Jindal vetoes pay raise!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richierich

RichieRich
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    NoLa
    He made a deal with the devil (the legislature) and got burnt. You pass my bill (word is that it was the school voucher program. Hard to belive that he almost trashed his career over 1,500 kids going to private versus public school) and I won't veto your pay raise.

Art

I know this if OT but you brought it up. That whole voucher crap is one of the most retarded things as of yet. The City Wide Access crap completely screwed what N.O. had for decent public schools now they are trying to kill a private education. Now i was publicly educated, in what used to be known as a Magnet School, Karr and Franklin were the only 2 in the city i think, which meant you had to test to get in, all be it was not a hard test. But i managed a 30 on my ACT's and a 99% on my ASVAB. Now the CWA took away any testing and any fool can get in. I've visited my old high school from time to time, and now its just over run with a pitiful student body. I really feel for the students who want to be there. Same will happen with private schools. They will let in the trash that is there with no intention to learn and the rest of the student body will suffer.

These are the same morons who can not pass the LEAP test. If you have never seen this test its an utter joke. You could guess or draw pictures on the scantron and still pass. Are there some exceptions? Sure there are but i bet 1 in a 1000 of those exceptions would get a voucher.

Sorry for the rant dont even get me started on scholarships for 40k going to 1.2 gpa students and 3.5 + gpa students being forced to go to state or other local universities because their parents are not tards drawing welfare and foodstamps.

--Richie

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I didn't read the entire thread, so this may have already been said. But here goes:

Jindal isn't NEARLY as smart as we've been lead to believe.

1. If he were smart, he'd have known beforehand the magnitude of the firestorm that was going to erupt over the pay raises.

2. Knowing the flack he was going to receive, he should have stepped up and vetoed the raise BEFORE all the complaints and recall petitions.

Crap. If you're gonna alienate all the legislators, at least jump in early and get credit from the voters. The way he did it, he has the legislature AND the voters mad at him. All he did was cave in to the pressure......and end up looking like a wuss.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I didn't read the entire thread, so this may have already been said. But here goes:

1. If he were smart, he'd have known beforehand the magnitude of the firestorm that was going to erupt over the pay raises.

2. Knowing the flack he was going to receive, he should have stepped up and vetoed the raise BEFORE all the complaints and recall petitions.

Crap. If you're gonna alienate all the legislators, at least jump in early and get credit from the voters. The way he did it, he has the legislature AND the voters mad at him. All he did was cave in to the pressure......and end up looking like a wuss.

+1

Art

TheWho

My Generation
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Okay making $35k a year for a powerful part time gig isn't bad. Why double your salary to make MORE than the U.S. Congress?!

Who is this Ann Duplessis anyway?

I'd say vote her out....wished I still lived in the Big Easy.

me 2 cents...

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006

I'd have to disagree with this arguement. He is just a politician trying to do whats right in a system stacked against him. He can't slam the door on the legislators without consequences. I think he was seeing how they weathered the storm and he was hoping they would change their money grubbing plan.

Good for him for listening to the voters and living up to his word. That's rare in any politician. Remember he has to get his agenda through these greedy legislators. This guy seems to be the real deal and he needs our support more than ever.

I just can't get over it. A 200% self apointed pay raise with automatic inreases And a perdiem of $138/day when in session. Redicku-lousy!

When you look at what cops and FF's etc get paid for 'real' work thats F'n insane. I think they were self congradulating, arrogant and greedy. All things we want OUT of La politics.

JMHO
    Back to my cell.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I'd have to disagree with this arguement. He is just a politician trying to do whats right in a system stacked against him. He can't slam the door on the legislators without consequences. I think he was seeing how they weathered the storm and he was hoping they would change their money grubbing plan.

Good for him for listening to the voters and living up to his word. That's rare in any politician. Remember he has to get his agenda through these greedy legislators. This guy seems to be the real deal and he needs our support more than ever.

I just can't get over it. A 200% self apointed pay raise with automatic inreases And a perdiem of $138/day when in session. Redicku-lousy!

When you look at what cops and FF's etc get paid for 'real' work thats F'n insane. I think they were self congradulating, arrogant and greedy. All things we want OUT of La politics.

JMHO
    Back to my cell.

That's a lot of Ruth's Chris

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    When Bobby initially stated he would not veto a legislative pay raise did he know how significant the raise would be? :confused:

How could he not.

When he said he would not veto it, that was a big dissapointment. That man is a true believer in Freedom. I'm cutting him a Lot of slack on this, his first major conflict, because of his words on the Constitution.

But I am paying closer attention from now on.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Every man makes mistakes. At least Bobby actually corrected himself before anything actually happened, unlike any other politician. How anyone could discount everything else the man has done and is doing for our state over this one corrected mistake is beyond me.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Dear Friends,

Today, I vetoed the legislature’s bill to increase their pay, S.B. 672.

I have opposed this pay from the very beginning. A doubling of legislative pay that takes effect prior to the next election is clearly excessive and is bad policy. This bill would also have set up a system to give legislators automatic pay raises in the future without additional legislative votes, which provides an unacceptable level of accountability.

I clearly made a mistake by telling the legislature that I would allow them to handle their own affairs, and as with all mistakes, you can either correct them or compound them. I chose to correct my mistake by vetoing this bill.

I had previously stated that I would let this bill become law without my signature because I did not want to give legislators any excuse to slow down the momentum of our reform movement here in Louisiana. It turns out this is an unsustainable position. I have come to realize that the reforms I have been fighting for are simply incompatible with this legislative pay raise. The bottom line is that allowing this excessive legislative pay raise to become law would so significantly undercut our reform agenda, and so significantly diminish the people’s confidence in their own government, that I could not let it become law. So, I have vetoed the bill.

I am looking forward to tackling the many challenges facing our state…there are roads to build, jobs to create, business to open, and kids to educate.

I want to thank you, and all the citizens of Louisiana, who have become so vocal on this issue and so involved in the process, and ask you to stay involved. There is a lot more to do. Don’t tune out or stop paying attention to the political process now. This government belongs to you; it is your business. I’m going to need your help.

Sincerely, Governor Bobby Jindal

Last edited:

Papercut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2008
    The legislators already have too much money to play with. Just this session alone there have been at least 10 parties for the legislators @ the Camelot Club. Although Im not too sure on how much money was spent at each party, but each party had a drinking package that alone costs $3k, plus food and other costs. Its sad when you already have an $80k+/year job and then you want to make the same amount for a part time job.

Toby

bah
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2007
    CocoDrie Ferry
    Every man makes mistakes. At least Bobby actually corrected himself before anything actually happened, unlike any other politician. How anyone could discount everything else the man has done and is doing for our state over this one corrected mistake is beyond me.

+1
    let's aim our anger at the members of congress who deserve it

Top Bottom