Just bought my first AR. Opinions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dauc43

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    NOLA, BR, Lake Charles
    Just recently purchased my first AR, got a DPMS AP4 and am just waiting on arrival. Yes, I know people here do not think it is the best brand but its my first and I got it new for a deal. Im posting this because I would like to setup the gun for some distance shooting (100-250yds?) because that is what intrests me and am wondering what scopes/accessories yall would reccommend. Ive done some browsing and come across some nikon/burris/bushnell 4-9x32-40ish that seem to fit my needs and price range, but have no experience with any of these scopes. Obviously buying a DPMS, a trijicon is out of my price range... so keep that in mind when reccommending scopes/accessories. Im also interested in new rails w/ capability to attach bipod, stock, compensators, trigger upgrade... just anything yall have found and feel are worthy upgrades to an AR.Any reccomendations/comments are welcome! Thanks

Last edited:

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Congrats on your first ar15 purchase. I'm sure its not going to be your last. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can help you out and steer you in the right direction. Namely, avoiding costly mistakes that we've already made. :)

Now for some starter questions.

1. What is the primary purpose of this build? (defensive, plinker, competition, hunting, bench rest, a mix of some or all?)
    2. What distance are you going to be shooting most of the time and want to focus on? (10 yards, 100 yards, 1000 yards?)
    3. What is your budget for upgrades, ammo, and training? (how much $ your willing to dump overall into this project)
    4. How are you set for ammo? (reloading or off the shelf brands?)

dauc43

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    NOLA, BR, Lake Charles
    Congrats on your first ar15 purchase. I'm sure its not going to be your last. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can help you out and steer you in the right direction. Namely, avoiding costly mistakes that we've already made. :)

Now for some starter questions.

1. What is the primary purpose of this build? (defensive, plinker, competition, hunting, bench rest, a mix of some or all?)
    2. What distance are you going to be shooting most of the time and want to focus on? (10 yards, 100 yards, 1000 yards?)
    3. What is your budget for upgrades, ammo, and training? (how much $ your willing to dump overall into this project)
    4. How are you set for ammo? (reloading or off the shelf brands?)

1.) defensive and plinker, competetion sounds interesting but i dont really know much about it or where to get started
    2.)im assuming 100 yds. since thats the furthest range within my area... although my family has some acres that i could easily get to 500+yds. for some reason the long shot just intrests me.
    3.)decent budget, not unlimited and dont want to spend more on scopes/parts than i did on the initial rifle. I doubt i would get training besides reading online and practice.
    4.)we all know the ammo plague that is currently going on... Any time i can find it at a decent price at walmart/academy/cabelas/online i will buy though.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Well you bought a gun with a carbine length gas system. It has a short hand guard and non free floating barrel. Bipods, although great for a precision setup, is really out of place with your current setup. They are heavy and will restrict your weak hand grip on the hand guard.

The first thing I would buy is a folding rear sight if it doesn't come with one already. Magpul makes a nice one that's cheap and readily available.

Shoot it as is for now and make sure it cycles.

An inexpensive 1-4x variable powered optic such as a burris tac30 will fill the needs of most ordinary ar15 owners.

I'm partial to giesselle two stage triggers like the ssa-e

Rails are an expensive and heavy way to just have a platform to attach some toys. The magpul foreends are a cheaper alternative

Two point slings are my favorite. Particularly the blue force one.

Stocks are a personal thing. Just keep in mind the weight. Some are literal boat anchors.

Last edited:

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    I have a DPMS Oracle 7.62 and its a good shooter. DPMS isn't the best but its good for what you will be using it for.

I'm sure you know this but always buy the best optic you can afford.
    Learn to shoot it with iron sights. Its pretty easy to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards. That's not to say you can't get a scope. Look at the Vortex scopes. They are not well known in the hunting community but they are a top choice for the tactical people that want good glass at a reasonable price. If you are only shooting 240 yards you can get a 1x4. Some people like the Nikon M223 also. Personally I think Vortex has better glass at the same price.
    Get a good solid mount. Look at the LaRue mounts. Not rings. With a good mount you can take the scope and mount off and use your iron sights and re-mount your scope and not have to re-zero.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    any advice/recommendations for folding iron sights?
    I'd look at the magpul before you buy if you can. I hate them and can't get good sight picture. Would work just as labeled as back up. Troy makes really good sights but they cost a little more. If you plan to stay with iron sights which I find just fine inside 300M get one of the troy fixed sights. They are really light and get the job done and a little lass then half the cost of folding sight.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'd look at the magpul before you buy if you can. I hate them and can't get good sight picture. Would work just as labeled as back up. Troy makes really good sights but they cost a little more. If you plan to stay with iron sights which I find just fine inside 300M get one of the troy fixed sights. They are really light and get the job done and a little lass then half the cost of folding sight.

+1

With few exceptions, folding sights don't make much sense to me. A fixed rear sight blurs out and really doesn't obstruct the red dot sight picture once mounted on the rifle. If you NEED a BUIS, you're going to need it fast-Faster than, "Hey, my RDS stopped working... what the?... Hold on (removes support hand from rifle)... let me just flip this little... Where is it? (Raises head from stock to look at rear folding sight) <CLICK>... Oh, good, found it... (moves head and support hand back into position, ascertains target).

Unless of course you practice activating the rear sight, which seems like time that could be spent practicing malfunction drills and mag changes. A fixed sight is especially useful if you're planning on skimping on the RDS, (not suggested either) which will likely crap out after moderate abuse.

http://www.amazon.com/Troy-Industries-Fixed-Battle-Sight/dp/B002I9TW00 and be done with it.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheMadKing504
    Top Bottom