It's about time somebody stopped being P.C.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35, Orlando) -- Osceola county school board member Jay Wheeler isn't making any apology for his email
    I told the truth! Wheeler said. We asked, “Did you at all think that might be insulting to some? Wheeler replied, "I thought it might be a wake up call and I think it's something people want to say but were afraid too.'

A little more than a week ago, the Osceola County School District decided to implement school uniforms. Since then, he says parents have complained saying they can’t afford the new clothing. He disagreed with parents and fired off an email to them saying:

"Everyone can afford Wal-Mart and if they cant they need to think about turning of their cable TV or stop buying alcohol or cigarettes and spend their money on their children."

Oh my god! That was the response of Maria Quintana we she saw this letter. She was speechless. At first and then she finally found the words, "it is insulting. I have to go to school, I have a job and sometimes it's really hard you have to struggle and to have them say something like that is really degrading."

But Wheeler doesn't care; he says its time for parents to focus on their kids. Saying it's time to stop being politically correct and start being serious about education.

Finally adding, "I just told the truth and parents need to take responsibility and put their children first!"

Cliff notes: School gives out dress code, parents complain saying they have to afford clothing, school board replies stop buying cigarettes and alcohol, and put your children first.

could be last week news, but i didn't see it posted
    rest of article:
    http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=3.2.1

I was never given the gift of caring what others thought. ;)

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    I like the non-PC'ness of the gentleman; however, he's an idiot. He's pushing uniforms. Uniforms don't make you smarter. What he's doing is pushing an even bigger PC agenda by making all the school kids wear uniforms so no one will get picked on because they can't afford the cool clothes or that the non-uniforms are distracting to students. That is the bigger PC fight. Buying a uniform is not making parents be more serious about their kids educations. If this would be about books or other educational products then it would have been spot on. For now, he is being ultra non-PC to push an uber-PC issue.

Y.T.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Central
    Uniforms are indoctrinating the "Sheeple" affect into kids at an early age.

I like the fellas "get r done" attitude though.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    If anything uniforms should save parents money since they don't have to buy clothes for 5 days of the week. Two shirts and some shorts or a skirt or whatever is all you really need, and I don't ever recall it being expensive.

I don't understand what people have against uniforms. Take a look at greater New Orleans. The good schools have uniforms. The ones without uniforms are hardly worth calling "schools." Having uniforms doesn't necessarily make schools better, but there's a pretty damn big correlation here.

All the students who thought uniforms took away their self expression were always the bottom of the barrel type kids. I for one am glad I wasn't subjected to their "self expression."

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    If anything uniforms should save parents money since they don't have to buy clothes for 5 days of the week. Two shirts and some shorts or a skirt or whatever is all you really need, and I don't ever recall it being expensive.

I don't understand what people have against uniforms. Take a look at greater New Orleans. The good schools have uniforms. The ones without uniforms are hardly worth calling "schools." Having uniforms doesn't necessarily make schools better, but there's a pretty damn big correlation here.

All the students who thought uniforms took away their self expression were always the bottom of the barrel type kids. I for one am glad I wasn't subjected to their "self expression."

+1

ReilleysMom32

Drunkie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    NOLA
    I never had uniforms in my public high school growing up. And we never had any problems with gang-related activity and money was appropriated to the right clubs and individuals. The administrations never got more than what they deserved.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm glad my kid wears uniforms. I didn't have too and was glad I didn't. When he gets to Highschool he wont have too unless they change the policy which I don't care one way or the other.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    I don't understand what people have against uniforms. Take a look at greater New Orleans. The good schools have uniforms. The ones without uniforms are hardly worth calling "schools." ."

95% of public school in New Orleans require uniforms. The good and the bad all do. Uniforms don't equate better schooling. My daughter wears a uniform to school but the reason why her school is good is because of the teachers.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Uniforms eliminate the morning fights over what to wear, so its better for the parents. Uniforms make it easier on the admin to tell who belongs on campus and who doesn't.

You make a good point though about teaching the kids to fall in line with the rest of the sheeple. My daughter goes to a school w/ uniforms. What I see is that the girls make an effort to differentiate themselves. Different hair accessories, jewelry, nails, etc. The guys just don't give a damn, lets go play football... at least at the younger ages.
    I do wonder about the older kids though. I see high school boys that spend more time on their appearance every day than I did in a week! Maybe that's why the metrosexual movement got started?

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    I was in a high school that made the transition to mandetory uniforms when I went from 10th to 11th grade.

Nothing changed.
    The straight-A students were still the straight A students, thugs were still thugs, the druggies were still the druggies, the gays were still gay, the preppy kids that felt the rules didn't apply to them b/c their parents were rich and held a public office were still... I think you get the point.

:)

Top Bottom