Kayak fishing???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I have been wanting to for so long it is ridiculous. Always some stupid excuse not to do it. JD an administrator on here does and if I remember correctly has a really sick Hobbie setup (Mirage Pro Angler). The miracle drive systems are supposed to be the bees knees. Either way if you want some more info from guys in/around the area you should check these guys out they will point you in the right direction.... http://www.bckfc.org/forum/

Last edited:
    J

jayd

Sold the Pro Angler and just have a Big Game now that I haven't used since the spill
    'Fraid to eat the fish:(

KevinV916

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Have a native manta ray here.. it's definitely fun having a big redfish dragging you around on it. I tried my hand at fly fishing and haven't been able to get a single bite. May give it another go when it warms up a bit.

idunno

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    I have been wanting to for so long it is ridiculous. Always some stupid excuse not to do it. JD an administrator on here does and if I remember correctly has a really sick Hobbie setup (Mirage Pro Angler). The miracle drive systems are supposed to be the bees knees. Either way if you want some more info from guys in/around the area you should check these guys out they will point you in the right direction.... http://www.bckfc.org/forum/

Yeah, I'm a member. Was going to post up a link if anyone seemed to be interested. That forum is a wealth of information for anyone interested in kayak fishing.

Was just curious to see if anyone on here did it.

I have been kayak fishing for about 2 years now and it's a blast when you hook into an upper slot red fish or larger. My biggest to date is about 34" and an estimated 14-15#. Had a 4-1/2' alligator gar tow me around one day and haven't had anything else come close to that ride yet.

I'm hoping to get after some bull sharks in Lake Pontchartrain some time this summer. A buddy with a bay boat is supposed to film that for me in case an insurance claim needs to be made.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, I'm a member. Was going to post up a link if anyone seemed to be interested. That forum is a wealth of information for anyone interested in kayak fishing.

Was just curious to see if anyone on here did it.

I have been kayak fishing for about 2 years now and it's a blast when you hook into an upper slot red fish or larger. My biggest to date is about 34" and an estimated 14-15#. Had a 4-1/2' alligator gar tow me around one day and haven't had anything else come close to that ride yet.

I'm hoping to get after some bull sharks in Lake Pontchartrain some time this summer. A buddy with a bay boat is supposed to film that for me in case an insurance claim needs to be made.

Sounds awesome sometimes I watch those open water kayak fishing videos on youtube. Looks like a blast. I love to fish and had regular access to a boat when I was living in Florida. I moved here for school and really only have one buddy that fishes and he is one of those guys that are OCD about their boats so it is difficult for me to enjoy fishing. The lack of nice beaches, fresh water springs, and the inability to fish on a regular basis makes me hate this state sometimes. However, drive through daiquiris, fried food, and Mardi Gras offset it somewhat.....

idunno

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    Where we lack beaches and freshwater springs, we more than make up for with a VAST marsh. It may not be the same type of water you're used to, but it's fishing. Being in NO, you're pretty much right in the middle of it.

Get you a kayak and give it a shot.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Anytime you wanna make the drive down to Grand Isles there is great fishing from kayaks and by wading all around the Island.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I use to do allot of it. For no real reason just stoppped. I will say this catching just one 15lb red makes the trip worthwhile if off a kayak

idunno

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    I can definitely agree with you there. Getting dragged around by a big red fish is pretty exciting. Hopefully, I can get out in Pontchartrain this summer and go after some bull sharks.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Used to do it in the freshwater with my homemade pirogue. Only went a few times but had been wanting to take it out in the marsh, just not quite stable enough for my tastes. That and the cost of those kayaks are crazy, but that's not to say it still isn't fun. :)

idunno

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    Also, if anyone is interested, Bobby Lynn's Marina in Leeville should be starting to rent kayaks in March. They will have many options up to and including the Hobies with Mirage drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mmabone
    Top Bottom