ive got 99 problems and cosmoline is one

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I tried brake cleaner in my new AK and it was useless. I finally got some mean green degreaser and soaked it in the tub and that worked.of course this was done before wife got home from work :sly:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Small metal parts, boil in water.
    Stock and barrel, LA Totally Awesome from the dollar store.

Any other degreaser should work fine.

For the stock I sprayed with cleaner, scrubbed with a brush, rinsed with water, let dry, repeat as necessary.

GaryCCR

Off target
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Westbank, La
    I used mineral spirits on the metal parts. For the stock you can put it in the sun and let it heat up so the cosmoline will leech out. The cosmoline, if it's not crusty, will be easier to remove if it's warm.

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Boil the small parts (disassemble the bolt) in an old pot you don't use for food. Wipe down with towels while still hot and put in the oven set on 200 degrees to drive off the remaining water. I just wipe down the wood. As for the bore you can run some boiling water down it from the chamber end to soften it up and then clean it out with patches and then with a brush and bore cleaner. A guy told me he puts a rubber stopper in the muzzle and then fills it up with something (I don't recall what) and let's it sit overnight. Obviously you need to stand the barrel vertically.

julicaro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    New Orleans
    Good advice will probably go with the simple green and see how it works out. When winter is over i plan on sweating the rifle stock in my attic.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I've found gasoline to work pretty good on metal. But Mek will remove every trace of oils and grease from the barrel and action. Oil quickly after or it will start rusting fast.

gcab985

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Raceland, LA
    Removing Cosmoline

I have five Mosin Nagant rifles. To remove cosmoline, I disassembled the rifle and bolt. I wiped down all parts using paper towels dampened with mineral spirits. I put smaller parts into an ultrasonic cleaner with mineral spirits while I worked on the larger parts.

I placed the wooden parts in the sun (It was summer). Right now I would probably place them on a garbage bag on the dash of my car out in the sun) I would wipe them down when the parts got warm to remove the cosmoline that leaches out.

For the barrel, I repeatedly ran brushes and patches through it. I would clean the brushes with CRC electric cleaner. I used a .410 brush and mop to clean the chamber, and used toothbrushes (or small brushes) to clean the receiver area.

After removing the cosmoline, I used Hoppes #9 for a general cleaning as I would after shooting and oiled the rifle down.

I did notice that after shooting a lot, I would see additional cosmoline weep out of the handguard from the barrel heat and would just wipe that off with paper towels.

I think they look great now.

gcab985

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    Gcab's on the money. This is how I've done several SKS and Mosin's. Black hefty bags in the Louisiana sun, your attic, or your cars dash. Since you probably cant fit that furniture in your oven, and even if you could it smells terrible. Boil anything metal small enough to fit into a pot you dont want to eat out of. A kerosene soak will get most of the bigger metal clean, and finish it all off with simple green. You may have to heat and wipe down the furniture several times before all the cosmo has leached out.

Top Bottom