Jr ROTC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I have spent a month going back and forth trying to situate our daughter in regards to PE. The doc says no go. The school says that's fine, she'll dress out and study. No, no. You don't understand, All Year.

No can do to take PE next year.... She'll be with girls a year younger than her. *gasp* so I have repeatedly said if a PE teacher says do something, say NO... I'll handle the fall out.

Tonight was open house. She didn't even sign up for PE! Hello?! When was I going to hear about this?

The good news, I'm thrilled she's taking this class. I did for two years and the classroom educatin was awesome.

The bad news. I have to go back to her doc and her therapist to determine if marching and pivoting is ok in a couple months... No PT, got it. But the question is "marching".

Girlchild, you couldn't think to mention this??? :doh:

The good news again, her ROTC instructor counted five times, telling her to don't do what she's not supposed to. He'll take care of the peer pressure. And she'll be the Colonel's lackey. Filing papers, writing scores, pencil pushing during PT.

There's also a trip to Germany and Austria the high school students take in the summer. Her eyes kind of got big. So that's a maybe. Heck, I'd like to take that one.

Oh wow. I have a high schooler. :eek3: they're expensive!

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Marching is just fancy walking.

I don't think girls get to carry rifles, and a lot of high schools only have fake plastic rifles these days anyway.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Back in my JROTC days... 1994 - 1998 The Drill Team, which is extracurricular, used decommissioned m1's if I'm not mistaken. Then there's the Color Guard, extracurricular, that didn't twirl the rifles, just carried right and left shoulder, presented arms, parade rest and such. Could also carry either the state flag or the US flag. Then there's the Rifle team, also extracurricular, and they used Feinwerkbau FWB 300 pellet rifles in the prone, kneeling and standing position. I was on the Rifle team and was a pretty good shot. I even earned several medals and awards during the local competitions.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    JROTC was my favorite part of highschool. I too used it to dodge PE, but I found that I loved marching so much that I joined the Color Guard and I looked damn good in Airforce blues. All she will need is some high quality insoles for the dress shoes and she will be fine. Like others have said, marching is just fancy walking and is a low stress activity (physically).

I was in '99-'02 and we had the plastic rifles that weighed maybe 4 or 5 pounds.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2011
    I did NJROTC in highschool. It was alot of fun and an overall good experience. This was also only two years ago and the people in charge are generally nice and helpful. She should enjoy it.

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    Showing my age. Back in Shreveport in the day (1974-76) we used M-14s for our drill weapons. Yep, good old M-14s. I was on the drill team so our M-14s were the envy of the rest of the corps. Ours had blond wood (birch) stocks that we used wood bleach on to get even lighter and white parade slings. The rest were a mix of plastic stock or walnut. Our rifle team shot Mossberg or Remington (513s). I still have a dime that I shot a hole through at 50 feet on our indoor range. During the summer of my sophmore year the Army came and took away our M-14s. The booster parents pitched in and bought a couple crates of 1903A3 parade rifles that we had to de-cosmoline, scrap and sand the stocks, and learn a whole new manual of arms for. The ROTC program helped me hone shooting skills, boot polishing skills, brass polishing skills, marching skills, compass skills. (because chicks dig guys with skills.....). Commissioned after my college ROTC program into the USARMY Reserves/guard. Those skills learned in JROTC gave me a little edge over cadets and then officers later that didn't have any prior exposure to military.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    If she sticks with it she'll make good friends.

301141_2201882201595_4442185_n.jpg

There I am far bottom right. Cadet 2nd Lieutenant.

Cadets in Class A uniform were Color Guard. Class B uniform cadets were Drill Team and Class C were Rifle Team.

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    If she sticks with it she'll make good friends.

301141_2201882201595_4442185_n.jpg

There I am far bottom right. Cadet 2nd Lieutenant.

Cadets in Class A uniform were Color Guard. Class B uniform cadets were Drill Team and Class C were Rifle Team.

Look like a group we marched with in a couple of parades.

swood

dood
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    West Monroe
    My daugther was in 3 years of JROTC...she did it initially to get out of PE. Liked it and ended up on Staff doing the Color Guard/Honor Guard, Drill Team and various Flag and POW Ceremonies. She didn't have to do all of that but wanted to. PT was only one day a week but she normally assisted the Colonel or Sarge. The JROTC here was pretty laid back but could get very busy at times.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Showing my age. Back in Shreveport in the day (1974-76) we used M-14s for our drill weapons. Yep, good old M-14s. I was on the drill team so our M-14s were the envy of the rest of the corps. Ours had blond wood (birch) stocks that we used wood bleach on to get even lighter and white parade slings. The rest were a mix of plastic stock or walnut. Our rifle team shot Mossberg or Remington (513s). I still have a dime that I shot a hole through at 50 feet on our indoor range. During the summer of my sophmore year the Army came and took away our M-14s. The booster parents pitched in and bought a couple crates of 1903A3 parade rifles that we had to de-cosmoline, scrap and sand the stocks, and learn a whole new manual of arms for. The ROTC program helped me hone shooting skills, boot polishing skills, brass polishing skills, marching skills, compass skills. (because chicks dig guys with skills.....). Commissioned after my college ROTC program into the USARMY Reserves/guard. Those skills learned in JROTC gave me a little edge over cadets and then officers later that didn't have any prior exposure to military.

Our M14's all got flooded in Katrina, and I believe got replaced with M1's.

We must have broken dozens of M14 stocks, but most of them were fiberglass since we only busted out the wood stocks for competition. Still, even the fiberglass stocks are expensive from what I gather. . . now I know why the colonel was always pissed. :D

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Back in my JROTC days... 1994 - 1998 The Drill Team, which is extracurricular, used decommissioned m1's if I'm not mistaken. Then there's the Color Guard, extracurricular, that didn't twirl the rifles, just carried right and left shoulder, presented arms, parade rest and such. Could also carry either the state flag or the US flag. Then there's the Rifle team, also extracurricular, and they used Feinwerkbau FWB 300 pellet rifles in the prone, kneeling and standing position. I was on the Rifle team and was a pretty good shot. I even earned several medals and awards during the local competitions.

What highschool? We may have overlapped a little. 91-95 for me.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky

I went to Byrd one year, '53-54 and was in the ROTC band. They made we freshman tuba players SSGT for hauling all that weight. We had Ike jackets and I believe the regular non-band units had M1s w/o firing pins.

We used '03s in the Pershing Rifles in college and the manual of arms was the same as with the M1. The '03 was easier to drill with. Center of gravity was closer to the middle. I fired the M14 only once while on active duty.
    :ohreally:

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I have spent a month going back and forth trying to situate our daughter in regards to PE. The doc says no go. The school says that's fine, she'll dress out and study. No, no. You don't understand, All Year.

No can do to take PE next year.... She'll be with girls a year younger than her. *gasp* so I have repeatedly said if a PE teacher says do something, say NO... I'll handle the fall out.

Tonight was open house. She didn't even sign up for PE! Hello?! When was I going to hear about this?

The good news, I'm thrilled she's taking this class. I did for two years and the classroom educatin was awesome.

The bad news. I have to go back to her doc and her therapist to determine if marching and pivoting is ok in a couple months... No PT, got it. But the question is "marching".

Girlchild, you couldn't think to mention this??? :doh:

The good news again, her ROTC instructor counted five times, telling her to don't do what she's not supposed to. He'll take care of the peer pressure. And she'll be the Colonel's lackey. Filing papers, writing scores, pencil pushing during PT.

There's also a trip to Germany and Austria the high school students take in the summer. Her eyes kind of got big. So that's a maybe. Heck, I'd like to take that one.

Well, the ROTC instructor sounds more reasonable than the school regarding her situation. If she prefers ROTC it's really a no-brainer. I spent three years of high school in AFJROTC and I probably learned more there that ended up helping me down the road than in all of my other classes combined.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville

Just wait, EVERYTHING costs too much from this point on. I just had one graduate last year (now starting college) and another is a senior this year. There's always extra money needed for something. At least my youngest is a couple of years away from all that.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Well, the ROTC instructor sounds more reasonable than the school regarding her situation. If she prefers ROTC it's really a no-brainer. I spent three years of high school in AFJROTC and I probably learned more there that ended up helping me down the road than in all of my other classes combined.

I didn't quite understand the school. ROTC makes sense because not every day is PT and she'll learn quite a bit. I'm cool with it.

But when I thought she was enrolled in PE, I couldn't understand why make her dress out, do homework and not participate? Let her take another class she'll need ANYWAY, and we'll pick up PE during another elective slot next year. Oh no. Couldn't do that. She'd be with underclassmen.

HOWEVER!!!!!! She's the single freshmen in a room full of upperclassmen during Speech class. What the hell?! How does that even make sense?

Whatever. But yeah. It worked out. I'm sure she'll be able to participate in the formation part in a couple months. Her instructor had physical therapy on his shoulder using Abi's current therapist so we're golden. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom