Judge orders release of 7 accused of rape, murder, armed robbery; more to come?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/04/orleans_judge_halts_prosecutio.html

These 7 have been in jail for a long time awaiting trial, most for a year. The public defender's office has been complaining about lack of funding, and Judge Hunter is giving the state 10 days to appeal or release these guys.

There are several others that the ACLU is representing, including a guy facing Vehicular Homicide that I am a witness against. My guy was on parole for armed robbery.

I wonder if I should be worried.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Hunter is a poor excuse for a judge. He is in the pockets of bondsman and a few defense attorneys. He is no friend to LE as well.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Don't want violent individuals on the street, but first priority to avoiding violation of constitutionally protected rights

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I get the right to a speedy trial thing. We take too long beause we don't have enough judges and DA's. OTOH, we wouldn't need so many if the ones we arrested were kept in jail. The system is full of repeat offenders...

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Don't want violent individuals on the street, but first priority to avoiding violation of constitutionally protected rights

This^

All constitutional rights must always be protected.
    Either give them a trial, or let them go. Preferably a trial and if convicted a very long, hard sentence.
    At least some of the blame lies with the prosecutor for someone in jail 3 years without a trial.

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    These are career felons. They have already lost their 2nd Amendment rights. We should not be concerned with the 6th Amendment here. The 2nd Amendment is disposable while the 6th Amendment is sacred?
    In any case, they are too dangerous is be set free. Jail is the best thing for everyone here. They will end up dead or go back to jail and more innocent people will be harmed. Perhaps someone with PTSD will be forced to go through the mental anguish of shooting one of them. It is unfair to for an innocent person to be forced to kill someone in self-defense.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    These are career felons. They have already lost their 2nd Amendment rights. We should not be concerned with the 6th Amendment here. The 2nd Amendment is disposable while the 6th Amendment is sacred?

Your logic is sound, but as long as there are America haters in power anywhere, they will continue to put an asterisk on the 2nd Amendment which allows it to be battered and torn down. In this screwed up country, the 2nd Amendment is being portrayed as a symbol of this phony "white privilege" movement these dumbasses are pushing now. They are purposefully trying to make it a wedge issue between traditional white Americans and blacks. In simpler terms, democrats vs republicans. Sad thing is, black Americans should be utterly incensed that phony liberal douches are deciding which Constitutional Rights are the ones they should want or acknowledge.

Last edited:

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    In any case, they are too dangerous is be set free. Jail is the best thing for everyone here. They will end up dead or go back to jail and more innocent people will be harmed. Perhaps someone with PTSD will be forced to go through the mental anguish of shooting one of them. It is unfair to for an innocent person to be forced to kill someone in self-defense.

Look man, I understand the sentiment. I'm in healthcare. You help a woman give birth to her 9th kid she doesn't care for and she's not going to take care of, it's a rational sentiment to think "while we're in here, we should just tie her rubes, benefit to society". But that's assault, you lose your license, you get sued for a ton of money, go bankrupt, go to jail. These individuals, whether repeat offenders or not, have served their time. Ya, intuition says they're probably guilty. It doesn't matter. You don't stick them in jail indefinitely awaiting trial without appointed counsel. It drives me absolutely up the wall when people are hurrah pro-2A and don't give a crap about other protections afforded by the Constitution

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Look man, I understand the sentiment. I'm in healthcare. You help a woman give birth to her 9th kid she doesn't care for and she's not going to take care of, it's a rational sentiment to think "while we're in here, we should just tie her rubes, benefit to society". But that's assault, you lose your license, you get sued for a ton of money, go bankrupt, go to jail. These individuals, whether repeat offenders or not, have served their time. Ya, intuition says they're probably guilty. It doesn't matter. You don't stick them in jail indefinitely awaiting trial without appointed counsel. It drives me absolutely up the wall when people are hurrah pro-2A and don't give a crap about other protections afforded by the Constitution

Correct!

Languishing in jail because you are poor and our public defense system is overwhelmed is not cool! Whether you deserve it or not. But there is a more ominous cloud on the horizon. This is a portent of things to come!

As for a woman having a ninth kid with no intent of caring for it; I was thinking of a word that rhymes with "Toothanasia!" :mamoru:

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I am familiar with this. These individuals are not poor. I have a New Democrat tenant with 7 children and 32 years old. 4 of the children have a DISABILITY and receive $900 per month each. The other 3 she gets $1250 per month in child support. She gets $1500 per month with a housing allowance. She gets $1400 per month in food assistance. They all get free medical and better medical than me that I pay through the nose for and is worth $750 each per month. Together they receive over $100,000 per year. IS THAT POOR?

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I get the right to a speedy trial thing. We take too long beause we don't have enough judges and DA's. OTOH, we wouldn't need so many if the ones we arrested were kept in jail. The system is full of repeat offenders...

The revolving door, the liberal judges putting these vermin back on the street to continue their assault on society is exactly the reason the system is almost off the rails.. These repeat offenders/ predators are a huge plague and need to be_______ . Well you know the rest.

Top Bottom