Jerky tips, tricks, recipes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DevinLSU

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    CenLA
    I just got a dehydrator and am interested in making jerky. Do you have any tips, tricks or recipes for a rookie? Thanks in advance!

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I make jerky a few times a year to keep a good supply for hurricane's, long car vacations, hikes, ect. I made my own out of roasts and such, using different amounts of soy, brown sugar, teriaky, and they were all good, but the best liked in my house is the ground beef jerky made from the seasoning packs. http://www.lemproducts.com/category/jerky-seasoning. I'm ashamed to admit it, as I like to cook and make everything just about from scratch, but these do taste really good. I then seal them in foodsaver vacuum plastic in portions. Use the leanest ground beef you can get, 90+, and if you catch it on sale and make a lot, you can get away pretty cheap. I will defiantly be watching this tread to see what the resident experts contribute!

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    My only tip, is dont cut the meat to thin if using a knife. I always cut it to thin and it shrivels up to hardly anything. If you think its to thick, its probably just right.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Trim as much fat off meat as possible. I usually cut my jerky slices around 1/4" thick and marinate for 24 hours. Spray dehydrator trays with pam so meat doesn't stick. Rotate trays every few hours to check on it and make sure it cooks evenly. There are a lot of good recipes online, but you will find what you like best by tasting the marinade as you make it. You can make it in bulk and freeze in ziplocs to eat later on. I pulled some out of the freezer after 2 years and it still tasted like the day I made it after thawing. Good luck.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    I use deer meat and it turns out pretty good. As kengel2 said, you have to cut it at least a 1/4" thick. I use a dehydrater and it takes about 10-12 hours @ 155 degrees.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I never used ground meat, I let it go about 8 hours and even my to thin pieces come out pretty good, a little thicker piece would be perfect.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I'll dig up my recipe from my grandfather tomorrow.
    As said buy the leanest cuts you can and trim them.
    I usually cut strips six by inch and a half by a quarter to three eights thick.
    Let soak in marinade at 18-24 hours.
    Dehydrate 18 - 24 hours rotating trays every 6

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    I should add, it took me a while to get the nerve to try it with ground beef, just seemed strange. Seemed like it would make me sick. It does not, it comes out really well, more like cheap commercial jerky (the kind always in the uniform sticks)

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    OK now ya'll have me thinking this might be a good Christmas gift for me to put on my list. I've never done it and don't know anything about making Jerky..Just know we like it and my kids love it too. Any suggestions for a newbie in this area. I am considered a very good cook in the kitchen and outdoors so I know my way around a kitchen so to speak...just don't know anything about dehydrating/drying meats. Any info greatly appreciated. Are any of the things at Cabelas worth a crap??? Thanks again to my brothers and sisters on BS!!!!!

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    You can start without buying any special tools.

Pick a lean roast and have it sliced 1/4".
    Marinate with you choice of seasoning.
    Place in oven on the lowest heat setting. (cover bottom rack with foil to catch drippings) Prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon to let the moisture out.
    Remove when meat is dried out.

fruit_rollup4.jpg

You can lay the meat on the rack or hang it.

038.jpg

ven_jerky_oven1-e1388767102920.jpg

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    So I take it most folks use an oven?? I thought you needed a dehydrator or something but I like the idea. I'm guessing the marinade and cut are the critical things?? This is getting interesting!

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Just read some information on them myself. Sounds like the Nesco and Excaliburs are highly rated..looks like a good choice.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    So I take it most folks use an oven?? I thought you needed a dehydrator or something but I like the idea. I'm guessing the marinade and cut are the critical things?? This is getting interesting!

I bought this
    http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ope...-jerkymaster-dehydrator/pid-27945?N=837681304
    at academy and it works great, but the oven will work just fine as well. The cuts and the salting are the critical things (to keep the diarrhea away!), marinade makes the taste.

I use this gun I got from academy
    http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lem-0-75-lb-jerky-gun/pid-500243
    and it also works great. Around here it is known as the meat cannon.

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Do you need to use sodium nitrate? Or is it just needed for long term preserving? I've made some before with out it and it was good, however, it didn't sit around long enough for much to go wrong with it. Btw, I have a Nesco, it works great.

Top Bottom