Junk Silver

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    I fail to see what the density of the metal has to do with anything, or where rareity comes into the equation.
    Where I live camel **** is "rare", but that doesn't mean I want some, and exactly how many uses does a piece of precious metal have?
    You can't eat it or drive it, use it to bathe in or build a new shelter.
    You could use it to beat your enemy to death if it were big enough, but that would not be the prefered method, or you could use it to impress the lil woman but if she is cold and hungry and cranky as hell (which she prolly will be as we are talking about a WTSHTF scenario here) then she will most likely shut you off for a month for being a f/kin idiot.
    The whole point of trade at this point will be "you have something I want/need, and vice versa".....so yeah, I got plenty of ammo and you don't, but you just ripped off the local breadmaker and I'm starvin- so i'll give you 20 rnds of .223 for a loaf of bread.
    The "exchange medium" as you put it will come into play when the dust settles so to speak and sunlight once again filters through, as the thermonuclear winter begins to ebb, likely many decades after the catalyst that caused the situation has been forgotten.
    By then the herd will have been thinned, life giving neccesseties wil have become a little more available and commerce may ensue as the lucky capitalist desires none of your other "possessions"
    Until that point, you can put your shiny piece of metal where the sun don't shine, and don't dare come asking for my twinkies or beer.
    You ignore history. How many time has the world been destroied? Once, if you believe the bible, a few time if you believe in evolution. On thoes super rare points in time, gold and silver would have been fairly usless. Now how many time in history has there been a national crisis conserning the money supply. Looking at other countries, hundreds, thousands maybe? That is far more likely than a global event like you are thinking. Even WW3 would not cause PM to go to 0. Just read some history.

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    Density has a great deal to do with it. Simply put dense materials have a higher mass/volume ratio than others by definition. Would you rather carry around a couple bushels of wheat or a few silver coins for trade? If you dont know what other important roles precious metals play in our daily lives then I wont waste my time telling you.

You contradicted your own point on rarity. If everyone has cases of ammo why would the breadmaker sell you a loaf for only 20 rounds? Do you think that capitalism will somehow go away in your post apocaliptic world?

I would suggest doing some reading on precious metals investment before you perpetuate your ignorance on the subject.

Oh dear, i'm ignorant on the subject of precious metals, my bad, sue me.
    I am not ignorant on their uses or uselessness for bartering when NOBODY HAS ANY USE FOR A SILVER INGOT WHEN THEY ARE HUNGRY!!!!!.....good grief..lmao
    I would suggest you try reading comprehension or peter and jane books for the literally challenged as I didn't mention anything about breadmakers selling bread or everyone having cases of ammo.
    Try to expound on a subject you are versed in.
    You never kinow, you might fool someone.

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    You ignore history. How many time has the world been destroied? Once, if you believe the bible, a few time if you believe in evolution. On thoes super rare points in time, gold and silver would have been fairly usless. Now how many time in history has there been a national crisis conserning the money supply. Looking at other countries, hundreds, thousands maybe? That is far more likely than a global event like you are thinking. Even WW3 would not cause PM to go to 0. Just read some history.

Oh god...."destroied"..."conserning"...dude, those aren't even typos.....you gotta join him when he gets his reading material.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey Jed, how well did bartering and trade work out for the indians? Oh, thats right, they traded the whole island of Manhattan for a few beads, axes, and tobacco. There are far worse things out there to invest money in besides precious metals. I agree with you that metals are usless when you are hungry, or sick, or homeless. But what use is gasoline, bullets, and guns if you are in the same condition? I guess you are a hunter, doctor, carpenter, chemist, seamstress, baker, and mechanic. I guess since you do it all and will not need to trade with anyone you can be self sufficient in the end times.

But wait... lets say on the one in a million chance that you may NEED something someone else has what will you do? I guess you will load up your gas, bullets, guns, chickens, linnens, medicines, timber, and hope that someone you may happen across is willing to trade for your items. Precious metals are a median of exchange and a store of wealth, nothing more.

Last edited:

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    Oh god...."destroied"..."conserning"...dude, those aren't even typos.....you gotta join him when he gets his reading material.
    Hmmm so instead of addressing the actual content of my post you choose to pick out the spelling errors. Sounds like you try to avoid the points you don’t have an answer for and change the subject.

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    Aren't they all just part of a plan? You stock up on ammo, food, water, fuel, seed, gold/silver, and cash. They all fit into the "solution" in different places. You can only store so much food/water and it's hard to travel with. The same issue with fuel. Gold and silver are easy to travel with, but if no one is selling what you need, you are SOL. If the economy is 100% in the dumper, cash won't be worth anything, but if isn't just that the phones are out you'll want it for when the Credit Card doesn't want.

Sort of like what the US should have for an energy policy "all of the above."

Oh, and if you have gold/silver coins, I'll pay spot. :)

Last edited:

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Oh, and if you have gold/silver coins, I'll pay spot. :)

I saw a thread yesterday here where a guy was selling generic silver rounds for spot. He was also selling Phil's for around $1.50 over spot. I have about 100 mercury dimes I'm looking to sell for melt value.

Last edited:

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    The OP implied a fiscal collapse I think "SHTF hedge fund" and I missed this so was alluding to a "TEOTWAWKI" situation.
    These are two very different scenarios obviously and gold/silver would play their respective roles in the first, my bad.... I see where your'e coming from.
    As for Manhattan Island, if the indians did as you say then clearly they were duped by 'ol whitey, that said, they could just as easily have got an ass whoopin and left empty handed :D

As for "the world being destroid" it never has been.
    Life crawled from the oceans three and a half BILLION yrs ago and has continued to evolve ever since.
    Sure there is some speculation that a meteorite collided with our planet some sixty million yrs ago and wiped out the dinosaurs but there were many life forms able to carry on happily, and this was easily 56 million yrs before man appeared.
    A national crisis concerning money, even including other countries may equal several, but hundreds or thousands.....er, no.
    I can think of three.
    This one, the last one....and the one before that.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    The OP implied a fiscal collapse I think "SHTF hedge fund" and I missed this so was alluding to a "TEOTWAWKI" situation.
    These are two very different scenarios obviously and gold/silver would play their respective roles in the first, my bad.... I see where your'e coming from.
    As for Manhattan Island, if the indians did as you say then clearly they were duped by 'ol whitey, that said, they could just as easily have got an ass whoopin and left empty handed :D

As for "the world being destroid" it never has been.
    Life crawled from the oceans three and a half BILLION yrs ago and has continued to evolve ever since.
    Sure there is some speculation that a meteorite collided with our planet some sixty million yrs ago and wiped out the dinosaurs but there were many life forms able to carry on happily, and this was easily 56 million yrs before man appeared.
    A national crisis concerning money, even including other countries may equal several, but hundreds or thousands.....er, no.
    I can think of three.
    This one, the last one....and the one before that.

Actually they didn't own it, and sold it several times over...

So, let me sell you that house across the street from you, for $5000, and have you brag about putting one over on me.... and buy it from me 3x....:D:p

samiam

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    Mississippi
    Speaking of silver. I picked up a weighted sterling candle stick for 25 cent today = between 1/2 to 3/4 oz 925 silver.

samiam

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    Mississippi
    Wow!!!! silver is at $40.30. I purchased most of mine at $6.80 in 1999. and pre 1964 coins at 3 to 4 times face. I have also purchased quita a bit of sterling from junk store for a fraction of the silver price. so it looks like I did good. How high do you think silver will go.

geauxbubba

"No Comment"
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Lacombe
    On the inside cover of this months American Rifleman you can buy a american Eagle 1 oz. coin for $32.50 including shipping. Limit one per person. You need the code from the ad.

Top Bottom