IT'S ALIVE! Well... Sort Of.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I still have some work to do before it's running right as I have a float issue or something similar (gas ran out of the carb when the petcock was on without the motor running). Then I need to rejet these carbs to get the right fuel air mixture right and finally I'll need to synch them up. Before I can take it for a test ride I need to install the new throttle cable and the new clutch cable (here's to hoping there's nothing wrong with the transmission). Also, The choke lever needs a polymer bushing and the ball and springs for the detents. The rest is just a matter of spit and polish and bolting the parts back on.

For those who haven't been following the saga of the restoration of my Dad's vintage Yamaha that I have taken to calling "Soul Restoration" the links below will catch you up if you're interested.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?122677-Much-Needed-Motorcycle-Therapy&highlight=

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?126385-Easy-Rider-Not-so-much

Last edited:

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Sounding pretty good! I can't wait until I can get a bike. My dad was going to give me his older CB750 a while back but when he took it out of the shed after years of neglect and some water damage it ended up being WAY to much work/time/money to put into it. Keep on truckin' though man!

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Sounding pretty good! I can't wait until I can get a bike. My dad was going to give me his older CB750 a while back but when he took it out of the shed after years of neglect and some water damage it ended up being WAY to much work/time/money to put into it. Keep on truckin' though man!

How much you wanna spend? Several nice bikes like that on Craigslist right now. From an sv750 to a gs500f ninja 500r etc

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    At the time we were looking to spend around 1k on fixing it up because he's a mechanic and could do the majority of the work himself with me helping. This was about 2 years ago though and now that I'm deep into school I don't have time for anything except books and bayoushooter occasionally. I do pass by a motorcycle shop here in downtown nola every so often...I'd love a Triumph Speed Triple one of these days!

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Thanks y'all. I edited the OP a bit now that I'm back home and on a PC. I was on my phone and couldn't get the post the way I wanted it then.

I'll say this about vintage motorcycles... the time and money it takes to bring them back to life is not insignificant. I have well over $3,000 invested into this one and I didn't have to pay anything for the bike.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    There is a concern that with the float not shutting down the flow of fuel and that fuel coming out of the air filter that there's a possibility of a gasoil condition. For those who do not know, gasoil occurs when gas gets past the piston and mixes with the engine oil in the crankcase thereby breaking down the lubricating properties and destroying the motor by seizing bearings. Yesterday morning I checked and I couldn't really tell if the level had risen nor could I definitively say I could smell gas in the oil. However, out of an abundance of caution I went ahead and did an oil and filter change. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    Thanks for the update. Ive been following since the start, and look forward to the finish, and hearing how much you enjoyed the first ride.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Quick question, are you running the stock jets with the air filter box removed and the cone filters on? If so, you bike is likely running lean, and needs to be tuned with the correct jets.
    I'm running 130 mains right now, once I get the carbs flowing right I'll read the plugs and start the process of enriching the mix incrementally. It'll be dialed in before it's ridden.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I was having some trouble getting parts needed to fix the issues with the Mikuini MK2 carbs that I bought and rebuilt for this project. Then I came upon a solution that I wish I had known existed from the start. There is a company out there called Spec II that takes modern Mikuni carburetors and adapts them for vintage bikes. Then they tune the carbs specifically for those bikes for optimum performance. I pulled the trigger on a set of three of these and they have come in. I'm hoping to find time this holiday weekend to install them, so look for an update soon with a video of her running.

SpecIIMikuniCarbs_zpsd1b11b8d.jpg

Top Bottom