Its official. Im cable-less

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    i agree cable/direct tv cost too much and is mostly junk but i can't live without the history channel.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    i would if it werent for the history channel, discover and espn. the only thing I watch religiously is SEC football. i couldnt live through football season with just an antenna. wish someone offered a package where you could just pay for the channels you wanted and not the rest!

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    The only thing I need to work out are the local channels (news, Saints game, etc). I have not looked into antennas yet. Any ideas?

A buddy also suggested looking info Roku. Anyone use that?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I've had a Roku for years. It's awesome and the new ones just released are even MORE advanced.

Netflix and Roku are TOO AWESOME and TOO CHEAP not to have.

Does it have the GOOD history channel stuff or is it all their modern programming (CRAP!)?

I posted the link above where you can see every History channel show available to watch with the click of a button on Netflix Instant.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    I have a 3 or 4 year old roku box, that I gave to a friend after I got my ps3, tv, and blu-rays hooked up to the net.
    What do the new roku box's do?

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Only Free HD TV

Nawlins, and Baton Roach network channels, fox etc.

Oh and a big TALL ANTENA with rotor

Been that way out here in the country since 2004

OH by the way Home Phone went away over way before that!!!

Last edited:

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    I've been considering this, but the wife and I do enjoy out TV time together. I have a home phone, but it's over the interwebz.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I've been considering this, but the wife and I do enjoy out TV time together. I have a home phone, but it's over the interwebz.

We have 3 small kids so from 5:00 to 8:30 there is no sit down and watch TV time. However once them little boogers are in the bed me and the wife will fix like a late night dinner. We love watching Law and Order CI so we sit down with our food and press play. Again NO commercials. being that without the commercials it's like 40-50 minutes an episode we even watch two at a time.

I can tell you that we will more than likely NEVER go back to Cable/Satellite.

I would NOT be able to watch something then have to wait until NEXT WEEK to see what happens next. Or have to wait MONTHS for the next Season to start.

I actually watched all 8 Season of 24 back to back over a couple months. That was awesome. Season Finale Press Play Episode one on next season
    :D :D :D

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    This is something I've been thinking about for a while. We spend probably $120/month on satellite. I could live without regular TV, except for networks for the games. The only thing I don't think I could live without though, is DVR. Is there something out there that you can hook up to an HD antenna to record live like a DVR works? Obviously with Netflix, there would be no problem with regular shows.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    We have 3 small kids so from 5:00 to 8:30 there is no sit down and watch TV time. However once them little boogers are in the bed me and the wife will fix like a late night dinner. We love watching Law and Order CI so we sit down with our food and press play. Again NO commercials. being that without the commercials it's like 40-50 minutes an episode we even watch two at a time.

I can tell you that we will more than likely NEVER go back to Cable/Satellite.

I would NOT be able to watch something then have to wait until NEXT WEEK to see what happens next. Or have to wait MONTHS for the next Season to start.

I actually watched all 8 Season of 24 back to back over a couple months. That was awesome. Season Finale Press Play Episode one on next season
    :D :D :D

My wife and I did the same thing last year after we finished watching season 8 on Fox. We started watching the show with season 6, so we watched 6, 7, and 8 in order, but then started from the beginning and moved through the first seven again. Best show ever, IMO.

However, on topic, I have cable interwebz with Cox and we actually get expanded basic in the bedroom without charge and have been since December of 2009. Never mentioned it to them, they've never said anything to me about it, and I've been waiting since that time for it to just stop working one day, but it's still going. We watch a LOT of Netflix, but they are changing their policy soon and splitting up the instant package from the DVD packages, so we will likely stop getting instant and just stick with DVDs since there is a larger selection of DVDs than instant. There is always Hulu, anyway.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    We watch a LOT of Netflix, but they are changing their policy soon and splitting up the instant package from the DVD packages, so we will likely stop getting instant and just stick with DVDs since there is a larger selection of DVDs than instant.

I think that's only for NEW Accounts. Previous accounts will not be changed.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Oh? I hope that's the case, because I do enjoy having some of the older stuff around whenever I want it, but again, if it does affect long-time customers, I'll let it go for now. I'm really not too sure about it, because the account is in my wife's name and she gets all the emails about it, so I just got what she told me and nothing more.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    AFAIK, its is ALL Netflix acounts which are changing. They sent me this notice a month ago:

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
    Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.

–The Netflix Team

So, according to the notice, the price/plan change will happen automatically on September 1. You have been warned! :D

I changed IMMEDIATELY to streaming only. Otherwise I figured I'd forget, then suddenly have a $15.98 bill I don't want! $7.99 is more my style.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom