Karate advice for my kids

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • senseibuddy

Black Riflin' & Glock'n
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    st amant
    I teach a blended system based on Shotokan. It is our primary style, but all my years in Judo, Tang Soo do, Aikido and Kenpo have given me insight to make my ciriculum very diverse.
    We teach in no particular order:
    Katas
    Sweeps
    Take downs
    one steps
    three steps

weapons*
    bo (staff)
    nitan bo (escrima)
    nunchuka
    sai
    Koga Ryu Ninjitsu Sword kata and presentation(brown belt level and up)

we also incorporate our take downs, sweeps and throws into our sparring. So its very much like an MMA school but its done with respect to the each arts foundation on technique and purpose. it is common place in my dojo to see folks stand up and duke, get thrown and then get choked or locked to end that match.
    we are high on safety and it shows.

my .02

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I practiced Kenpo for years both Hawaian and American, and the best advice that I can give you is to look for a system similar to what "senseibuddy" offers. Look for a school that does not focus on one art or discipline only as it will help them to become better fighters.

Also make sure that the school that you decide to use does not see it as a belt factory for economical benefit such as ATA, when I moved to the US I looked for places to train that offered my art I then realized that there was alsmost none and most of the Sensei's in the area had only attended seminars to compliment their training curriculum. My options were to start new training a new art, one of the things that got me away from it was the fact that most schools here would not endorse and validate my belt and eventhough I did not expected to be a black belt within a week I still would have liked to be respected as one, what we usually did at my school was to have them drop 2 or 3 belts and they were able to move up when ready.

Either way dont waste your time and money a regular style type of a school and look for those out of the box, also find one that is based on the true original arts those that came from Okinawa since they will still teach you the essence of the system, and have a modern counter part to be realistic and effective.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    if you're signing them up for the self discipline, excercise, and fun of it it doesn't matter. for self defense i would not recomend taekwondo, its too much form concentrated imo. i have various levels of experience in karate, taekwondo, and krav maga. those are the only things I know much about.

senseibuddy

Black Riflin' & Glock'n
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    st amant
    Guate Shooter, good point! Schools who teach cookie cutter karate will produce dozens of black belts a year. Mass producing them in such a way that it dilutes its meaning.
    In my 15 years of teaching, I have awarded a total of 8 Shodan ranks (black belts). Ever. Thats a very small number vs the years in total.

Beware of the dojo that is all about sell sell sell, contracts and testing every 6 weeks....
    the dojo that is not caught up in flashy banners, big pro shops and very large classes are where you may find a great place to train.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    To get back to the original question, about kids. I would not recomend any martial art until they have completed the 1st grade, they get a chance to learn to get along with other children by then, being the reason. Styles really dont mean anything anymore they all work, there are egos that say they are the best in all systems, if you have kids watch for inflated egos there are plenty of good instructors and many bad ones I hate to say...John Simeone 10th Dan

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    I am in Judo in Lafayette at Acadian Martial Arts and our "sister club" is in Watson it is Wall to Wall Judo. It is taught by a great guy Sensai James Wall and his wife Patty Wall as well as a few other Black belts that came out of their dojo also teach as assistant Sensais. They also teach Aikido and JuJitsu as well but only to older kids.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    +1

I am in Judo in Lafayette at Acadian Martial Arts and our "sister club" is in Watson it is Wall to Wall Judo. It is taught by a great guy Sensai James Wall and his wife Patty Wall as well as a few other Black belts that came out of their dojo also teach as assistant Sensais. They also teach Aikido and JuJitsu as well but only to older kids.

James Wall is a good guy, and good instructor. One bonus is that he has and I assume still does teach his own children and as such has a very personal interest in teaching children safely and effectively. As an art Judo is a good start and foundation. I would recommend allowing your kids to experience multiple arts as they get older and master one. Also they may take to one more naturally. Sensei Buddy's type of program probably wouldn't hurt either.

As with almost anything it depends on the teacher and watching a class on short notice or with a friend of yours who have their kids enrolled will give you a good preview. As a child (1st-3rd grade) I experienced a Karate instructor that encourage some "iron body" type conditioning such as running on gravel, so be wary of what you are willing to tolerate for your children.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom