Just now hearing about this.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim's Firearms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2014
    Baton rouge, LA
    For some reason I am just now hearing about this today....

In summary, here is what is ATF is stating is required when a Gun Trust or an individual uses an ATF Form 4 to purchase a NFA Firearm:
    Gun Trusts - 4473 and NICS
    Individuals - CLEO, Fingerprints, photographs, 4473, no NICS
    (As of May 6th 2014)

Here's the link:http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2014/05/does-a-trust-need-a-nics-check.html

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    The letter that he quotes in that article is only an opinion letter addressed specifically to Dakota Silencer. It doesn't change anything. On the 4473 it's pretty clear that "No NICS check was required because the transfer involved only National Firearms Act firearm(s)." Until they put a new circular or change the 4473 it doesn't mean anything to anyone other than Dakota silencer.

Landry308

Class 3/SOT/Houma LA
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Houma
    I went ahead and sent an email to our examiner just to clarify. Still waiting on the response.

What you'll get is your examiner's best guess, which carries no weight of law. This subject has come up in years past, also. I have been doing 4473 for all trusts for several years, to err on the side of safety. If someone goes nuts with a can I sold, it won't be on the news that I gave it to them with a "loophole" and no background check.

Jim's Firearms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2014
    Baton rouge, LA
    Well Eric sent me an email saying to check with my local atf agent for answers on nics check, soooo I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow. I just want to make sure I'm following the right procedure. We always get them to fill out a 4473 but check box 22 and do not call it in. One of my questions is what happens if I call it in and they get a delay? I just want to do the right thing

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I got this from an attorney that I asked about this same thing yesterday:

I think that you're referring to ATF41P, which is was a proposal set forth by the ATF that (in it's last seen form) would require background checks and CLEO sign-offs for each "responsible party" within a trust. The "proposal" was just that, a proposal. It could end up being enacted in it's original form, or the ATF may make significant changes to it, or they may do nothing at all.

The "truth" is that the ATF will likely take some action regarding the fact that trustees and LLC members are not currently subject to background checks for NFA items, but no one knows exactly what they will do, nor when they will do it.

Regardless, there are still numerous advantages to having NFA items in a trust, versus individual ownership, including allowing multiple persons to legally have possession of the items, ease of transfer among trustees and beneficiaries, no additional applications or tax stamps for transfer to beneficiaries, etc.. Plus, until further notice, there are still no background checks checks or CLEO sign off.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    It isn't required to call it in. Otherwise why would the be trying to change the rules regarding trusts corps etc with the 41P proposal? They wouldn't need fingerprints etc if there was a NICS check done on whoever picked up the item. I personally only do what is required of me by law nothing more, nothing less. I would suggest doing some research on the matter rather than contacting ATF. If history is any guide anytime people contact the ATF for clarification it usually results in further restrictions. Check out this thread will give you something you can look up

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=103231&start=25

Top Bottom