John Bels first business driven out.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The OD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Lafayette area
    Bell helicopters has pulled production of the new Bell 505 from the new facility in Lafayette La and moved it to Canada after John Bel tried to reneg on tax credits given for the new manufacturing facility in Lafayette. He personally went to the Bell facility to announce to them that he would tax them going forward with a higher than agreed upon rate. Within 48 hours of his visit the announcement on the move was made. Bell helicopters has a 24 month backlog of orders for the new helicopter. Thanks Jon Bel, say good bye to those jobs!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Lafayette is already hurting from the soul selling to gas and oil too!

Generally speaking, democrats are lying sacks of ****. But in fairness to the Bug; he did tell everyone he was going to raise taxes BEFORE he was elected!

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    However, that said; I still believe Edwards looks like a Bug, and is a sack of ****! ;)

7coicn5ikmott995pemv.jpg

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Our movie industry is also leaving since tax credits were reduced.
    Way to go. We'd rather have 100% of nothing.

That one can be debated! I have never seen or talked to anyone that ever directly benefitted or could quantify and relate it to that industry, from any of that in their respective businesses. There was a lot of cronyism going on with that, and those Hollywood douches were still bringing a lot of their preferred vendors (whether legitimate or not), over here with them from California when they were supposed to bring opportunities to local businesses and workers.

I am certain there ARE some examples; but I believe the numbers show they were definitely taking more than they were contributing.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    That one can be debated! I have never seen or talked to anyone that ever directly benefitted or could quantify and relate it to that industry, from any of that in their respective businesses. There was a lot of cronyism going on with that, and those Hollywood douches were still bringing a lot of their preferred vendors (whether legitimate or not), over here with them from California when they were supposed to bring opportunities to local businesses and workers.

I am certain there ARE some examples; but I believe the numbers show they were definitely taking more than they were contributing.

The company I work for directly benefited from that industry. Our profit on rental eq relating to just production companies in the area is down almost 50k from the same time last year. And to add we are one of many that provide the same services to production companies. There is quite the competition.

Last edited:

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    And besides the economic effect is hard to quantify. Undoubtedly it hurts workers. I saw many of the same faces at multiple productions that were people from here that worked from production to production. Not only that, they hired catering companies daily to feed the actors and workforce. Also there are many office eq distributors, ie desks, cubicles, networking eq, Copiers/printer, etc that are feeling the effects that invested in product to rent that now sits.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    And from working with production companies on a daily basis over the last few years I can say most of the "cronyism" has to do with the fact that many services such as drivers and setup people have to be people from the teamsters. They all wear jackets and shirts that how I know they are teamsters. Other than that many services they rely on is sourced locally. Also go down to richard st and constance st downtown. People have made huge investment building office space and studios. Also a large portion of the old NASA facility was rented out to movie productions. Not any longer.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Emporer this I do not believe you said. You must live in a sea conch deep under water if this is true.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    And also: https://www.businessreport.com/article/bell-helicopter-moving-505-jet-ranger-x-manufacturing-facility-lafayette-canada

Figured this was going to happen. I have worked in the rotorcraft industry for 35 years. Got a bit of feel for how things go.

Bell moved final assembly of all of their commercial rotorcraft line to Canada a long time ago. Reason is simple, the US liability laws. Moving to Canada means the final product is a Canadian manufactured product and falls under their rules. Canadian laws are much more strict there than they are here. Meaning if Joe Bob flies into a mountain and doesn't come out the other side then it's on Joe Bob. Can't blame the manufacturer on that. And yes there was a lawsuit in the fixed wing world where that exact thing happened and the manufacturer was sued because the aircraft didn't hold up being crashed into a mountain at 200kts. In Canada it's up to the plaintiff to prove the product is defective rather than the defendant proving it's not as in the US.

With the current global situation for commercial rotorcraft it is quite difficult to sell small turbine aircraft like the 505. The market is glutted with good used and relatively inexpensive aircraft such as the legacy Bell 206 line. However the global market is hot for medium and super medium rotorcraft. This is where the 525 comes in. State of the art with fly by wire controls. Will meet the latest certification standards by the FAA, EASA, and Transport Canada. Done right it will compete with the products from Airbus and Agusta/Westland.

Wish I could but I can't point the finger at JBE on this one. It appears strictly a business move on Bell Textron's part.

Last edited:

The OD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Lafayette area
    Bell Helicopter says it’s moving assembly of Jet Ranger X from Lafayette to Canada - The Advocate
    https://apple.news/AD1We6F1wNI-KGcd_rhS0iQ

Wrong. John Bel met with Bell in an attempt to squeeze them for tax credits back, and soon thereafter this announcement was made. Do your own research, I am not going to attempt to convince anyone here. Make up your own mind.

1. Bell has 24 months of back orders for the 505, all of that work will now happen in Canada.

2. A small amount of 525 work will now be done in Lafayette because Bell has to meet minimal commitments to Louisiana to avoid being sued.

3. About 35-45 people will now work short term in Lafayette. Not the original 120-150 as planned. (Those will be Canadian jobs)

4. Jon Bel bluffed and lost. Do your own DD and make up your own mind.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheMadKing504
    Top Bottom