It's hot, what do you drink?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Drink only water while out in the hot summer sun all day and you're almost guaranteed to have heat exhaustion, possibly even heat stroke.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    It is very important to eat. The last time I felt heat strokish that was the problem. I drank plenty of water but didn't eat all day. The nurse told me it was because of a lack of sodium (I didn't understand that either). You're body does need some salt though. It needs plenty of different things.
    You should also consider taking multivitamins. They are cheap and can really help you especially if you work hard for a living.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I tried to eat a sandwich, I wasnt hungry from being so hot/tired. I couldnt eat the bread so I made myself eat the ham, didnt work out too well. Im sure asthma doesnt help either, neither do Fire retardent coveralls.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I have worked outside in the direct sun for a few years and have almost heatstroked out once and seen several men heatstroke in my life.If you eat a healthy diet then just water will probably work.I have a regular diet of good and bad food so every once in a while if its real hot Ill start to feel a sour feeling in my belly and the water just aint helping I know its time for potassium.Pedialite or gataoraide or smartwater.Whatever is at the store.cool water when your hot is better for you but Ice cold goes down so good.That and a hat keeps me alive on the roof.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    It is easy to heat stroke out in the sun...water,water,water,when in the hot sun,and drink every 15 to 20 mins continuously....Unsweetened fruit juices work well when trying to re-hydrate in the A.C. also cold fresh fruit works well... I personally hyave never had heat stroke,have gotten overheated,but never heat stroke...I understand that once you let yourself get heatstroke,later in life it is extremely easy to get heatstroke again..

Last edited:

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    +1 lol I really wanted to say Beer. But thats just me, all day long all day Miller Lite!

Never go inside to "cool off", that's the worst thing to do. Find some shade, sit up and relax.

Last edited:

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Water.

In the morning before work load up on liquids.

I have worked outside all my life. I would drink 2 gallons of room temperature water everyday.

Cramps are a strong sign of dehydration. Beware of what your body is saying to you.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I work all day in the hot sun but I cool off in air conditioning from time to time at least 10-15 minutes every 2 hours.
    I drink Powerade Zeros or Gatorade G2 for less sugar and calories. You can also drink the Vitamin Water Revive which has a lot of potassium in it. I also down a V8 low sodium every morning before work and it has 1180mg of potassium in it and only 200mg of sodium.
    Bananas and tomatos have a lot of potassium in them as well.
    Potassium is your friend in this heat.
    If you get cramps in your side or legs when working you can put some salt in a glass of water if no powerade/gatorade is available. i'm talking one or two of those packets from McDump that they give you for your fries and large glass of water or about 1/4th a teaspoon. You can't drink sea water.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    Rule of thumb from COSS safety school is one to three on Gatorade or Squencher to water. We used to mix 5 gallons of Squencher and 15 gallons of water each day for our crews. Also a good breakfast is important. Something more than coffee.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I start the day off with a low sodium V8
    I drink 1 liter of SmatrWater, 1 liter of Powerade lather rinse repeat. Usually 5-6 liters a day.
    If I feel cramps comming around Ill toss back 8oz. of dill pickle juice before bed.

Dont forget sunscreen also.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    One thing I tell my crews is to freeze a gallon jug of water. That way as it thaws you always have ice cold water through your day. If it is not thawing fast enough just pour some warm water over it. Worked for years for me

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Water and Gatorade /Powerade at a minimum 1 to 1 ratio, preferably two to 1

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    @JBE you can over salt yourself with that many electrolytes in your system if your drinking two gatorades to each one water. Could lead to craps and dehydration. Should be one gatorade to every three waters. Couldnt find the COSS chart but found a military chart with work/heat/liquid intake.
    252539_213207552033686_153830241304751_705151_4595168_n.jpg

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    brawndo01.gif

But seriously though, the kind of water you drink is important, too. SmartWater is bad for you, and Dasani and Aquafina (Aqua-funky) are crappy imitations of water.

You need natural spring water like Music Mountain or Evian or even Ozarka. You might even want to try some mineral water like Perrier, it tastes a little weird at first, but is really good for you. Natural is the key. The more it has been "scientifically" modified, the less good it does your body.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom