Judge Says Guillotine 'Probably Best' for Executions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    The 1792 design is the quote/unquote "Guillotine".
    The models before that were similar but not of the same design.

The 1792 design, tweeked as the year went by
    was very successful and like I said, there is no
    "thorough history of botched beheadings".

It's success record and longevity of use however
    is well documented.

if by "success record" you mean that everyone that laid in one eventually died, you are correct.

and you're wrong on a few points (not that it matters), but mostly that the designs were almost identical- just lacking restraints and the heavier blade. The "Lershin? (memory...) added the securing of the head in 1830 - before then a "photographer" held the persons head until it uh, came loose.

and it was actually "Guillotin" after the Dr. that legislated its use- the "e" didn't come for another 125 years, and was a separate design. "technically"

My point is that it wasn't without its errors because nothing made and operated by man ever is. Combine that with the technology of their day and you realize pretty quickly that a bullet or injection would be a welcome way out of this world.

and yes, the pos's that get the needle get it too easy. falling asleep isnt punishment.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Success as in the head came off as designed
    better than any other method of execution to that date.

That (is) why it was deemed to be used, b/c of it's success
    in swiftly killing the intended person.

Thus being humane (b/c it was swift) it's wide spread use exploded
    ....b/c of how successful it was.

It's success is the backbone of why mechanical decapitation became law.

Not sure why that's hard for you to admit.

There is no
    "thorough history of botched beheadings"
    to speak about from the early 1792 machines forward.

Point being, the guillotine was only done away with
    b/c Capital Punishment was done away with.
    Not b/c it didn't work well as you said.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Success as in the head came off as designed
    better than any other method of execution to that date.

That (is) why it was deemed to be used, b/c of it's success
    in swiftly killing the intended person.

Thus being humane (b/c it was swift) it's wide spread use exploded
    ....b/c of how successful it was.

It's success is the backbone of why mechanical decapitation became law.

Not sure why that's hard for you to admit.

There is no
    "thorough history of botched beheadings"
    to speak about from the early 1792 machines forward.

Point being, the guillotine was only done away with
    b/c Capital Punishment was done away with.
    Not b/c it didn't work well as you said.

don't know what youre arguing at this point. is it the term "historically" or the fact that you think its man's first perfect invention and always operated as intended? Close google and talk to someone that's studied history, professionally. The guillotin was used for a century before it was deemed "successful"- and in those days that was like 3 generations.

Hitman says the boat never sinks.

Wabbit says boats in 1700 sank all the time, and that boats in 1800 were better, but still sunk.

Hitman says there's no proof of a civilian boat sinking in 1800 resulting in death, so that its BS. Boats are perfect and always worked as intended. In fact they are the absolute best method of transportation ever used, and everyone always preferred boats from the day they were invented. To argue otherwise is just ridiculous.

Yes, France stopped using the guillotin in 1976? and banned capital punishment in 1981. Is that what you wanted to hear? Well England and Spain switched to hanging 50 years prior... whats your point?

not sure whether to think this conversation has been a tragedy or a comedy, but will smile anyway :)

and uh, bring back hangings on the court house lawn. especially for murderers, rapists, and 5th offense DUI's.

- - - Updated - - -

I think a good log splitter would double duty this when not making split firewood ?

thats actually brilliant.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I'm not arguing. I've made my point.

the guillotine has a thorough history of botched beheadings,

it uh, didn't take long for them to say "we need a better way"

Neither statement you made is true for what we knew of about the Guillotine
    used just 40 years ago when the country using it stopped.

It was integrated on the sole basis for it's success
    and it only stopped being used b/c Capital Punishment was done away with.

So yea....nothing more to see here I guess.

EDIT
    ...and for the record, you've grossly misinterpreted my point with
    whatever kind of boat analogy you attempted to use there.
    The Guillotine was being used successfully just 40 years ago.
    I see no reason to discuss the statistics of it's effectiveness
    in it's infancy even though by all accounts, it was indeed successful.

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Like anything...I'm guessing that the early models did have botched executions.

That said, since they were used up until 1976...they probably were perfected by then.

I'm also guessing that during the last 50 years of use...each and every one of those executions went perfectly.

I have to side with the Judge and Hitman here and say that the guillotine.... in this day and time, is a perfect killing machine.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Yep...Tbone is correct.

I just stumbled upon this Soviet era video. They chopped the head off of a dog. They then supplied the head with blood. There was a pump which recirculates the purified/oxygenated blood to the dog's head.

WARNING---The Video can be disturbing. It is a Soviet era science video. Brutal comes to mind.

Go to the 4:00 minute mark of the video...the dog's severed head responds to sound, smell and light.

another interesting link including the experiment mentioned in Tbone's earlier post. http://www.executedtoday.com/2008/06/28/1905-henri-languille-a-man-of-science/

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    http://www.executedtoday.com/2008/06/28/1905-henri-languille-a-man-of-science/
    This is from an interview with the doctor who studied it back in 1905
    At 5:30 a.m. this date in 1905, a murderer named Languille lost his head on the guillotine in Orleans.
    Some thirty seconds later, he finally lost his life — or so suggests the account of an eyewitness who conducted upon Languille’s head one of the most renowned execution experiments in history in pursuit of that timeless question whether a decapitated head survives.

Henri Languille’s execution.
    Dr. Beaurieux, if you please?
    I consider it essential for you to know that Languille displayed an extraordinary sang-froid and even courage from the moment when he was told, that his last hour had come, until the moment when he walked firmly to the scaffold. It may well be, in fact, that the conditions for observation, and consequently the phenomena, differ greatly according to whether the condemned persons retain all their sang-froid and are fully in control of themselves, or whether they are in such state of physical and mental prostration that they have to be carried to the place of execution, and are already half-dead, and as though paralysed by the appalling anguish of the fatal instant.
    The head fell on the severed surface of the neck and I did not therefor have to take it up in my hands, as all the newspapers have vied with each other in repeating; I was not obliged even to touch it in order to set it upright. Chance served me well for the observation, which I wished to make.
    Here, then, is what I was able to note immediately after the decapitation: the eyelids and lips of the guillotined man worked in irregularly rhythmic contractions for about five or six seconds. This phenomenon has been remarked by all those finding themselves in the same conditions as myself for observing what happens after the severing of the neck …
    I waited for several seconds. The spasmodic movements ceased. The face relaxed, the lids half closed on the eyeballs, leaving only the white of the conjunctiva visible, exactly as in the dying whom we have occasion to see every day in the exercise of our profession, or as in those just dead. It was then that I called in a strong, sharp voice: “Languille!” I saw the eyelids slowly lift up, without any spasmodic contractions –- I insist advisedly on this peculiarity –- but with an even movement, quite distinct and normal, such as happens in everyday life, with people awakened or torn from their thoughts.
    Next Languille’s eyes very definitely fixed themselves on mine and the pupils focused themselves. I was not, then, dealing with the sort of vague dull look without any expression, that can be observed any day in dying people to whom one speaks: I was dealing with undeniably living eyes which were looking at me. After several seconds, the eyelids closed again, slowly and evenly, and the head took on the same appearance as it had had before I called out.
    It was at that point that I called out again and, once more, without any spasm, slowly, the eyelids lifted and undeniably living eyes fixed themselves on mine with perhaps even more penetration than the first time. The there was a further closing of the eyelids, but now less complete. I attempted the effect of a third call; there was no further movement -– and the eyes took on the glazed look which they have in the dead.
    I have just recounted to you with rigorous exactness what I was able to observe. The whole thing had lasted twenty-five to thirty seconds.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    The Nazi's used the guillotine extensively just seventy years ago. They were apparently satisfied with their performance. If they wanted to induce suffering they opted for hanging with piano wire. Such was the fate of many of the '44 bomb plot conspirators.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    That video gave me chills.

Look, I Realize things like this had to be performed to move medicine where it is today.
    But the though of the medical experiments that took place in basements must have been some sick **** !
    I mean, just who looked over at who and said, Hey Man, Ive got a Great Experiment we can try next.
    Go wake up Hump Back Crazy Larry, [ who is likely drunk sleeping in the sewer] and tell him you have some Candy for him.
    Throw this NET over him when he comes downstairs !

I hate to even bring up the though of what potential medical experiments the Nazis performed on their captives........................

Those victims would have welcomed the Guillotine

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    That video gave me chills.

Look, I Realize things like this had to be performed to move medicine where it is today.
    But the though of the medical experiments that took place in basements must have been some sick **** !
    I mean, just who looked over at who and said, Hey Man, Ive got a Great Experiment we can try next.
    Go wake up Hump Back Crazy Larry, [ who is likely drunk sleeping in the sewer] and tell him you have some Candy for him.
    Throw this NET over him when he comes downstairs !

I hate to even bring up the though of what potential medical experiments the Nazis performed on their captives........................

Yea...sorry about that. I'll put up a warning because that video was chilling

I had to turn it off at first. I looked at my pet...and just can't imagine the pain that poor dog was going through. But....that said, I think it proves the point that the head is still alive for a few seconds after the blade falls.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Feel free to use that Graphic Logo I use all the time.

I use it anytime I think anyone might need
    a second thought before pressing play or clicking the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

louis488

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    New Orleans
    personalty I think murders should be executed in the same manor they killed there victims and next of kin should be given the choice to be the executioner.

Top Bottom