Just bought 1st handgun for future concealed carry use

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • historyphdguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Jefferson
    I grew up using shotguns and rifles. I currently own a 20 gauge and a .22 rifle for personal use and home defense. I finally decided to pursue getting a conceal carry permit and just purchased a Kel-Tec PF-9 handgun from a friend. I am looking for advice on this gun from those with experience with it. Do you have any recommendations on cleaning, type of bullet and load, comfortable holsters, shooting strategies, etc. Also, any recommendations on a good place to target shoot in Jefferson Parish as well as a reputable place where I can get my concealed carry training required by the State? I greatly appreciate the help on this subject matter. Going from a shotgun to a handgun is a bit of a change for me but I want a weapon I can carry into just about any situation and location here in the region. Thanks for the shared wisdom.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Welcome to the forums and Congratulations on taking a big step in protecting you and yours.

There are MANY recommendations on Defense Ammo for sure.

Some of the more note worthy ones for 9mm are; (in no particular order)
    Hornady Critical Defense
    Winchester PDX1
    Gold Dot
    Ranger XT

SamNavy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Belle Chasse, LA
    I've owned the PF9 for about 6 months now, and am waiting for S&W Shields to be available again so I can trade it.

You picked a gun that is well-known for being picky about ammo, tough to shoot well, hard on the hands, VERY VERY VERY LONG trigger pull and even longer trigger rest (if that's possible).

The PF9 is not a range gun. You'll be tired of shooting it after 2 magazines. Your hand will hurt and it will rub places on your palm and fingers in an unpleasant way. The fix for some of this is the very popular Hogue slip-on grip. I'll link it at the bottom.

There are a few compact single-stack 9mm's that are "better" guns, but they are all more expensive and none of them are guns you're going to shoot a lot. Even the new S&W Shield 9mm that everybody is losing their nuts over isn't necessarily something you're going to put 100rds through in a single sitting. These guns are small and light, and have fairly heavy recoil. They are purpose-designed tools for easy CCW and close-range self-defense. The PF9 is a superb carry gun, but more of them seem to be finicky about ammo than other guns in the same class. This may be the tradeoff for having "the slimmest/lightest single-stack 9mm available". Most guys discover however that their ammo problems are inevitably being caused by "limp-wristing", which the PF9 rewards with fails-to-everything. You cannot limp-wrist this gun.

My PF9 has shot 200rds of Winchester FMJ, 50rds of blazer aluminum FMJ, 50rds of PMC Bronze, 50rds of Federal Guard Dog, and 100rds of Federal FMJ without a single issue. No fails of any kind, and no noticed issues with accuracy. My next trip to the range will be to evaluate Winchester 115g JHP personal protection, which if successful will become my carry ammo in that gun. I don't carry it often, but most guys on the Keltec forum say that before you carry this gun, you should have 500rds through it and at least a couple hundred of what you intend to carry in it to be sure it feeds properly.

Cleaning and care is exactly the same as any other semi-automatic pistol. Remove the slide/barrel, clean all parts, and reassemble with a few drops of oil applied wherever the manual says.

What holster is comfortable for you might be an ergonomic nightmare for another guy. Where do you intend to carry it?

I'm not sure what you mean by "shooting strategy". If you're ever forced to draw the weapon and fire, you will hopefully recall your training and perform your actions as you've been taught and practiced. If you have no training, you will be relying on luck. Shooting strategy in general is fairly simple... aim for center mass and squeeze.

There is a gunshow this weekend at the Pontchartrain Center where you can sample holsters, buy a few extra magazines and pinky grip extensions, and some ammo.

http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Rubber-Handall-Small-Sleeve/dp/B000H6GZI8

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Ive owned one with no problems through it. Not many "conceal" guns and too pleasant to shoot all day. Good luck man and welcome. Dont feel like you made a bad decision.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Pick up a limbsaver recoil reducing grip for it. That was the only way I could shoot more than 50 rounds through my PF9 without it ripping the skin between my thumb and pointer.

URL]

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Even the new S&W Shield 9mm that everybody is losing their nuts over isn't necessarily something you're going to put 100rds through in a single sitting. These guns are small and light, and have fairly heavy recoil.

Not... really.

I've put twice that number through mine in every sitting, and have yet to feel at all battered by it. I despise most pocket pistols for the reasons you describe, but jumped on this one after seeing video of several accomplished folks shooting them. I was not disappointed.

The Shield (with factory 115s) is only a tad more flippy than my 9 Pro's running my flat-shooting gamer loads and their subsequently lightened recoil springs. And based on my weekly ammo diet (in a single session) from November through May... I can safely say that the average Joe could take their Shield to the range and bang away as much as their funds and time could allow without any adverse effects. The long grip provides for this comfort and shootability, though it robs the pistol of some of its concealment potential in the process.

Then again... I actually enjoyed shooting a couple of boxes through my buddy's PF9 (before he ditched it) in a single session. So maybe I'm a wacko... :dunno:

RJAY

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    PF9

Make sure the allen head screw that holds the extractor is tight. Dry fire only with snap caps. Practice with the cheap wall mart or academy stuff. For self defense carry non-plus p speer gold dots. Plus p is not necessary and would only put more stress on you and the gun. My pf9 will cycle empty cases. If yours doesn't work, kel-tec will fix it. It is an excellent cc gun. Give it a good work out and if you don't like it, then go look for something else.

marmy7451

Bill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Livingston Parish
    PF9

I have 3 of these, one to carry and 2 for student use in classes. All have more than 5000 rounds through them and are very dependable. I have had a number of students, male and female who did well with them and now carry them. My carry method is in a pocket holster from Pocket Concealment Systems, the Blackbird. It is a well designed and fitted holster and I have never had it come out of the pocket with the weapon. I think the PF9 is a good value for the money, but it requires a bit more dedication and commitment to training. I carry mine with Cor-Bon DPX and am well pleased with the results.

Top Bottom