Jericho / Baby-Eagle, 9mm advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    Hi Again, gents.

So in 3 weeks, i'll be buying a handgun. I'm pretty excited because i'm finally picking up a jericho/baby-eagle II. I fired one probably over a decade ago and fell in hot sweaty love with it. This pistol and a FN-FAL were the only guns I stayed up nights thinking about. Last year, I got a FAL. This year, it is the time of Jericho/Baby-Eagle.

So, what really turned me on to the Jericho was how the gun fit my hands. I really don't have big gorilla hands that can envelop any gun. I have average "too small to be a football player" hands.

My problem right now is barrel length. I want a full size gun but I don't want it to be like shooting a 92F. I didn't want anything the size of a 92F. The guns im looking at are either 4.5" barrel (beretta 92F is 4.9"), 4" and 3.6". I plan on doing a ****-ton of target practice out to 25 yards and maybe, one day, getting involved in some basic competition.

I'm leaning heavily towards the 4" barrel but am curious to get any input about this pistol. Any tips on the barrel length or anything else?

Jericho 9mm, 3.9" Barrel, 15+1

And yes, i'm dead set on 9mm right now. There's not a whole lot of recoil to worry about and the steel frame will make it even more manageable, like a CZ.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    I have a polymer .40S&W with the 3.9" barrel and I absolutely LOVE it. I've never really wanted another PRACTICAL handgun but the Baby Eagle. I want a Desert Eagle .50AE, but that's more as a bragging rights type thing. I have not fired the full size 4.5" barrel, so I cannot speak for it, but the only difference between the full size and 3.9" barrel is the barrel length. The grip is full size, which makes it good for people who have normal sized hands and not children's hands. I honestly don't think it's possible to be disappointed when buying a Baby Eagle, but I'm a bit biased.

BRMedic

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Henderson, CO
    I have the semi-compact in 9 and so far its been great. Shot it in the magpul handgun 2 class with no problems and I'm just now consistently having problems with it (worn extractor) after almost 10k or so down the pipe.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I e got the subcompact in 40 and lovelovelovelove it. The wife carried it for a year or so and I just got it back from her woohoo

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    Well damn. Apparently I wasn't the only one that fell in love at first shot.

3.9" it is. I can't freaking wait.

Oh, any ammo recommendations? I was thinking of running surplus through it for practice, but is there any ammo it really likes over something else?

Last edited:

Red35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Prarieville
    I shoot the 941 also and the only thing I see it not liking is the steel cased russian ammo. I shoot pmc or monarch just for target practice

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    I've only shot about 100 rounds through mine in total. About 50 rounds were just plain Jane Federal, and the other 50 were USA Ammo reloads. No problems, but not enough to really judge what it likes.

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    I got mine in '95, one of the Israeli-made, all steel, short barrel, short grip. And even though I LOVE my 1911s, I am more consistent with the BE, quick on target, plus I've got small hands and it fits like a glove!

My only complaint is that the all steel gun, fully loaded, is way too heavy for CC for me. So it lives by the bed and is the travel vehicle gun.

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    I was curious about that. It's 2.4lbs, which is a fair amount of weight, and then you have to load it. I want the steel frame to manage recoil (I won't be the only one firing it) but i'd go with a polymer one eventually.

And for everyone else, thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure to ignore the steel cased stuff.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    It is heavy but I don't use it forncc so no issue

Mine has eaten up everything I've ever tried to put through it. About 5k rounds without a single malfunction. Ever.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    The recoil with the polymer model is MORE than manageable. I'm not big, 6', 170lbs, pretty scrawny, and I have no trouble shooting 180grn and getting back in line for follow up shots within tenths of a second. I don't know your situation, but just a reference.

lamuskrat

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    French Settlement, La
    I'd be willing to put one of our 3 up against any major name pistol any day. Heavy yes. Affordable yes. Accurate oh yeah.
    This is the gun they will have to pry from my cold dead hand. I have had and shot many pistols but the Jericho 941 all steel is my favorite.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    I'd be willing to put one of our 3 up against any major name pistol any day. Heavy yes. Affordable yes. Accurate oh yeah.
    This is the gun they will have to pry from my cold dead hand. I have had and shot many pistols but the Jericho 941 all steel is my favorite.

Same here. This is one gun that I wouldn't sell even if I was homeless. I plan on it going to my daughter when I'm gone.

I originally bought it as a CCW, but being my size, it didn't conceal well, and it was very heavy and was causing me back pains, but the gun itself is far more accurate than I am. Again, even with the polymer frame and 180grn .40 rounds, it goes back into the original position within milliseconds, basically. It's like it has no recoil at all because of how well it's built.

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    I was about to buy the baby egale 9mm but I've read on a bunch of forums that people have been having FTF FTE I guess that was the case with the newer built ones.i passed on it and got a cz75b

This with the new polymer or steel frame?

I did a search and didn't come up with but one forum post from 11 talking about a FTF FTE event.

There were no malfunctions in the begining but about 60 rounds in it started to jam on the last round. I think it had gotten too dirty by that point, I was using some filthy russian steel case stuff (Wolf,Tula,Barnaul).

Last edited:

lilrogak47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    baton rouge, la
    The poly .40 3.9" was my first handgun purchase. I ended up selling it a while back to a friend, and picked up a FNP40. At the time, the steel frame models did not come with an accessory rail, and that is the only reason I went with the poly. The steel frame does feel nice in the hand. I am now looking to move on to a glock 23. I guess sooner or later I'll find one that I will be reluctant to sell, I am hoping sooner than later. Anyways, glad to know that I wasn't the only one here who had a "love at first sight" with a baby eagle. They are very nice weapons, just not "the one" for me. Maybe I am being too picky.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom