Join the NRA, send 25 bucks in now!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    As much as I slammed them in the past, even I re-joined. When it comes to gun owner's rights, Ben Franklin said it best: "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    Much the same here, signed up again this morning after seeing the press conference, they may not be great, but we are mostly on the same side, still worried they will sell us out with a "compromise" though.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I am seriously considering rejoining. The only problem is, the NRA has already burned us in the past by compromising with the Congresscritters. They have been so bad that some say NRA stands for Negotiate Rights Away. I know we need a strong voice but I'm afraid that we will be thrown under the bus again. I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

J

jayd

I am seriously considering rejoining.........

we need a strong voice but I'm afraid that we will be thrown under the bus ... I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

Who else has more members, money and lobbying power then the NRA? :confused:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I am seriously considering rejoining. The only problem is, the NRA has already burned us in the past by compromising with the Congresscritters. They have been so bad that some say NRA stands for Negotiate Rights Away. I know we need a strong voice but I'm afraid that we will be thrown under the bus again. I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

I hear ya and was in the same boat as you last year. They have definitely been guilty of these things in the past, but it has been a while and I think they have been taking that criticism to heart. Lately they haven't just grown some teeth, they have grown some fangs. I am renewing this week and am preparing myself for the deluge of junk mail I will receive in return, but I'll be damned if they get my email address.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Here is reality. There will be winners and losers. Sometimes you negotiate today to prevent a worst case scenario.

It is chess, not checkers. The NRA isn't perfect but remember back to all the gnashing of teeth and vitriol against them for the "compromising" with the 1994 crime bill. 18 years later we are in better shape than we ever had been up until this shooting.

It is easy to chastise them from the peanut gallery, but sitting in a room deciding what positions you can and can't live with as legislators wait for to see whether your organization has a place at the table puts things in a whole different perspective. It has for me working with the LSA and I personally think that with the benefit of hindsight - the NRA has done a fantastic job. I can forgive them for not being perfect (I'm not either) and I can forgive them for being wary of losing ALL the marbles for the sake of general principle.

The NRA has successfully lived to fight another day and had a longer term vision. The REAL bottom line is if you want them to negotiate from a position of strength, BECOME A MEMBER. If HALF the gun owners in the US were members, NO ONE WOULD DARE TRY TO TAKE THEM AWAY.
    I have the same nervousness about them as Steve does.

Here's what I do know, though; politicians fear losing NRA grade/support. Even when I don't like the NRA, I'll still support them. I'll criticize them /as a member/ when appropriate, to keep them strong. There isn't a lobby out there I 100% agree with all the time.

Wayne LaPierre made a good speech Friday, on the whole, and played a good hand. I'll support that.

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    What a great deal. I have gotten 3 people, so far, to sign up for the first time with this promotion since I saw it tonight. I say we all use this, I'm sure, short lived, opportunity to get as many new members as we can get with it while it lasts. Heck, it's free and what do they have to lose? Besides, it's a great way to start a conversation on the subject of responsible gun ownership, self defense, and the shooting sports etc. etc. The reality is, whether we like it or not, that for a lot of folks, the news media is where they get their information and form their opinons on guns and gunowners and if they don't ever hear "our side," then that is all they will ever know, and more importantly, VOTE. Nothing like a free $25 gift card to help open the door. I'm not trying to be preachy or anything, it just seems to me to be a great opportunity to educate people on the truth, maybe gain some new NRA members, and if nothing else, counter some of the left wing, anti 2A garbage that bombards us constantly. I truly feel that if most rationale people were given the complete facts/truth etc., it'd be a no brainer to them which side would be better for them and their families. If they don't learn from us...

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I rejoined last week and forwarded the membership link to a couple of friends. As far as an NRA compromise, that may be unavoidable.

I had a friend who owns guns. He called me a few months back asking if we could shoot my AR one Saturday, he wanted to buy an AR or an AK and hadn't shot an AR yet. So we go, we shoot the AR and a bunch of his pistols. A few weeks later the Aurora CO shooting takes place then a week later I see him and ask if he bought an AR yet. He says no and he won't because he doesn't think people should own AKs or ARs. Another guy I work with (Hates democrats) owns pistols and hunting rifles that he inherited, we were talking and he could live with a ban on "assault weapons". He's quick to say it won't make a difference but he's OK with it. I gave the usual counter arguements but here's 2 politically conservative gun owners who won't be too upset if Congress bans ARs & AKs because they don't want one. We're all passionate against the Ban and there's a group on the left just big and just as passionate in favor of a Ban. The rest of america is in the middle and Adan Lanza pushed them towards the Left. Can this middle group be pushed back towards our view? I think to overcome the deaths of 20 six year old kids it will take more than an arguement that nothing needs to change. Diane Feinstein's bill wiil be a nightmare for gunowners. I'm predicting a ban on 100 different weapons with registration and annual ownership fees for the ones already owned, a tax an all ammo and all types of guns to fund mental health, serious changes to person to person sales. The NRA could dig in their heels oppose the whole thing or they could hammer out a compromise. If the bill doesn't pass Obama does a ban a la Clinton and the Dems will have a field day in the next election against Republicans who voted against the bill. If the Republicans lose the House in 2 years then the Ban Bill comes back and gets passed.

Last edited:

Ken3030

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Thanks for the link, first time NRA member now. I dont completely agree with them either but they are law abiding gun owners biggest voice in Washington. I will pass that link along.

Top Bottom