Jerry's 1000 yard 9mm shot

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    That dude is a great shooter. I thought I was doing well to hit a 3x4' target at around 150 to 200 yards with a 9mm. It is a pretty flat shooting round, especially compared to a .45.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge

ummmm, sorry bro but pulling the trigger really fast? thats a hell of a lot different than putting a 9mm on a ballon at 1000 yards in 2 tries. come on, thats not even in the same league. Even as bambam posted, a glock at 200 yards on a sandbag is believable. to say that jerry turned his shoulder into a damn compass is BS. "oh I was 30 feet and 70 feet high on the first one?" "ok i'll just adjust my holdover, and point my muzzle at 5.3 degrees ." come on man

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    He never actually claimed he hit it on the 2nd shot if I remember the video correctly.

If i could hit a 1000 yard shot with a pistol in a half case of ammo I'd be happy!

At 1000 yards the drop has got to be huge. It would seem to me the gun would be up 30 degrees+... just curious, not doubting.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Ok, well, I was bored here in KSA and did some napkin math:

from my handy ballistics calculator app, i got the bullet drop on the 9mm 147gr honady XTP round: 234.33ft @ 1000y.
    at 3,oooft, that gives us an arctan of 4.35 degrees.
    1 arcminute (MOA for shooters) is 1/60th of a degree, so that comes out to about 270 MOA.

I think thats 78mils, but someone else can check that one, i'm not that familiar with it.

An incredible feat, no matter how many rounds it took to get it on target. he would have been aiming at sky with ridiculously small aimpoint adjustments even to walk rounds onto the target with a spotter.

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    I told you how it's done. you put a guy down range, off to the side, with protection from your bullets, where he can spot your hits and call you on the cell phone. You spot it on, like artillery fire, noting where you are aiming. when you get it close, you stop and let him go set up something to aim at (precisely) like a big, different colored rock. then you fire, have him move it, etc, until you have the shots grouping as close as possible around the target.

Ed Mcgivern put his guy in a little hole in the ground, and used a flag on a pole as the target-indicator. he was getting a fair % of hits on a man torso at 600 yds, with an 8" 357

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    By no means am I an expert at ballistics. But have shot 9mm and .45 at 100 yards or so, ain't gonna be the guy in the hole with the cell phone with a .45 going long range.

Just me.

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    if the hole's deep enough, why worry? :-) and if your man can shoot and you're 50 yds to the side, why worry? Yes, I could get the groups hitting around the target well enough, in a day or so, but the group would be 10ft wide, if it was me shooting, offhand. :-) So getting 2 hits might take the better part of a day. AFTER I knew where to aim.

when Jeff Cooper was running the first Metallic Silohette match, he noted everyone "spotting" various things to shoot at, the day before the match. After everyone else left, he went down to the impact area, and moved all the "marks" :-) He told me this himself.

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    Jerry was using a 9mm revolver. the .45 shooting, my guy was about 30 yds to the right of my line of fire, and the gun was in a machine rest. He was just standing behind a big tree. You'd be in more danger just riding a motorcycle, or driving you car on snow/ice.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cruisewitro
    Top Bottom