Jambalaya pot setup

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    This is not recipe, but a recommendation. Recently I bought a 10 gallon jambalaya pot setup with a cheap burner that came with it. Today, while cooking a batch of jambalaya with it, it took a very long time to get the liquid up to a boil with my burner and I noticed that there was a hot spot in the pot. To make the story short, I went to Krazy Kajun Cookware in St. Amant and bought one of his wind shroud encased burners on casters with a 10 inch Hurricane type burner that puts out 80,000 BTU of heat. This is one hell of a jambalaya burner. Completely welded and holds the pot very securely.

If you need a burner for your pot, you need to check this guy out.

This is the burner I bought.

http://prostores1.megawebservers.com/krazykajuncookware_com/Categories.bok?category=Roll Combo

Last edited:

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    How'd your Jambalya come out?
    I have done 2 batches with rice so far. 1st batch, I did not cook the pork long enough but the flavor was right. It was only a 2lb batch. Yesterday I did a 4lb batch (diff recipe). Another really good recipe and I added an extra lb of rice to it. This was where I noticed the problem with burner. It would cool down way to much and take a very long time to come back up to temp after I would add the pork and onions. Now, I can wait to try another batch with my new burner setup.

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    That's a fine rig. I think your biggest problem may have been the first burner being too small. Mine is 80K and if the wind is calm it's fine. My pot is 10 gallon and I have a wind guard I made from the curved clamp pieces used to join culverts. It works but it's not tall enough. I might run over to SA and check that guy out.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Todd, I didn't forget about the recipe.
    I use a flat bottom pot but have a piece of 1/2" stainless that my pot sits on to promote even heating.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    The 1st night I had my pot, I fried some chicken in it. Using 5qts of oil and with the burner wide open, the temp of the oil would drop all the way down to 225, from 350, when I would put 6 pieces of chicken, and would take at least 10 minutes to get back above 300.

This is the type of burner I am talking about

http://www.cookware.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=BAY1112&refid=FR75-BAY1112

Last edited:

crazy white boy

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    St. Charles Parish Hahnville
    Pots

There is a shop in Paulina and the guy builds the burners with rollers are without that you are speaking of. He does an excellent job he also sells pots and the aluminum serving lids that are hinged you wont beat his prices or quality I can assure you of that. The guys name is Randy Oubre I copied his ad from another Sports site and I am pasting it for you. I have bought his stuff and it is good.

R & R WELDING
    I have discount prices on Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot & Custom Stand give me a call. I also build Custom Stands for old pots. All my prices include tax. These Custom Stands and Jambalaya Pots makes great giftes for Christmas, birthdays, weddings and more. Great for cooking that deer at the hunting camp. Bring it with you on tour next fishing trip to cook all those fish. Need to call before coming over, I do this part time. The 4 & 5 gallon Comes with Cured Pot, Custom Stand, cast iron lid, 6' burner, & 2 hooks. The 10, 15, 20 & 28 comes with Cured Pot, Custom Stand, 11' burner, aluminum lid & 2 hooks(the 28 gallon comes with aluminum serving lid). **** 4 gal. $145 Casters $195 **** **** 5 gal. $162 Casters $212 **** **** 10 gal. $250 Casters $300 **** **** 15 gal. $310 Casters $380 **** **** 20 gal. $355 Casters $425 **** **** 28 gal. $570 Casters $640 **** 42' SS Paddle $22 High Press. Regulator W/5' Hose $35 R & R WELDING 2671 Admirals Landing Paulina, LA 70763 Randy cell # 504-417-6263

randyoubre

randyoubre

10 gal. W/casters $300

randyoubre

15 gal. $380 ; 20 gal. $425 ; 28 gal. $640

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Todd don't know what kind of regulator you bought with your burner, but the best ones are the red ones with the knob, they are about $50 and will work better than those little silver ones that don't last. Next time I cook a big jambalaya for the airport fly-in I'll get you to come help and see how I do a 30# jambalaya.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    +1 for the red ones with the knob. Be sure to get an extra O-ring and carry in your stuff though.

Something else I did that made life easier was to convert the ends to quick-connect air fittings, like the ones on your compressor and hose. That way, the hose isn't connected to the burner or the tank which are a PITA to move around when connected, and this way you don't need tools to take the rig down.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Vigilante - I would like that.

There was a regulator that came with the burner. The one I bought yesterday I hooked up to a SS regulator that was "donated" from one of the plants and can go up to 50 PSI

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    There is a shop in Paulina and the guy builds the burners with rollers are without that you are speaking of. He does an excellent job he also sells pots and the aluminum serving lids that are hinged you wont beat his prices or quality I can assure you of that. The guys name is Randy Oubre I copied his ad from another Sports site and I am pasting it for you. I have bought his stuff and it is good.

R & R WELDING
    I have discount prices on Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot & Custom Stand give me a call. I also build Custom Stands for old pots. All my prices include tax. These Custom Stands and Jambalaya Pots makes great giftes for Christmas, birthdays, weddings and more. Great for cooking that deer at the hunting camp. Bring it with you on tour next fishing trip to cook all those fish. Need to call before coming over, I do this part time. The 4 & 5 gallon Comes with Cured Pot, Custom Stand, cast iron lid, 6' burner, & 2 hooks. The 10, 15, 20 & 28 comes with Cured Pot, Custom Stand, 11' burner, aluminum lid & 2 hooks(the 28 gallon comes with aluminum serving lid). **** 4 gal. $145 Casters $195 **** **** 5 gal. $162 Casters $212 **** **** 10 gal. $250 Casters $300 **** **** 15 gal. $310 Casters $380 **** **** 20 gal. $355 Casters $425 **** **** 28 gal. $570 Casters $640 **** 42' SS Paddle $22 High Press. Regulator W/5' Hose $35 R & R WELDING 2671 Admirals Landing Paulina, LA 70763 Randy cell # 504-417-6263

randyoubre

randyoubre

10 gal. W/casters $300

randyoubre

15 gal. $380 ; 20 gal. $425 ; 28 gal. $640

I spoke to him on the phone. I like that his stands have the handles on it, but did not like the 4 casters and just that one opening on the side for ventilation. I sure it cooks fine, but it was not what I was looking for this time. I am sure he could custom build one. He actually quoted me $190 on the phone for just the stand with casters for a 10 gal pot.

Last edited:

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    IDK what kind of burner/pot combo my grandpaw has. I'm not sure the size they are either. He has about 3 or 4 of them and they are all have a diameter of about 3-3.5ft. Those pots make some GOOOD jambalaya and crawfish etouffee. I know the post were big enough to cook for over 1500-2000 people at a benefit we had over the summer.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Why are you-all using such large equipment to cook such small amounts of food?
    I have a 7-1/2 Gal heavy aluminum pot from a WW-II US Naval vessel & it will cook a whole lot more than is being discussed here.
    Is there something that I am missing?
    leVieux

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I help cook for charity events and other fundraisers in Vacherie. A 10 gallon pot full will serve alot of people. Plus, I like to do cracklin and this setup is the best chicken fryer you can get.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Before we moved here I was not a big fan of rice dishes but after a few years now I love jambalaya and red beans and rice. I would like to get a rig and learn how to make real jambalaya but there is only my wife, daughter and myself.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Plain and simple. I just enjoy cooking and give most of what I cook away to the neighbors. To me it is all about the learning process.

dogbaron

Long Ago and Far Away
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Before we moved here I was not a big fan of rice dishes but after a few years now I love jambalaya and red beans and rice. I would like to get a rig and learn how to make real jambalaya but there is only my wife, daughter and myself.

When I cook jambalaya for 4 to 6 of us I use a 12 quart Lodge cast iron dutch oven. If you are interested, I can send you my recipe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom