Just ordered my first 1911...kind of

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhebe37

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've been on a handgun shopping spree of sorts and finally decided to pop on a 1911. I ended up getting a Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced with 200 rounds of Remington HTP ammo and 2 extra CMC 8 round magazines (4 total) shipped for $750 total for everything. The ammo is a mail in rebate, but I think I ended up with a pretty fair deal. Curious as to what you guys think. I have only shot the Remington R1 and loved it, and I handled the enhanced version at a gunsop and liked the look/feel of it a lot more than the regular R1. I'm curious if anyone has handled one and how they stack up to the competition in that $750 price range (even though between the ammo and mags, the gun actually ran closer to $600). I owned a Kimber 1911 for a short time that I got in a trade, but I literally never shot the thing because is was a compact and I wasn't in love with how it felt in the hand, so even though this is my 2nd 1911, its the first one I plan on shooting the hell out of.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    aVZgT.gif

Last edited:

dhebe37

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yea the finish on the GI isnt quite as nice as the enhanced. It seemed similar in fit and finish to the RIA so I could see that. I handled about 25 1911s before deciding on one in my price range and the fit and finish on the Remington were the best. The Ruger SR1911 was the only one that really compared in that category. Another reason I went for the enhanced over the standard GI was because I really like the fiberoptic front sight as well as the beaver tail/safety. The main gripe I had with the R1 GI was that it banged up my hand when I was shooting it. Supposedly the more advanced beaver tail takes that away. I actually have seen several of the R1 GIs running for north of what I paid for the enhanced, plus 2 extra mags, plus 200 rounds of hollow points, so I figured it was a pretty good deal.

Top Bottom