Jindal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phaetos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    So, Phaetos, is your vehicle worth more than $10K? Anybody in your family? You can't buy a Neon for under that now. So when you get hit by someone with only 10/20/10 and the other insurance company only has $10K for your $23K vehicle (or $5K if its a 3 car accident?) you're going to have to pay your collision deductible and file a claim through your insurance company. They'll try to get some of your deductible back for you from that low cost auto insurer, eventually. What's your deductible, $500? That money could have been for your new 1911 or AR or .308... Your rates would be higher (I've seen an average of $10 to $15 per month) but when you get hit they'll be able to pay your claim. Its worth it. I'm not even going to get into the injuries side of this. Like I said, I'd be happy if they raised the property damage portion (increase of about $15 per six months for most people).
    Call your insurance agent and ask about how liability works and if you have enough. That's my professional insurance advice for the week...

At least they would have something to cover it and my insurance wouldn't be covering all of it. Rates here suck, period. I moved 6 miles closer to BR and my rates went up $50/month! Tell me that isn't BS.

Nurseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    If Jindal supports insurance companies over raising the limits to a more reasonable level and protecting the working mans second most expensive asset then he does not deserve our vote. What he should support is the funding for additional police dedicated to checks for insurance cards and require proof of insurance for all auto related transactions including person to person sales and auto repair IE you can't get your car fixed, new rims, tune up, park in a public garage downtown w/o current insurance. We have a sad tradition of make new laws because we do not enforce or fund our current laws with enough conviction. I would consider 1.5 X the cost of an entry level 4 door car as the minimum (20-30,000). I also have noticed that it is not always the poor who do not have car ins. many well off people do not think that the law applies to them as well ( I was hit by a attorney who had no ins.)

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Self insurance. You wanna drive an overpriced piece of depreciating steel and plasctic. Go ahead, just make sure you have it insured properly. I'll keep on driving my paid for 7 year old pickemup and carrying my minimum insurance.
    We as a state of free men need to declare civil war / open hunting season on the insurance industry and their cronies.
    Hopefully the next Gubner will have the balls to start wacking state agencies and jobs. We hve way too many of them. Blankp increased the state jobs by over 1100 in the last session, using "hurricane recovery" as her excuse.
    Freakin' $33 billion state budget for 4 million people. WTF!? They went and spent it all. KILL"EM ALL!!!!!!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Hey, I'm not saying that everyone needs to have enough coverage to pay for the neighbor's BMW and Escalade. Just enough to cover the Tercel. That's not unreasonable. Also, a few companies (like Progressive) are sending out a letter when you hit one of their client's cars and don't have enough coverage. It says the car was worth $15K, you had $10K in coverage, you owe us $5K, payable in full or in monthly installments of $300 per month. I certainly don't want to pay another car note!

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    The issue isn't property damage (PD). That's the least of everyone's concern. At issue is bodily injury (BI). If you have a 20k policy and you are injured to such a degree where there policy is maxed and your policy has no first party provisions in place, how will your treatment be taken care of? Will your health insurance cover it? Nope. That means that you need to treat at a hospital and pay out of your own pocket OR the government will cover it. One of the largest reasons for personal bankruptcy in this country is due to medical bills. Scubasteve, you say the state needs to be free of all the insurance cronies; well, let's say you are hit by a drunk driver in a tercel with only minimal policy limits and you are put in a coma. You have minimal policy limits as well. How do you now plan to pay the hospital for the $250,000 in medical bills you now owe? That's why I carry a 100/300 policy.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I was avoiding the injury side of this issue. What actually happens if you get hurt in an auto accident your health pays, you pay your co-pay, deductible, and prescriptions. Then you bring your insurance company the out of pocket bills. They pay from your medical payments coverage (assuming you carry some) or liability (if its been determined yet) or uninsured motorist (if that comes into play). Eventually your health carrier presents the bill to your car insurance carrier and they pay out whatever is left. Pain and suffering is what really complicates the problem.
    If the state would standardize the payments for injuries things would improve significantly. For example, $500 for a minor fracture, $2000 for a back strain, $300 per physical therapy session, etc. That would remove the need for attorneys to handle these injury claims...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    This could be easily handled by the LA insurnace commision as a claims procedures memo. It could be handled quietly and easily. They could average the payouts for the last 2 years on different types of accident injuries state wide which would provide a fair settlement sum. It wouldn't eliminate the payouts to attorneys, but would simplify things. The attorneys shouldn't object because it would be fair.
    I saw an interesting statistic a while back. People in LA have more extensive diagnosis for injuries for the same amount and types of vehicle damage than anywhere else in the US... Are we more fragile here than elsewhere in the US? Maybe its the humidity.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Raising the insurance limits would be a waste of time when there are tens of thousands of drivers without insurance to begin with. Raising the limits would mean that many more people going without.

