KAHR or AUTO ORDNANCE M1 CARBINE

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WINGBONE2

WINGBONE2
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Livingston Parish, Louisiana
    Have any of you shot one of these? I have read abunch of bad reviews on them, but have never talked to anyone that has shot one. I'm interested in the folding stock para-trooper. I've watched the video on you tube with a guy dressed in WWII uniform trying to shoot one that jams about every 3rd shot.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Have any of you shot one of these? I have read abunch of bad reviews on them, but have never talked to anyone that has shot one. I'm interested in the folding stock para-trooper. I've watched the video on you tube with a guy dressed in WWII uniform trying to shoot one that jams about every 3rd shot.

Don't know what you tube vid you refer to, or what reviews you've read but...I've owned LOTS of carbines over the years and most recently, the one you're asking about. Mine ran like a champ and Id love to have it back, but I'll have to knock my oldest in the head and take it at this point. :)

TOO many variables here including knowing what ammo the blogger/reviewer/youtuber was using, or the magazines as well. Magazines alone run from US surplus to chinese crap. And while the surplus may have great bodies, the last usage of these was in the 1960's and the springs themselves leave a lot to be desired. But it's a cheap replacement part to have a great running little rifle. Also, fmj ammo ALWAYS tends to run better in these imex than jhp's.

So...again don't know whose reviews you read, but my experience with Kahr's "War Baby" was a VERY positive one. As an additional, PM Doug38PR here on BS, he just got one IIRC.

Happy shooting.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Ammo does make a big difference . My WWII era Winchester does not like the Aguila ammo . It will run Magtech and Wolf all day . Aguila is filthy anyway . :)

WINGBONE2

WINGBONE2
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Ok went back and watched the video on you yube. It didn't say anywhere that its a AO. I watched it awhile back and just assumed it was a AO because it looks brand new. Some of the reviews I read, I just typed in Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine reviews....... some good some bad.

Last edited:

WINGBONE2

WINGBONE2
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Doug38PR

Don't know what you tube vid you refer to, or what reviews you've read but...I've owned LOTS of carbines over the years and most recently, the one you're asking about. Mine ran like a champ and Id love to have it back, but I'll have to knock my oldest in the head and take it at this point. :)

TOO many variables here including knowing what ammo the blogger/reviewer/youtuber was using, or the magazines as well. Magazines alone run from US surplus to chinese crap. And while the surplus may have great bodies, the last usage of these was in the 1960's and the springs themselves leave a lot to be desired. But it's a cheap replacement part to have a great running little rifle. Also, fmj ammo ALWAYS tends to run better in these imex than jhp's.

So...again don't know whose reviews you read, but my experience with Kahr's "War Baby" was a VERY positive one. As an additional, PM Doug38PR here on BS, he just got one IIRC.

Happy shooting.

I searched for Doug38PR and found no results on BS. Is that correct name?

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    I just got an Auto-Ordinance M-1 Carbine about 2 weeks ago. I haven't regretted it :) I love this rifle and it is probably my favorite rifle in my collection. Shoots well. I am in the process of getting some of the bells and whistles to it. I carry slung over my shoulder along with my .38 Official Police on my hip whenever I go hiking through my woods all the time. I frequently keep it in my car while traveling (it takes up far less room and is easier to conceal than my AR-15)
    You can play it like a gutair and it will feel and sound like you're shooting a fully automatic.
    The gun has little recoil. It doesn't have the velocity of the AR-15 .223 Remington....but what it lacks in power, it makes up for in larger caliber and ease of carry. It's power is half that of a .30-30. It is far more powerful than any submachine gun made today.

EDIT: I will say this one little thing against Auto Ordiance. The 15 round magazine that comes with the gun (at least mine is) is very weak and jams the gun frequently (but not as much as what your gentleman in the video is experiencing). BUT, just go to Fulton Armory and get some top quality magazines. Magazine quality make a world of difference in any semi automatic gun
    I already had three 30 round bananna clip magazines in my safe from a Universal M-1 Carbine I had 5 years ago. Those work PERFECTLY, I have shot about 200 rounds through the gun and have had 0 problems with those magazines.

I have not tried feeding the gun hollow point ammo yet. I have a box of 20 somewhere and want to experiment. I'll post that on the forum when I do it.

Last edited:

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    HA, I just realized after having typed my response and read below the original post that somebody is looking for me. Hope I helped. If not PM or continue the discussion here.

The reason the search wasn't pulling me up is because Hardballing missed the "." in Doug.38PR Anyway, here i am :)

Thank you for recomending me Hardballing

Last edited:

WINGBONE2

WINGBONE2
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    HA, I just realized after having typed my response and read below the original post that somebody is looking for me. Hope I helped. If not PM or continue the discussion here.

The reason the search wasn't pulling me up is because Hardballing missed the "." in Doug.38PR Anyway, here i am :)

Thank you for recomending me Hardballing

Ok, Doug.38 your the man I need to talk to! I currently have 2 Inland Carbines. They shoot great, but I wanted a AO with the paratrooper stock. I know AO makes 3 models, which do you have? I looked at a paratrooper Saturday at Jims in BR. The actions on them don't feel as smooth to me as my Inlands. I know this is prolly because my Inlands have seen a few rounds down the pipe and are broken in. How are the folding peep sights for accuracy? The reviews I read did say alot about mag quality being poor........

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    I own the standard M-1 http://www.auto-ordnance.com/PA-1AO_m1.html (the one at the top...except mine has a lighter color wood instead of that horrible looking glossy cherry color).
    Like the AO you handled, the action on mine is a little stiff. BUT if you slingshot the action it feeds fine (which is really what your supposed to do anyway on any semi auto). If, on the other hand, you work the action both ways with your hand/finger to feed, the round might get hanged up on the ramp.
    I think your statement of the Inlands being worked in hits the nail on the head. Like a baseball glove, a semi-automatic anything usually needs to be worked in with a few hundred rounds of use.
    In any case, like I said, with good magazines I haven't had a single jamming problem yet when firing the gun.
    I like my action to be smooth too, but I'll let time and wear do that. If worst comes to worst, a good gunsmith could probably smooth it out for a modest fee.

as for the sights. They aren't bad at all! I was pretty impressed. When I first brought the gun home I did some offhand shooting with the gun at a target and had a good grouping in the SE corner of the bullseye (but this was probably due to my shooting manner, I have yet to shoot it resting on anything and slow shooting...the gun is that much fun to snoot ;) ). If you don't like the L folding peep sights, you can get adjustable ones at Fulton Armory. http://www.fulton-armory.com/ They cost about $50.

Last edited:

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    UPDATE: I just put 3 rounds of Federal lead nosed 110 gr bullets through the AO Carbine. No problems. Fed just fine. (while ejecting a 4th round) This particular ammunition isn't cheap so I was very selective about what I shot at

I put two rounds into one of these http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/23471-1.html
    The target has been shot away from other rounds and rain so it was just the black painted steel circle I was shooting at. I shot from about 20 yards away downhill resting on a wooden post on my back dock using the higher L flip sight. I was trying to shoot the center and it struck just above the center where the steel of the target starts connecting to the spinning bar.
    I then shot at it again from about 5 yards away offhand hitting it in the center.

I will say this....people say "oh the .30 Carbine is just a rifle version of the .357 Magnum." Some say "the .357 Magnum is more powerful" or "the M-1 just shoots pistol ammo".....I just proved, to myself at least, that that is just not true.
    I've fired dozens of blunt lead nosed and hollow point 125 gr .357 Magnums from 4-6 inch barrels into that target and one .44 Magnum from a 10 inch barrel.
    The steel spinner just had the usual lead explosion mark wherever the .357 contacted the surface. No damage. The .44 Magnum (the spinner is rated for .44 magnum but probably not from an unusual 10 inch barrel) put a slight slight dent in the surface.

The lead nosed 110 .30 Carbine fired from the 18 inch barrel of a M-1 Carbine on the other hand, while it didn't go all the way through, it did create an impressive indention stretch in the steel of the target. Had the rounds ben FMJ they might have actually gone through and I would even venture to say that even the lead nosed rounds, placed one or two more on top of each other would have pushed through. Whatever the M-1 Carbine may be, it ain't "just" pistol ammo and it's quite a bit more powerful than even a .44 Magnum and certainly the .357 magnum

I fired the third lead nosed round into a sand pile and it expands pretty good!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom