I've been thinking again

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    I've been thinking again. Yes, again. And this usually turns out to be expensive. I have bought several Cat III items during Obama's administration. I didn't need them, nor particularly want them. But was motivated to get them now, before they were banned.

Anyway, getting them is one thing. Keeping them is another. The wife and I went to the NRA annual meeting about a week back. In the back of my mind, I kinda worried about the security of my home while we were away. I know it should be OK. I live in a good neighborhood. I have an security alarm system. My son remained in my home. And I didn't make any public announcements of our absence until after we returned. But my guns were stored in a large tool gang box and that had me uneasy. Also any evacuation during the upcoming hurricane season also factored into my unease. I lost my treasured sailboat in Katrina. I also got forced into retirement before I was ready. And my home was damaged but not flooded. Since Katrina, any hurricane threat makes me go into a dark mood. So today, I bought a gun safe. It was expensive, but I feel good that I did.

Does anybody know if a gun safe offers any protection against the contents becoming flooded? Surely, someone has some experience in this.

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Not unless it's above the water line. They are not water tite, at least I have never seen one. Big difference between a fresh water flood and a salt water flood though and that would depend on where you live, salt water being more corrosive. Congrats on your purchase.

Last edited:

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Most safe have a hole in the back to run the wires for lights & de-humidifiers. So they are not water tight. I told brother-in-law I could rent a storage unit in a climate controlled building. Move everything in boxes so they wouldn't know there were firearms in the mix. He left half of his collection at his home in The Big Nasty, said didn't have room to store it up here.
    A safe is a very good thing to have when you want to store your collection at home. But when faced with a natural disaster you really need to move your collection out of the harms way. I wonder how many guns were destroyed in the aftermath of Katrina? You can use the store groom for not only firearms but all your important papers/pictures.

Beauxdog

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Perhaps one of the many reasons Jesus said don't store up a bunch of stuff that can decay or be stolen.
    As to watertightening a safe I would holler at Liberty to see what they say.

Last edited:

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    I have the NRA insurance and have another part on my home owners but I have to ask for that to be added. we also take them with us when we have to leave for weather reasons when everyone in the village has to leave.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Mine had 13" of flood water from Hurricane Isaac in it. Doesn't matter how big and heavy it is when the flood water comes. Like Beauxdog said, relocation before threat of flooding is the ticket. I was home at the time and moved most of my firearms to my attic. Then to a friend's home miles from the flooding 3 days later. Good reason to keep all ur firearms well oiled in prep. Even a couple of my SS weapons had some surface corrosion after 72+ hours of uncontrollable moisture in safe. Floods SUCK.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Sounds to me as if an enclosed travel trailer would be a good investment for those of you living south of I-10 (in the flood prone zones).

Remember this Emperor original quote:

If you have to split, take your ****!

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Sounds to me as if an enclosed travel trailer would be a good investment for those of you living south of I-10 (in the flood prone zones).

Remember this Emperor original quote:

Packages everything up very nicely for the thief who takes your whole trailer. ;)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Packages everything up very nicely for the thief who takes your whole trailer. ;)

Hey! I'm just talking about taking it out of a flood zone in the anticipation of a major flooding event! How someone protects their stuff when they get to dry land is on them!

I believe the alternative was leaving it in your house?!? After Katrina floodwaters finally receded, even the attics where water didn't reach, were so badly damaged by moisture, mold, mildew, and rust; that only the most pampered firearms would have survived.

Though I will cede that attics above a two story fared far better than single level attics. At least in Lakeview! ;)

Last edited:

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    So, I can't claim to know anything about how effective these actually are. They are pretty cheap, made-in-china Stack-on safes. But they CLAIM to be waterproof in up to 2ft standing water up to 72hr. And it has a 'fire rating'. I would not expect it to hold up long to pro-level thieves.
    Hope this helps. I would def try to move my collection, though.
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=50374856

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    I thought about this before and I ended up buying a truck tool box just small enough that I can load and unload myself. I padded the inside of it and made some shelving. If I ever need to evacuate I plan on screwing it down to my truck bed and putting my guns in there. They would be locked up and somewhat secure. I have insurance on all mine, but to have them with me would make me feel better. Some can't be replaced with money. The best thing you can do to keep them safe in the house when you are not there is a good safe, alarm, and insurance. Other than that you can't do much.

ETA: Also, the tool box serves well when making a trip to the range with several guns. Now I'm not carrying 6 separate rifle cases along with ammo and a bag of pistol cases. It's all in one box that I can use as an extra seat.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Hey! I'm just talking about taking it out of a flood zone in the anticipation of a major flooding event! How someone protects their stuff when they get to dry land is on them!

I believe the alternative was leaving it in your house?!? After Katrina floodwaters finally receded, even the attics where water didn't reach, were so badly damaged by moisture, mold, mildew, and rust; that only the most pampered firearms would have survived.

Though I will cede that attics above a two story fared far better than single level attics. At least in Lakeview! ;)

Absolutely.

I have just heard too many horror stories of trailers being stolen full of lawn equipment, tools, show motorcycles, drag cars, etc. I would be incredibly nervous parking a trailer overnight at a hotel or even once I got to my destination unless it was in a locked garage or truly secluded. I know it's anecdotal but it seems like thieves target trailers, and go to pretty great lengths to get them. They will disable alarms, cut through locks and chains, tow your entire rig out of the way to remove the trailer. And it doesn't matter if they get caught on camera because the police rarely even follow up.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Absolutely.

I have just heard too many horror stories of trailers being stolen full of lawn equipment, tools, show motorcycles, drag cars, etc. I would be incredibly nervous parking a trailer overnight at a hotel or even once I got to my destination unless it was in a locked garage or truly secluded. I know it's anecdotal but it seems like thieves target trailers, and go to pretty great lengths to get them. They will disable alarms, cut through locks and chains, tow your entire rig out of the way to remove the trailer. And it doesn't matter if they get caught on camera because the police rarely even follow up.

Almost makes you wonder if there would be a practical reason to truly waterproof a "gun" safe!?! My science knowledge suggests however, that the buoyancy of such an object could prove problematic! But, in the same vein; man has overcome a lot of crap in our short time here on Earth!

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Almost makes you wonder if there would be a practical reason to truly waterproof a "gun" safe!?! My science knowledge suggests however, that the buoyancy of such an object could prove problematic! But, in the same vein; man has overcome a lot of crap in our short time here on Earth!

You just have to fill it with enough lead, it won't float :D

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    In hindsight, maybe this thread would have been better posted under "hurricanes" because of the direction it has moved. But anyway, my personal hurricane plan is very complicated because I have a medium sized trans-ocean capable sailboat. I have ridden out every hurricane for the last 15 aboard a boat except for Katrina. During Katrina, I had stripped all the sails etc. off the boat for a previous hurricane threat that did not amount to anything. I was scheduled for back surgery on Sept 3, 2005 because of extreme back pain. I was able to make it to the boat prior to Katrina and with the help of several friends tied her up as well as I could. I returned home and placed my guns in the attic, with a huge amount of difficulty. Then my kids both evacuated to Florida with their then girlfriends and my wife and I rode out the storm in what was then the Kenner Regional Hospital where she worked. I was incapable of evacuating due to extreme pain. I could not even walk more than 20 feet much less ride in a car for hours on end. Three days later when the water receded around the hospital, we returned home. My home did not flood. My attached garage with a slab elevation just 3 inches lower did flood. It was that close. We remained home for several more days and decided we could not remain there. My car was almost out of gas and my medicines were running low and no means of replenishing these necessities. I loaded up my guns in the car and departed to a friends house in Zachary, LA. I had far fewer things at that time.

I have a replacement sailboat with plans to cruise the Caribbean for 2-3 years. I hope to depart this winter or spring of next year. I purchased a cargo type minivan 2 years ago to carry bulky items like sail bags back and forth to the boat. I measured my van. I have 48 inches between the wheel wells and have a storage length of 72 inches and door opening clearance of 50 inches.

Prior to purchasing the safe, I stored my guns in a tool box known as a "gang" box. It is 48 inches wide, 30 deep, and 36 inches tall. 30 inches is I remove the legs and wheels. If I am forced to evacuate, I am thinking about placing this box in the van and then loading the guns in it. There is no way I can load it full. My bullet storage is mostly in what should be water proof plastic ammo cans. Some will ride it out in a the safe and some will go into the van. The van will go to Zachary, LA with my wife. I will go to boat and remain there, or go to Zachary after preparing boat. Depending upon the storm forecast. The boat is docked on the northshore of the lake which will at least have me north of most of the evacuation traffic.

Thanks guys. You did make it abundantly clear, leaving the guns in the safe when a flood is possible or likely is not the right thing to do.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom