Japanese Nuclear plant BLEW!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    These are human beings and regardless what happens at the Nuke, these humans are suffering BADLY! Keep them all in your prayers and THANK GOD you live in "DA BAYOUS"!!!

KT

Amen to this.....we were just talking about this at the house.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    They are attempting to pump sea water into the vessel to cool the reactor.. I am concerned if they do that, what do they do with the steam> are they pushing it back out to the sea? they cant contain the pressures now since the quake likely hurt the exchangers.. and the HIGH PRESSURE sides..

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    After reading the stories from Fox News and CNN.... CNN is actually doing a much better job with reporting the facts and even with grammar/spelling/editing. Fox really should be ashamed of what they are putting on their website..... and I generally like Fox better.

The walls of a concrete building surrounding the reactor container collapsed, but the reactor and its containment system were not damaged in the explosion, Edano said.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    They are attempting to pump sea water into the vessel to cool the reactor.. I am concerned if they do that, what do they do with the steam> are they pushing it back out to the sea? they cant contain the pressures now since the quake likely hurt the exchangers.. and the HIGH PRESSURE sides..

They are going to flood containment using sea water. I do not think they are going to be pumping sea water through only to dump it back in the sea. The water will just be the heat sink and heat will cause natural circulation of the water.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Handing out potassium iodine/iodate tablets? There's your confirmation right there. Blocks absorption into the thyroid.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    After reading the stories from Fox News and CNN.... CNN is actually doing a much better job with reporting the facts and even with grammar/spelling/editing. Fox really should be ashamed of what they are putting on their website..... and I generally like Fox better.

Try BBC or Reuters,

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Try BBC or Reuters,

Much better coverage. Fox news efforts are pretty sad. They are not even editing what they put up. :o

Handing out potassium iodine/iodate tablets? There's your confirmation right there. Blocks absorption into the thyroid.

That is pretty bad. It may be part of their action plan and more of a proactive than reactive action.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    I have one major issue so far with some idiot expert they have on the CNN report.

He said that this will rank in the top three worst nuclear disasters, behind Chernobyl, and TMI (three mile island)

Chernobyl, yeah, serious **** up there. TMI, come on! That was possibly the absolutely most over reported non-threatening accident in the world, ever. The radiation leakage was ridiculously low. Windscale was much worse, and only one person got radiation sickness from that one, and there has been a slight increase over a norm standard deviation of cancer variances in the area. With TMI, no radiation sicknesses, and any increase in cancer has been below one standard deviation.

Calling TMI the second worst nuclear disaster is ridiculous, preposterous, and destroys any credibility you may have had before. Sounds like this guy works for Green Peace or some other greenie nutjob orginazation.

Edited to add, one thing that this thing shows, is the need to make the move over to Gen IV nuclear power with passive safety systems. The failure here is, in all cases, a failure in an active safety system.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    SO seriously? What does this mean?

Is this like Hiroshima or are we looking at TEOTWAWKI type nuclear fallout?

Will people be able to live there?

Iodine protects the thyroid from the effects of radiation. It is possible that their emergency plan requires handing this out in a proactive rather than reactive manner, but we are not getting the details we need to really know.

I doubt there will be a Chernobyl type accident as the core design is very different.

depends if they keep it from thermal run away.. wont be the end for us, but maybe for the locals..

They will flood it with sea water, it should keep it cool enough. It was probably designed that way.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Does anyone else find it funny that they have the most advanced earthquake protection and do yearly NATIONAL earthquake drills with great success, yet we cut funding for those kinds of programs.

From what I hear, Japan is not real big on welfare either!

Just saying.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    Does anyone else find it funny that they have the most advanced earthquake protection and do yearly NATIONAL earthquake drills with great success, yet we cut funding for those kinds of programs.

From what I hear, Japan is not real big on welfare either!

Just saying.

yes... they still believe in natural selection

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    There is still room in my backyard for a drilling platform and a reactor burried 200ft under ground. We only have unicorn milk that is safe enough to use as fuel.

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Iodine protects the thyroid from the effects of radiation. It is possible that their emergency plan requires handing this out in a proactive rather than reactive manner, but we are not getting the details we need to really know.

I doubt there will be a Chernobyl type accident as the core design is very different.

They will flood it with sea water, it should keep it cool enough. It was probably designed that way.

We have the same procedures here too. You can put various water sources in the vessel then they come out of the vessel into a pool of water that acts as a cooling volume. then that water is pumped back into the vessel to cool the reactor down.Hydrogen is generated in the normal operation of the plant. It looks like they emergency vented containment to prevent breaking it and the hydrogen exploded outside the building.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    yes... they still believe in natural selection

funny thing is i watched O'Reilly last night, he was interviewing an American in Japan who's reporting the event... O'Reilly asked him if there was any looting, to which the guy replied, "No, Japanese people are more disciplined than to loot, they just evacuated." which made me laugh cause i would have said, "No, Japanese people arent like the monkeys after Katrina."

Top Bottom