x36mm LR Duplex
    file_zpseb6c93b9.jpg

Warne Rings
    918191_zps2ebb2bf2.jpg

Boyd's Prairie Hunter (finished drop in - color Nutmeg)
    18-111_zps1990b333.jpg

Last edited:

300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    I have already given some thought to the 1/2 pound weight of the Warne bases and mounts and decide to go with these weavers for low mounting and light weight and put the Leupold on. These are the same kind of mounts and rings I had on this rifle with the Redfield and had no problems with recoil or movement of the scope so I will go with them. Only thing left is to wait for the stock to come in.

19dad10f7e_zps4529ed3e.jpg

As stated in my article when doing a comparison with entry level rifles, I indicated that you do not need to customize the rifle because it is cheaper in most cases to just go purchase another one. Well, I got bored and since I am in between some projects, I decided to mess around with this Marlin. Of course this Marlin XL7 really shoots good and this messing around might cause it to shoot worse and if it does I can return it to its original state since I am not adding anything that is permanent. :) Just having some fun playing. :)

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    I have already given some thought to the 1/2 pound weight of the Warne bases and mounts and decide to go with these weavers for low mounting and light weight and put the Leupold on. These are the same kind of mounts and rings I had on this rifle with the Redfield and had no problems with recoil or movement of the scope so I will go with them. Only thing left is to wait for the stock to come in.

19dad10f7e_zps4529ed3e.jpg

As stated in my article when doing a comparison with entry level rifles, I indicated that you do not need to customize the rifle because it is cheaper in most cases to just go purchase another one. Well, I got bored and since I am in between some projects, I decided to mess around with this Marlin. Of course this Marlin XL7 really shoots good and this messing around might cause it to shoot worse and if it does I can return it to its original state since I am not adding anything that is permanent. :) Just having some fun playing. :)

On the bases, will the savage pattern bases mate up or does the marlin have a custom bolt pattern? I was going to go with EGW mount but I don't think they make one for the xl7

300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    Yes, the barrel free floats. I am very proud of how this turned out. This does not look like or feel like a 349.00 rifle (now 446.00 rifle) and even feels and look like a 600.00 rifle. I had better light and was able to take more representative pictures that are very close to what the rifle actually looks like in person. I hope you enjoy these shots of my Marlin XL7 in a Boyds laminated stock with a Leupold FX II 6x36mm LR Duplex. Yes, I am happy with this.

file_zpse04ea14b.jpg

file_zps6b3c8285.jpg

file_zps67bd6c2f.jpg

file_zps2a6dd9eb.jpg

file_zps4bc9909d.jpg

file_zps62d1f229.jpg

file_zps6f403823.jpg

file_zps9e359ee6.jpg

file_zps0f1e301c.jpg

file_zps4bb937d6.jpg

file_zps6dcd3ab7.jpg

file_zpse0211e73.jpg

del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    I did almost the same thing with an old walmart m70.
    I used the same boyds stock but with the stippling and my initials. I also replaced the Chinese Simmons scope with a new redfield revolution.
    Best upgrading I've ever done !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom