Just received Ontario Rat 5 1095 (Updated Feb.25) Post 6

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    I just received my Ontario Rat 5 1095 steel and I must I like it very much, I've been looking into a fixed blade for a couple years at least considered everything from Chris Reeve Green Beret to the Gerber Silver Trident , Al Mar Shiva and several others that were a lot more money than the Rat 5 couldn't really figure out what I wanted and what I wanted it for . At first I thought I wanted a big-ass fighting blade but lets be real, what are the chance that I'm going to be doing any "fighting" and to be honest BIGGER doesn't necessarily mean better in terms of knives not to mention I saved a bunch of money considering the Chris Reeves go for $300 + same for the Al MAr Shiva even though I think the Shiva Is a beautiful knife. So I started looking into "survival" type knives , something that can take a licking and I'm not going to feel bad. This took me to Asek type knives that are a bit more robust like the LMF form gerber and a few others from names like Cold Steel , Ka BAr, Crkt , Benchmade etc. but none struck me enough for me to jump on one. Another thing that I liked about the Rat is that I've never owned a blade with this type of high carbon steel , I own folders with premium steels that are worth more than 3x what the Rat cost and I gotta say I like it even though its a bit more laborious in terms of maintenance but thats fine. My first complaint is the super coarse texture thats on it its almost like sand paper but not quite I can only assume that cutting thru soft material or tissue it will hang up , the second problem I have with it is the sheath , it's terrible they call it a "lined cordura" the snaps seem like they are backward and the pouch in the front makes no sense so that brings me to the question where can I get something better dont really know what but anyting has got to be better than this.
    I'm no expert by any means (that's obvious) so maybe you guy that are knowledgeable can help me out.
    Pics will be coming soon as soon as I figure how to load on here , it's always been a problem for me but here are a few stock photos to hold us over, thanks for reading. This is not a review , more of a rant I guess.
    I'll post more about it further down.Here are the goods on it:http://www.ontarioknife.com/catalog/item/103
    images

QN-RAT5.jpg

spd_20120802114558_b.jpg

ifrj0y.jpg

350qcfd.jpg

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    It's a great looking knife I've always read good things about Ontario knives the sheath looks like something from Wal-Mart though hope it's better quality than it looks on the pics.

Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    It's a great looking knife I've always read good things about Ontario knives the sheath looks like something from Wal-Mart though hope it's better quality than it looks on the pics.

It's crap,(the sheath) looking to replace it with some kydex or even leather though there are good quality cordura holsters( sorry sheath) out there.

Last edited:

Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    The grip

I forgot to add that I dont like the grip on it in terms that the Micarta is really slick , I prefer g-10 but Micarta is supposed to be superior to g-10 , maybe some finger grooves or a "texturing" Idk hope I get some recommendations.
    Waiting on Sir Isaac and Tom Terrific to chime in as well as Cbr.
    Here are the goods on it:http://www.ontarioknife.com/catalog/item/103

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I lost the sheaths to two knives (cheapies but I liked them) in Katrina. I stopped at the army surplus one day and found some generic blackhawk sheaths. They were ok but probably only slightly better than what you have. I wouldn't spend real money on those knives though...
    We have a few leather workers on board. Tandy sells some DIY kits (its not that hard but not for everyone).
    I bet some of the kydex folks could make you a nice custom sheath if you prefer plastic. Somehow leather just seems more appropriate for a knife.

Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    Somehow leather just seems more appropriate for a knife.

Agreed, a nice leather sheath would be swell .

Quick follow up about the sheath, well since I made original post on FEb.22 the clip on the front pocket already broke so I had to improvise on how to keep the pocket closed , as we already knew the sheath is Chinese JUNK , I hope I can get a nice leather sheath made because I havent had any luck finding something I like on the web.
    You leather sheath makers shoot me a pm, thnx

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mmabone
    Top Bottom