Kayak

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Any good forums out there?

I'm looking for one I can use for both salt and fresh water (Rivers and lakes), Fishing and not.

2 Dry compartments...

Ability to take an outrigger... would be good too.

I've done alittle, no expert.

Done ALOT of small boat work, anphib, etc.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've been thinking about one also. I don't know of a good forum.

Kayaks seem to be either dedicated whitewater boats or sea kayaks. There are some boats that would work for both but they tend to be sit on tops or ones that are functional but won't do well in either. I also have the added complication in that I need one with extra capacity for big guys (for that extra gear storage of course). I think that means I'll have to buy one of each!

The Backpacker (gear store in B.R. ) offers occasional paddle weekends. They bring out a dozen boats to the lake by LSU, etc. and let you try a few. Get on their email list to find out when the next one will be. Unfortunately, they usually anounce it the day before so I haven't managed to get to one yet.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Try these folks. http://www.bayouhaystackers.com/ I haven't paddled with them in years but they are an active and great bunch. Most of my experience is in canoe camping and whitewater, I really don't know fishing kayaks. One bit of advice, do not scimp on you paddle. Cheap equals heavy which just beats you down.

Duck Jenkins

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    NO/LA Area
    cheap = heavy
    cheap= less efficient

I agree with 007, but I am using cheap b/c the paddle good paddles cost as much as my boat. errrrr

BruslyTiger

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    Brusly, LA
    Any good forums out there?

I'm looking for one I can use for both salt and fresh water (Rivers and lakes), Fishing and not.

2 Dry compartments...

Ability to take an outrigger... would be good too.

I've done alittle, no expert.

Done ALOT of small boat work, anphib, etc.

If you plan to do any fishing out of it then you would want a Sit-on-top. They usually only come with one large dry compartment and a large well behind the seat. They may also come with small dry compartments for phones and wallets.

The distance you want to paddle will determine how long of a kayak to get. If it is short paddles of less than a couple of miles, then under 14' will probably be ok. If you plan on longer paddles then you might want to look at a 14' kayak or longer. The longer they are the heavier they get and the less maneuverable they become, unless equipped with a rudder,, but they track better on the water and take much less effort if you are just taking a day trip or camping.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    Just throwing this out there. I have fished out of kayaks (and every other kind of boat), and wouldn't trade my 15'-4" Gheenoe for ANY of them. It paddles as easy as a canoe, goes just about anywhere a kayak will, sits low in the water, is much more stable than canoe or kayak, and you have the option of putting a outboard on it. Cost about the same as a good kayak.

Mine has the built in livewell w/fresh water pump, bilge pump, trolling motor bracket w/plug, and running lights. I have a 15hp Yami on the back, and it gets you where your going QUICKLY.

If I raise the motor and sit on the middle or front seat, I am drafting around 3" of water.

IMG_20110528_170020-1.jpg

IMG_20110528_170031.jpg

IMG_20110528_170043.jpg

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I have allot of experience in kayak fishing. (don't do it any more though) I would suggest the Wilderness System Tarpon. It can do what you need it to. If you weigh more than 250 then get the Ride. Perception Search's are nice too but basically a Tarpon since they are sister companies. I could tell you what not to get but that's allot of stuff to type.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    4x4demon, most people call them microskiffs or river boats. The basic shape resembles a pirogue, but the similarities kind of end there. The shape of the sides make them very stable. My Gheenoe also has a weight capacity of 675 lbs., which I found impressive for a boat that is 15'4" long and weighs about 100lbs. It is rated for 10hp, but the 4-stroke 9.9 I had on it seemed a little heavy so I switched to a 15hp 2-stroke which is 23 lbs lighter.

Not trying to highjack your thread nomad, but depending on what you plan to do, maybe a Gheenoe would be worth looking at. I have fished, frogged, hunted, and paddled through the swamps crawfishing with my Gheenoe. Just depends on what your looking to use your boat for.

PS - How's the Rover doing?

Last edited:

BRitchieLCK

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, La
    Not exactly sure where you live but The Backpacker has kayak test rides so to speak every month. One month at the City Park lakes at the one with the beach in Baton Rouge and the one in Lafayette does one the next month in a lake/pond in Youngsville. You can look at several different models and take them out on the water to try them out.

idunno

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    Pack n Paddle in Lafayette also has Demo days from time to time. If you call ahead, they can set up a private demo of any of the models they have in stock at Lake Martin which is not far from their store at all.

Definitely check out Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club... Loads of information about kayak fishing there. Most of the guys are dedicated salt water fishermen, but there are a few freshwater guys in the mix.

Forgot the link... www.bckfc.org

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    4x4demon, most people call them microskiffs or river boats. The basic shape resembles a pirogue, but the similarities kind of end there. The shape of the sides make them very stable. My Gheenoe also has a weight capacity of 675 lbs., which I found impressive for a boat that is 15'4" long and weighs about 100lbs. It is rated for 10hp, but the 4-stroke 9.9 I had on it seemed a little heavy so I switched to a 15hp 2-stroke which is 23 lbs lighter.

Not trying to highjack your thread nomad, but depending on what you plan to do, maybe a Gheenoe would be worth looking at. I have fished, frogged, hunted, and paddled through the swamps crawfishing with my Gheenoe. Just depends on what your looking to use your boat for.

PS - How's the Rover doing?

Sorry I'm late getting back to this thread... but the rover left me stranded by the side of the road.:wtc:
    (Rear Drive shaft... not just the Universal joint, but it cracked the 'plate' attached to the transmition):hs::wtc:

Kayak:
    I'm curretnly going to school in the Ozarks, and want to be able to use it not just on the lakes, but on the rivers.

That said, I'm contemplating moving to Key West for a few months in January after I graduate and being a beach bum. (Grad school is online)

Hense the dual use.

Real Kayak... Not necessarily one with a skirt. It'll be on top the truck, and my Enduro will be on a Hitch mount I'm thinking.
    (Interested in one of those 'cargo boxes' which will fit atop a SUV which will also leave room for a Kayak)
    I don't mind spending the money if it's worthit.

I will look for used, once I know what to look for.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mmabone
    Top Bottom