J Frame Pistol Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crewdawg

F-15 Eagle Crew Chief
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Amite, LA
    I have heard about J Frame pistols before, but being a noob, I have no idea what it means. What does the term J Frame mean?

I have also heard about K Frame also. What is the difference, and is there any other "Frames" out there that I should know about? Thanks:confused:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    A revolver frame is the portion that hold the revolver's mechanism and at least part of the hand grip usually. The cylinder, barrel, sights, etc all attach to the frame.

Manufacturers have different sized frames. Think like small, medium and large. So each frame type has to have a name. They're given a letter designation because a frame isn't caliber specific. The large frame "N" sized S&W for example is chambered for 44 magnum, 10mm auto, 45 acp to name just a few. But the frame is the same size for each. A K frame S&W is a Model 10 size. I guess I'd call it a medium. The model 10 for example is 38 special with cylinder that holds six rounds. A J frame is a small frame. The cylinder holds five 38 special rounds. Smaller frame so it must have a smaller cylinder. This is an over simplification but gets you a basic understanding.

Remember each manufacturer assigns it's own designation. I.E. a J frame S&W and a J frame Colt are very different animals.

Dave

Pookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    My understanding is that revolvers are not referred to as pistols (at least not in the U.S.). Elsewhere (Britain and Europe), a pistol can be either. No idea why this is.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    According to Meriam Webster Dictionary the definition of a pistol is a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel. I can't speak for what they do in Europe.

Dave

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    My understanding is that revolvers are not referred to as pistols (at least not in the U.S.). Elsewhere (Britain and Europe), a pistol can be either. No idea why this is.

I find it kind of silly myself. Generally, if it's a revolver, is not a "pistol" but we used to call them pistols before autoloader came around.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Oh, the J frame is just S&W's designation for a small frame revolver, usually in .38 special.

I have a Taurus 605 that is a J-Frame sized revolver, but in .357 Mag.

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    It's funny...Sam Colt referred to his early products as 'revolving pistols'.

S&W has used initials to identify the size of the frame upon which the revolver is built.
    Currently, the J-frame is the smallest size [most often seen as a 5 shot .38 Spc], the K-frame is the next size up, followed by the L-frame and then the N-frame.

The reason that the J-frame is a 5 shot .38 is because the cylinder was originally conceived as a 6 shot .32 cal and when they decided to offer it in .38, they could fit only five of the larger cartridges into the existing size.

columbo

La CHP Instructor #468
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Alexandria
    Here are some possible explanation:

Etymology of "pistol"
    Hand Cannon from the Chinese Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368).

The word "pistol" is derived from the French pistole (or pistolet), which has these possible origins:

* From the Czech pistole and this one from the Czech píšťala (flute or pipe, referring to the shape of a Hussite firearm), from Middle High German pischulle or from Middle French pistole.
    * From the city of Pistoia, Italy, where hand-held guns (designed to be fired from horseback) were first produced in the 1540s.[6]
    * That early pistols were carried by cavalry in holsters hung from the pommel (or pistallo in medieval French) of a horse's saddle.
    credit to Wikiedia

columbo

La CHP Instructor #468
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Alexandria
    I'm starting to get into this "forum" thing!!!!
    You ask a question and get "much more" than you asked for!!!!!!
    Ain't America great|!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom