Jack's Powder Keg

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marco

Family Friendly
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Sulphur LA.
    Has anyone successfully purchased black powder from these people? I called 3 times. The first time I was told to leave my name and number and would have my call returned the next day. 2 days later I called back and was put on the line with the guy. He told me he had a reinactment to do and in 2 weeks he would have me some powder. I waited 2 and a half weeks and called back. The secretary who wasn't very polite took my name and number again and said that they would be getting back with me. Well, 2 weeks later still nothing. I was trying to buy from an individual and his pricing is good but I may have to go through one of the online bigger companies.

Huckleberry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    River Ridge, LA
    I buy a case of GOEX from Judge Piazza at Jack's Powder Keg every year or so. Never had a problem The judge is a pretty busy guy and runs Jack's Powder Keg as a sideline to assure a source of powder for his historical reenactment group and other groups. A few year ago he obtained one of the 15 GOEX distributorships in the U.S. I usually pick up my powder from him when he's attending a reenactment event in my area to save shipping cost. His reenactment persona is Jack Key. He's easy to spot at a reenactment because he wears a long white duster.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Powder Inc. in Arkansas............Order online and shipped to your door hassle free!! Angelo Piazza is way too busy to deal with unless like Huckleberry said, and meet him at a re-enactment.

CHAMEG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Well Marco,

I am familiar with Jacks Powder Keg and find your assertions to be off base. These folks are a small company among the very few remaining black powder distributors. I am personally familiar with Angelo(Jack), and the focus of Jacks Powder Keg is apparently for historical reenactments--his hobby. My experience is that he will make only one attempt to return a call, and helps alot of black powder shooters. Apparently, you did speak to him. Also, you have to register with them before they ship, or sell. Did you do that??? He does spend alot of time out reenacting. Many other forums idicate that Jacks does a great service for black powder enthusiasts and historical reenacting. I am aware that there is a 5lb minimum black powder possession law in Louisiana and that they follow this rule. As for his "secretary who wasn't very polite"--well we do not have her side of the conversation either--given your admitted frustration when calling back. This negative attitude explains why many local gun shops, etc., may perhaps refuse to handle black powder.. Obviously, others do not share your view and have successfully made purchases with him. But you can't please everybody all the time.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Well Marco,

I am familiar with Jacks Powder Keg and find your assertions to be off base. These folks are a small company among the very few remaining black powder distributors. I am personally familiar with Angelo(Jack), and the focus of Jacks Powder Keg is apparently for historical reenactments--his hobby. My experience is that he will make only one attempt to return a call, and helps alot of black powder shooters. Apparently, you did speak to him. Also, you have to register with them before they ship, or sell. Did you do that??? He does spend alot of time out reenacting. Many other forums idicate that Jacks does a great service for black powder enthusiasts and historical reenacting. I am aware that there is a 5lb minimum black powder possession law in Louisiana and that they follow this rule. As for his "secretary who wasn't very polite"--well we do not have her side of the conversation either--given your admitted frustration when calling back. This negative attitude explains why many local gun shops, etc., may perhaps refuse to handle black powder.. Obviously, others do not share your view and have successfully made purchases with him. But you can't please everybody all the time.

Actually it is 5 Lb. MAXIMUM!!!!:flamed:Rough way to start off on Bayou Shooter with your very first post!!

CHAMEG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    What has been your experience with Jacks?? Just seems to me like you and marco are pretty fast at throwing the hatchet at him. How do you know him?? I know him through reenacting, and yes he is busy. Maybe he had a reason for not calling marco--a second time--especially after his secretary was probably insulted by a mad caller. I also shop with Powder Inc. Good folks there too. So are Coonies, and all the rest of the black powder folks. Thanks for correcting me on the 5lb "maximum" for Louisiana.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Tried ordering from them earlier this year. Too big of a hassle.
    The issue is he isn't a businessman, but a hobbiest, so that comes first.

I ended up ordering online.

CHAMEG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I am attaching a recent forum comment from the "Authentic Campaigner Forum" of civil war reenactors concerning Jacks Powder Keg:

"brag on Jack's Powder Keg
    i must say how quickly Jack's Powder Keg got my order shipped and delivered-didn't even wait for the check to clear!we'll be using it next season and if all works out for many years to come.Even with the shipping etc. it was cheaper than local,when you can find it.
    they were very helpful and professional ,i highly reccomend them ,for what it's worth.
    Bones
    Doug Jarrett
    Armory Guards"

sounds like a good "businessman" to me.

Top Bottom