Also it would probably make insurance that much more expensive. No thanks.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If it makes you feel any better, we consider driving on a suspended license a major violation (like a dwi, counts 5 years instead of 3, big insurance cost increase if we'll even write it).
    This again brings up the illegal alien problem. I'm hearing from Kenner cops they are being told to only arrest for felonies, let the rest go, since they won't deport for midemeanors. Is this true state wide? I've had several clients hit by illegals where they flee the scene. Guess who pays for that... It should be legal to open fire on a car leaving the scene of an accident (as well as having rap music too loud- I've always wanted to toss a flashbang into one of those cars!)

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    LSP, used to be that you were one of the top three people on the boards I went to that aggravated me, but I don't remember you doing that in a long time. Now I usually notice helpful posts from you. Right on. Now, if we could get you to stop bad-mouthing my home State all the time, maybe we could go shooting. :D

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I am all for agreeing to disagree. The problems on GT came in because I (and others on that thread) felt like you were being very disrespectful. I treat people with respect unless they just won't allow me to. I am all for us being able to have rational discussion.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I OC every day (I also ccw in select areas for specific reasons).

I have never had the slightest problem, but I have managed to start conversations with several people because of it and get people plugged in to the shooting community and spread awareness of LA Carry and our new range (Long Range Alley) and other such topics.

The threats are largely phantom menaces, in my experience. The benfits are tangible and frequent.

I am not trying to argue, just point out that I am not trying to "wrap myself in the flag and whine about the Constitution," as you put it.

I know we cannot agree. I was hoping we could 'agree to disagree.'

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Personally, I wish they would have just made concealed carry legal without a permit assuming you are legally capable of owning a firearm. I don't like the hassle of reapplying and paying every few years for something that the states don't have the right to regulate in the first place. Criminals are going to carry whether its legal or not. I don't like being identified as a gun owner publicly. I think the shooting test they administered was a joke. I think the range was 10' at a man sized stationary target slow fire. That only proves that you can operate a firearm.
    I can see plusses and minuses to legalizing open carry. Open carry in New Orleans would be interesting... I know I'd hate to be a road cop the day after that took effect!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Instead of 'Legal' I should have said 'acceptable'.

If you want to see how legal it is, try getting on the St Charles Ave streetcar with a 1911 on your hip...

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Some people are not able to do these kinds of things because of family/work/other responsibilities, but for the right person, if you did it right so that you had evidence/witnesses- you could get paid quite well for being falsely arrested for open carrying. It is ok to do that which is legal/moral. NO residents should stand up to corrupt law enforcement. I open carry in Metro Shreveport/Bossier every day. Cops see me. I don't have problems. If your area does- it is up to those who live there to fix that. It is only going to get worse on it's own. It is important to have witnesses/evidence, though. There was a man falsely arrested last month for open carrying in BR- the cops lied on the report and said he was carrying concealed. You want to avoid it being your word against a good-ole-boy's in LA.

Top Bottom