Jurisdiction on the Interstate

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Ok people have posted about Livingston Parish so what if say a Livingston PD officer has a LPSO commission writes somebody outside the city limits of the Town of Livingston and runs it through 21st district? Sound like a good bust to me.
    How many local LEO's have Parish commissions?

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    I personally don't know why an officer outside of their jurisdiction would WANT to take action on anything that would not otherwise morally call for action. You are kind of hanging your neck out when you are out of communication. I had to go to a training class in Orlando once, in a marked unit, and actually took great pleasure in NOT having to stop for broken down cars and the like.. :-) If it starts IN my jurisdiction and no rank calls it off though, I better run out of gas before you.

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    I have often wondered how that Livingston cop writes tickets on the interstate that is at least 2 miles away from the town of Livingston.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I believe the town limit ends just pass the ramps. I believe all of the Dept within Livingston parish such as town of Livingston,Albany,etc have parish commissions. This is done so they can assist the deputies with calls.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    There has to be at least one LPSO on here that can clarify. I h e stopped severalDWI on my way home after I had comm contact that jurisdiction and they have asked me to stop them. It is not wise to pull over someone for a minor infraction like speeding if you are out of your jurisdiction when the violation does not happen within your jurisdiction.

Edit: sorry for all the "jurisdiction".

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Ok people have posted about Livingston Parish so what if say a Livingston PD officer has a LPSO commission writes somebody outside the city limits of the Town of Livingston and runs it through 21st district? Sound like a good bust to me.
    How many local LEO's have Parish commissions?

Most.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have often wondered how that Livingston cop writes tickets on the interstate that is at least 2 miles away from the town of Livingston.

If you are stationary and someone passes you at 80+ MPH you can not overtake them right away and the violation was in his jurisdiction at I 12 and Hwy. 63 not where the vehicle is stopped.

harleydave2

Master of nothing....
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    livingston, LA
    Walker City limits covers everything between Satsuma and Denham Springs on I 12.
    Basically 14 MM to 21 MM. Walker does not work I 12 as hard as Livingston.
    Walker places a higher priority on calls in the City proper rather than traffic enforcement on I 12.

I see walker PD almost every morning working I-12...

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    If you are stationary and someone passes you at 80+ MPH you can not overtake them right away and the violation was in his jurisdiction at I 12 and Hwy. 63 not where the vehicle is stopped.

Yep Alton is a expert at that, and sometimes it's 100 mph plus

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    I'm fully aware of that, but I think you missed my point. The tiny town of Livingston is about 2 miles away from the interstate. In fact, I doubt for all intents and purposes the actual town is much more than a mile wide, yet the older fellow seems to make the town a lot of money with the convenience provided by his jurisdiction being pushed just past the ramps of the interstate. I just think its funny how some municipalities play their games.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I'm fully aware of that, but I think you missed my point. The tiny town of Livingston is about 2 miles away from the interstate. In fact, I doubt for all intents and purposes the actual town is much more than a mile wide, yet the older fellow seems to make the town a lot of money with the convenience provided by his jurisdiction being pushed just past the ramps of the interstate. I just think its funny how some municipalities play their games.

If you look at Town/City limits on maps they always look crazy. Example French Settlement they run along La. 16 but only 1000' off the road so if one of those deadend roads that run off it is 1500' long and the call is at the deadend FSPD tells LPSO it's their call.

The new City of Central north limit runs 1000' north of La. 64 until it gets to the trashy trailer park Deer Run then it goes around it. They didn't want that in their City.

So the Town's are just taking the money that the speeders want to give them, that's why they have those big signs with numbers out there.

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Here's a news flash... I haven't had a badge in over four years.

And if you define arrogance as impatience with certain... views... then, yes, I'm the same person in person.

Good for you man!:bravo:

A badge is just like alcohol, some people have a problem with it others don't. You have been clean and sober or in this case badge free for four years. GREAT JOB!
    Don't get impatient.:(

one day at a time brother. One day at a time.

Top Bottom