Just cut the cord

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I just called to cancel our service with DirecTV. That's $150/month back in our budget! Score :bigok:

I'm curious how many other people have done this? We're sticking with Netflix/Hulu+, because that's all we've been watching lately anyway. On-demand tv is where it's at.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've contemplated doing so, I pay nearly 200 bucks a month to Cox.... But at the same time, to get the quick internet will still cost me 60 bucks a month or so....

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I haven't paid for Satellite/Cable in the past 2 years.

IIRC, Hulu+ is $8/mo and Netflix is $7/mo. We use my fiancée's sister's Netflix account and we rarely use it, to be honest. All of my favorite shows are on Hulu+ and I can watch them when I feel like it. The only Satellite/Cable provider we can get in our area, is DirecTV and it was going to be around $130 a month. I think the $8 vs $100+ argument is a no-brainer.

Simply put, if it isn't on Hulu or YouTube, I don't care to watch it. We can also rent a movie from Amazon Instant for $4-5. Renting a movie once every 3 months isn't gonna blow the budget.

Edit -

Since the cost of internet was brought up. I pay $50/mo for DSL and it's just fine. I don't do Console or PC Gaming. Just one laptop, a tablet, and two iPhones.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I haven't paid for Satellite/Cable in the past 2 years.

IIRC, Hulu+ is $8/mo and Netflix is $7/mo. We use my fiancée's sister's Netflix account and we rarely use it, to be honest. All of my favorite shows are on Hulu+ and I can watch them when I feel like it. The only Satellite/Cable provider we can get in our area, is DirecTV and it was going to be around $130 a month. I think the $8 vs $100+ argument is a no-brainer.

Simply put, if it isn't on Hulu or YouTube, I don't care to watch it. We can also rent a movie from Amazon Instant for $4-5. Renting a movie once every 3 months isn't gonna blow the budget.

Yep, that's exactly the route we're going. I'll gladly go drive to a Redbox every now and then to rent a movie for under $2, or stream it for a little more. This easily pays for our trip to Disney in a few years, and also our 10-year-anniversary trip that's coming up :thumbsup:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I just called to cancel our service with DirecTV. That's $150/month back in our budget! Score :bigok:

I'm curious how many other people have done this? We're sticking with Netflix/Hulu+, because that's all we've been watching lately anyway. On-demand tv is where it's at.

Oh heyyy.

Netflix, Hulu+, HD Antenna. I only pay for internet.

My work schedule doesn't even allow me to watch primetime TV unless I'm off so I'm used to watching everything the next day, doesn't bother me.

Also doesn't hurt that I have logins for hboGO, WatchESPN, SECNetwork, ABC, Fox, MLBtv, NBAtv, and others.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yep, that's exactly the route we're going. I'll gladly go drive to a Redbox every now and then to rent a movie for under $2, or stream it for a little more. This easily pays for our trip to Disney in a few years, and also our 10-year-anniversary trip that's coming up :thumbsup:

By not running unused electronics and having multitasking devices, we've kept our electricity bill between $80-120 each month for the past 8-9 months.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Yeah I cut the cord a few years back and haven't given it a second thought. I do netflix and roku. I've been kicking around the idea of getting hulu+ but with what i have now I watch too much TV.

I do want to get a HD antenna for news etc. just haven't been able to decide on a brand yet many have mixed reviews.

Also since getting solar panels my past two elcrticty bills have been 11-12 bucks a month. I'm sure i could save more if i were to start doing what Dave is.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Absolutely. We're not going to miss it. I'm thinking about an HD antenna, but we're a little far from the bigger stations, so I don't know how good the service would be. But we love being able to watch pretty much anything we want, whenever we want to. I have like 5 tv series in my netflix queue right now. Not like we'll run out of entertainment anytime soon.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    About 5 Years back I got rid of cable... I setup Windows Media Center PC's in each room with a TV along with a server in my living room. I use the server as a storage point for the Media Center PC's that also function as DVR's so each TV can playback recorded TV.

Each TV already has the capability of playing Netflix, HULU, etc., however the interface on the PC is a LOT better and faster. Between Pandora, Crackle, Slacker, Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, VUDU, etc., and any other means to stream audio/video, its just not necessary to pay for cable. You can stream Pay Per View, almost every channel has it's own online streaming of shows, even YouTube charges for full movies now... If you want to watch it, its out there. In a sense, my TV is just a giant monitor. I have a media center remote and keyboard, bluray drive in the PC for DVDs, flash drive access for anything else.

I predicted a long time ago that internet service providers are going to move towards a data usage policy very similar to the cell phone companies eventually. Cox has already started tracking your data usage (gauge on your profile when you login to their site). they will start to throttle overuse and charge for internet data plans.

The more services that move towards online streaming, the less consumers will need "channel" providers and the internet providers are going to compensate accordingly... mark my words.

I also recently setup a friends new condo with a TV... all he uses is a HD antenna for local channels, the apps on his TV (a Samsung) and I got him a 4TB network drive that houses all of his movies. The TV is pre-setup to connect to this particular drive, so all his movies are available from the TV menu.

Gotta love technology, putting itself out of business and FORCING itself to advance!!! lol.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah I cut the cord a few years back and haven't given it a second thought. I do netflix and roku. I've been kicking around the idea of getting hulu+ but with what i have now I watch too much TV.

I do want to get a HD antenna for news etc. just haven't been able to decide on a brand yet many have mixed reviews.

Also since getting solar panels my past two elcrticty bills have been 11-12 bucks a month. I'm sure i could save more if i were to start doing what Dave is.

I picked mine up at Radio Shack 2-3 years ago? It's flat, square, and white. About the size of an 8.5"x11" piece of paper, hangs on the wall.

I think it cost me $16-18.

With it I get ABC, NBC, FOX, and Bounce (lolz).

I've been able to watch all of the FOX aired Saints games and can watch live TV when I'm home.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Is it like this? http://www.radioshack.com/rca-ant1400r-flat-digital-indoor-antenna/1500454.html#.VOtkifnF9qU

I think that's what my parents have. They live in Gonzales, and they can pick up pretty much anything they want. Amazing that they're making them so small now, and they still work well. I have an uncle that had built one years ago, and it was huge.

For that price or even cheaper, that's worth the few channels. I may have to pick one up.

To be honest, if it weren't for online bill paying and the occasional need to print something, I wouldn't need internet at home. Beer is cheap and books are cheaper.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Is it like this? http://www.radioshack.com/rca-ant1400r-flat-digital-indoor-antenna/1500454.html#.VOtkifnF9qU

I think that's what my parents have. They live in Gonzales, and they can pick up pretty much anything they want. Amazing that they're making them so small now, and they still work well. I have an uncle that had built one years ago, and it was huge.

Think so. Here it is on Amazon Prime for $14.99 http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Multi-Dir...4713410&sr=8-1&keywords=white+flat+HD+antenna

Apparently you can paint it too to make it more, concealable.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I've had directv for years, and the sunday ticket every year. When I called to cancel last summer they gave me all the channels (minus premium movies) and locked my rate at 74.99 a mo. They also give us 10.00 a mo credit for ppv, and threw in sunday ticket free for the season. (which is why I kept the service)

Been contemplating the full on switch to netflix/hulu myself - and I hear fantastic things about amazon's new thing as well. May make the change asap. I paid attention this year to how many sunday football games I watched that I wouldn't have been able to watch if I didn't have the service: 3. the rest were on local channels or streamed online anyway - seems like a waste of $$.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    SLING TV!!!! ive had it for 3 weeks and love it!!! added the kids pack and they have all the channels my kids watch. I also have Amazon Fire Stick and with the interwebz who needs cable!

oh and you can add the Sports pack and get espn u sec network and more. also with Sling tv you get espn 3

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I've heard Sling is awesome. We might sign up for it just during football season, if it's a monthly thing and you don't need a contract. Otherwise, we have in-laws 2 miles away. All we'll miss is having DVR... but the streaming services serve the same purpose.

Top Bottom